Montana upland hunt - semi live

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So Earl and I drove out to North Central Montana this past weekend - hunted Sunday afternoon, Monday, and today - have 4 more days to go before I have to head home. Kind of a "busman's holiday" as I am hunting in the mornings and working in the afternoons.

Earl turned 9 months old on 8 September.

We have taken sharptails and dove so far. Seen a ton of whitetails and muleys. Earl has also decided he is a natural born shed dog

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Awesome! Heading to NODAK at the end of the month...sharp tails are the special medicine for young dogs

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Love it out there - spent a week in Missoula and Glacier National Park last month.

Enjoy your wingshooting - jealous!!!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Congrats! Hoping to head to Montana next year for spring black bear, wish there were some bird seasons open then...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Nice!! Hows the weather? We will be heading out for our annual Elk Hunt next Wednesday for two weeks.

been cool and cloudy mostly - rain some - makes the roads slick (gumbo) - supposed to clear up and stay sunny for a while starting tomorrow

25contender

Twelve Pointer
been cool and cloudy mostly - rain some - makes the roads slick (gumbo) - supposed to clear up and stay sunny for a while starting tomorrow
Yes sir I used to hunt the Charles M Russel in the Missouri Breaks for elk. I remember the gumbo well. Spent quite a few days at camp shooting mice off a stump!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
rained pretty good last night,,,dang mess out here,,,,may have to head to the Southeast corner a day early to see what it's like down there,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can they not afford any trees???
No, depending on the area. The first time I was in that general area coon hunting we treed them on utility poles, abandoned school buses, fence posts, hay stacks and barns, and the occasional tree if you were around a drainage. The guy that invited me out there's favorite saying was "a bumble bee could set on his ass and see for miles around here". And he wasn't lying.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
No, depending on the area. The first time I was in that general area coon hunting we treed them on utility poles, abandoned school buses, fence posts, hay stacks and barns, and the occasional tree if you were around a drainage. The guy that invited me out there's favorite saying was "a bumble bee could set on his ass and see for miles around here". And he wasn't lying.
And there are a lot of furbearers out there too...In North Dakota I was surprised the amount of badgers I saw.