Monday is almost here...

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You n @Ol Copper gonna have me buying collars and building a truck box before the old man ever says anything to me bout taking one of them dogs 🥴🥴🥴 and yeah one of them guys said I’m only allowed to hunt again if I shave and I said god almighty y’all think I’m ugly now ...don’t tell me to shave
I know a guy that does some REALLY nice truck boxes. @nccatfisher can hook you up!!! Just wait til the spring he’s too busy chasin coons and such til then....🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: DRS

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Nice Bear, we hunted behind my camp today hadn't hunted it in a couple of years took 2, one was 297lbs the other one was 308lbs good running long drags even with the winches. As far a Yancey buying hounds I'm thinking hard on buying out an older gentleman's whole pack of hounds just to get his 3 Black and Tans that would leave 2 walkers, and 4 redbones I'd make him a real good deal and even throw in a dog box.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
You n @Ol Copper gonna have me buying collars and building a truck box before the old man ever says anything to me bout taking one of them dogs 🥴🥴🥴 and yeah one of them guys said I’m only allowed to hunt again if I shave and I said god almighty y’all think I’m ugly now ...don’t tell me to shave

shave? Or never go hunting again?

tough decision but I’m afraid the whiskers would be gone if that was the case. Haha

I’ll start blue prints for kennels. And I’ll help ya sale the trapping gear gonna need the extra money for them hounds brother! Haha

RJ1

Ten Pointer
@RJ1 .... congrats on ya'll taking 2 bears ! I'm sure it was a thrill to run them on your farm.
Congrats on the bears !!!!! (y)(y)

Actually it belongs to my FiL he bought it years ago as a place to retire but my MiL says it is to far up in the mountains and to far away from a city for her to live there which is really funny because they both grew up in Australia on sheep ranches I have been to both of them and they are in the way outback . I lease it from him and made a hunting camp out of it.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Nice Bear, we hunted behind my camp today hadn't hunted it in a couple of years took 2, one was 297lbs the other one was 308lbs good running long drags even with the winches. As far a Yancey buying hounds I'm thinking hard on buying out an older gentleman's whole pack of hounds just to get his 3 Black and Tans that would leave 2 walkers, and 4 redbones I'd make him a real good deal and even throw in a dog box.
Congratulations on a successful day. If you buy those hounds and need to recoup some cash send me a PM . I'm sure I will need to replace one of two soon . I tend to end up with dogs that commit suicide or have to lay up for a while to recover. Thanks

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
It is a lifelong addiction. Looks like next year I may be back to chasing hounds. I will not be getting dogs but joining back with a club that RUNS dogs like I grew up hunting. I have always said "if drugs are more addictive than a pack of hounds, I am sure glad I never tried them!" New dog box and radio in the future.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Many of which made me laugh. What’s that old saying? “It’s funny cuz it’s true.” They’ve definitely got me on the hook for the season. I’m sure @Bluedogman will be doing the same once we turn loose them coon dogs in a couple weeks. I talked to The Boy today to finalize the plans for this weekends squirrel hunt for his birthday. After bout 5 min he told me he really wanted to bear hunt instead. You can imagine how disappointed I was. He’s having a rough go between being in a city school, starting therapy, court battles, and adjusting to yet another new family(his new mama is a damn good woman). I Decided I’d take him for the whole weekend so he can have some fun and I have more one on one time to make him understand we been thru similar things and that he needs to trust me just like I need to trust him. All the houndsmen been asking about him and wanna get him in on some hot races and hopefully kill a boar we’ve been seeing around one of the properties. I’ll keep you updated.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thanks. Glad to hear you had some good races and harvested 2. I don’t remember whether I’ve mentioned it or not , but my only issue regarding getting a pack of hunting dogs is the place I live. Landlord said no way. Granted, we decided that’s grounds for moving somewhere else. Just trying to get thru school before pulling the trigger on that decision. But dang it pains me to turn down the offer . Keep us in the loop about how your season progresses

