Monster Fox Squirrel at 50 yards with a 410

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Lasttombstone would be happy as his FQ gun is a 410.
Went Skirl hunting today and made a few sits then decided to move to another spot. Sneaking through the woods I came upon a nice saddleback one foraging on the ground. I got as close as maybe 5O yards but could not get any closer . Let the 410 rip and had to run up 20 yards and let go with another but squirrel was done with first I just dont like to see anything suffer.
First shell may have ben TSS ..lol
Not really a monster but a good big one. 2.5 lbs and body was 15 inches and tail 16 inches.
Longest I have shot was 17 inches nose to Base of tail and tail was 17.5 inches for 34.5'' total. Heaviest I have shot was 3.4 lbs

video out in a few weeks on my hunting channel.

IMG_20221203_130502245.jpgIMG_20221203_131159679.jpgIMG_20221203_131223127.jpg

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Let's hear about that 410 and see a full pic of it.
Its a fun little gun. Not near perfect. I bought it off an employee maybe 12-15 years back and the stock was in rough shape and it had light rust on it.
I refinished the stock and got the light rust off. Blueing is worn and not great on some places but think I am gonna leave it as it as I kinda like the patina that it has as it shows that it has seen some duty in the past. I will try to post pics this week. Stevens 59B capacity of 3. full choke.

Wolverine

Spike
That is a huge squirrel! Here on the inner banks the best I've done is 14oz. Haven't seen a fox, only tiny greys.