Monster Trout

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Landed 10 tonight, the biggest 2 around 2-2.5# ‘bows. One last stop on way home at the Gorge by my house. Lots of pressure but thought mid-week maybe. Waters twice as high as I’ve ever seen. Must have really opened the dam. Had a hit on a Fat head Minnow so re-rigged and first toss a solid hit. I hear the drag singing and get a few light turns on him and he somehow popped my Flouro Leader. A week of rain and snow but I fished anyway. New Okuma Helios Reel and St. Croix 7’6” UL running Berkley Vanish braid with a 4# Flouro Leader. Light drag setting should have easily held. Broke at the swivel/hoop on the leader. Must have caught a lucky snag. Couldn’t happen on a 2-3 lbs. Stockie had to be my biggest trout ever. Know what doing tomorrow in the rain?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The bigger few I threw back

Attachments

• AB249BC7-2211-4B13-83CF-ABBE332BFFF5.jpeg
    AB249BC7-2211-4B13-83CF-ABBE332BFFF5.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 33727C50-8A6A-40C6-A078-5B0BE2428510.jpeg
    33727C50-8A6A-40C6-A078-5B0BE2428510.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 62
  • BB00F083-0F92-47E3-B522-DE16036EB3FF.jpeg
    BB00F083-0F92-47E3-B522-DE16036EB3FF.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 59

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Still learning the CPR process so future releases will stay in water. I had the second one at the dam so hard to get right to water but not good to have her lying on the concrete. From now on just leaving in net in water.

jad

Four Pointer
Sounds like a good trip and great looking fish ...
gotta ask where about were you not asking for the exact spot

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
NEPA Poconos, the small creeks and the Lehigh. I actually hooked the biggest right at the heavy pressured boat launch below my house. I live above Glen Onoko. If your at the raft/boat launch in Jim Thorpe/Glen Onoko and look right above the old train “cave” in the cliff if you look straight up there is a lookout opposite the falls. It’s my backyard. I hooked the 10+ I threw back at the Pohopco Creek. Same holes everyone else hits. Looking for an NRS Framed Raft to hit from Whitehaven down to Bowmanstown. I’m heading to a new Creek tomorrow. A Friend filled a tailgate with beautiful Palominos between him and a Guy he fishes with. That regions been open a bit longer so less pressure. I’m not a purist targeting only natives yet. I’ll take a 3-5 lbs. Stockie any day. I throw back all though I did keep a badly hooked ‘bow today from the launch. I had a decent smallmouth I landed too. I was getting a lot of hits and chases but most 15-16” ‘bows. I’m trying to break that 20” mark so tomorrow will put the miles on.

Attachments

• CF375396-EFC4-4F3A-8910-DBD222A887EA.jpeg
    CF375396-EFC4-4F3A-8910-DBD222A887EA.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 17
  • A0746AC6-DF1F-46EA-A90C-16134E6585EE.jpeg
    A0746AC6-DF1F-46EA-A90C-16134E6585EE.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 17

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The ‘bow was the deep hooked one. Thinking after I break the 20” mark I’ll park my new St. Croix and try some dry flies. Haven’t touched a fly since I was 15.

This was my 6 year old’s out of same boat launch. He still has the biggest at 2.5 for a Brookie. We are still fishing everyday regardless of snow/rain. Going to try and get my 4 year old out Sat. If it breaks 60 degrees. Back to work Monday.

Attachments

• 13DD3FD8-7C46-4EB8-8F0C-454631FD4E49.jpeg
    13DD3FD8-7C46-4EB8-8F0C-454631FD4E49.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 15

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been hitting about this sized ‘bow everyday. Usually 2-3 at least. Can’t seem to find the bigger ones but fishing heavy pressure areas. I run a lot of different baits, lures, and rigs though to figure out their preference. It’s funny how you’ll throw out all kinds of stuff and when you find the right combo they hit from everywhere. I tend to fish shallower than seems practical lately. The coil water and high current/level seem to be bringing them right in close.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
If your up this way as I know some are feel free to park at my place. The upper 3 car garage. The lower is a vacation rental. Just park near the fence on the concrete wall across from the garages so we can get threw. You can access the Upper Park entrance from my street. Only 3 houses on Onoko Lane. Mines the big stone one with alll the lots. Can’t miss it, it’s an old church retreat and all native stone. The trail down to the old Hotel ruins is rough so be careful. If you drop down on the old pipe/ water supply it puts you right across from launch and just upriver. It’s a great spot in the summer. Puts you right in the deep channel above the launch. Just leave a note so if she sees the strange vehicle on one of the cameras she knows it’s ok.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Sorry AC is killing me tonight. For my NC Friends the Rental is mostly booked into June on weekends but she has weekdays open and we can always accommodate on the opposite side in the “Lodge” Work has held up the climbing wall and other reconstruction so it’s still a 1000 sq ft 2 bed setup with bar and fridge over there. Just no private bath on that side yet. As always all my NC Friends welcome.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That’s wi
NEPA Poconos, the small creeks and the Lehigh. I actually hooked the biggest right at the heavy pressured boat launch below my house. I live above Glen Onoko. If your at the raft/boat launch in Jim Thorpe/Glen Onoko and look right above the old train “cave” in the cliff if you look straight up there is a lookout opposite the falls. It’s my backyard. I hooked the 10+ I threw back at the Pohopco Creek. Same holes everyone else hits. Looking for an NRS Framed Raft to hit from Whitehaven down to Bowmanstown. I’m heading to a new Creek tomorrow. A Friend filled a tailgate with beautiful Palominos between him and a Guy he fishes with. That regions been open a bit longer so less pressure. I’m not a purist targeting only natives yet. I’ll take a 3-5 lbs. Stockie any day. I throw back all though I did keep a badly hooked ‘bow today from the launch. I had a decent smallmouth I landed too. I was getting a lot of hits and chases but most 15-16” ‘bows. I’m trying to break that 20” mark so tomorrow will put the miles on.
Wild I used to live in Delaware water gap