Reactions: RJ1

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
The Boy will be in from Tennessee this evening. Asked him whether he still wanted to squirrel hunt or not and he wants to go chase bear dogs. Looks like it’s gonna be 35 tomorrow morning. It’ll be a good time to give him the new carhartt @Woods and water sent to me in the mail. Thank you sir. At this time tomorrow we will be headed to my mentor’s house to load up the hounds. Gonna keep trying to get that new Plott dog dialed in. Should be a great day to try to fill a tag for someone.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
The Boy will be in from Tennessee this evening. Asked him whether he still wanted to squirrel hunt or not and he wants to go chase bear dogs. Looks like it’s gonna be 35 tomorrow morning. It’ll be a good time to give him the new carhartt @Woods and water sent to me in the mail. Thank you sir. At this time tomorrow we will be headed to my mentor’s house to load up the hounds. Gonna keep trying to get that new Plott dog dialed in. Should be a great day to try to fill a tag for someone.
We will be waiting for the pictures and story brother

RJ1

Ten Pointer

Good luck to you guys, I'm done for this week be back at the camp Sunday afternoon to get ready for Monday morning not a bad week treed bear everyday we took 5 the biggest was 332lbs let a few of the hook to let them grow some more. Had one hound get cut but it was nothing a few staples couldn't take care of he we be back running in a week or so.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Good luck to you guys, I'm done for this week be back at the camp Sunday afternoon to get ready for Monday morning not a bad week treed bear everyday we took 5 the biggest was 332lbs let a few of the hook to let them grow some more. Had one hound get cut but it was nothing a few staples couldn't take care of he we be back running in a week or so.
Glad to hear it I’ll keep you updated!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Good deal, now get out there and get it dirty
We certainly did. Hunted sun up to sundown. Made him break a sweat enough to shed that jacket haha. Crazy day. Dogs all over the place, tracks getting crossed up (and prob a few worked backwards), bears treeing n coming back out n running thru younger bear tracks , young dogs wandering, etc. I know I’m preaching to the choir. Finally got on one that ran our dogs in circles, zig zags and everything else. Me, The Boy , and my wife finally hopped in the truck to drive around to another logging road to get where the dogs were treed. Sure enough, the bear came back out before we stepped foot in the woods. Dogs bayed it in a creek till it decided to run 20 yds and tree again and a couple of our other guys were able to slip in and kill it. My one buddy wanted his young son to build some confidence so they had him shoot it on the ground to “finish it off” (it was dead a few min beforehand) , and he was proud as can be. Smaller than that 340 lb sow the other day. 225. Same as the other tho...not nursing, no cubs, super fat. Next one will be a boar. Went back to the farm and we skinned N butchered it. My wife’s got the bug and she’s already planning when she wants to go again. We all came home with a nice haul of meat and plenty of stories. We’re wore slap out. Don’t mind my crappy editing on the one pic. He didn’t want his son’s face floating around on the internet but we thought it was a great pic.

877130A4-F022-4BF1-839E-63B7D080ED6D.jpegF552EBEC-B6CA-49B7-9232-381B0F9AB051.jpeg521B982F-1682-4455-8E22-457A0450AD97.jpeg

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Lost a good one today. Wasn’t able to go with em today since I’m gearing up for the Browntown Coon Hunt with @Bluedogman . Anyways, my mentor and a few other guys turned 12 hounds loose this morning. Got on a big bear that decided he’d rather fight than go up a tree. Dogs walked him for quite a bit. By the time the younger fellers caught up to the dogs, the bear had killed one dog and injured another that had to be carried out. Sadie was my mentor’s best female. She was my favorite dog to walk on a lead Back to the truck after leaving the tree. She never once got far enough in front of me for the lead to go taunt. She was fierce in the pack and had a nice sound to her. She’d always try to blast thru the hole in the dog box if I ate snacks on her side of the truck. Dang bear bout ripped her lungs out. She will be missed for sure

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Lost a good one today. Wasn’t able to go with em today since I’m gearing up for the Browntown Coon Hunt with @Bluedogman . Anyways, my mentor and a few other guys turned 12 hounds loose this morning. Got on a big bear that decided he’d rather fight than go up a tree. Dogs walked him for quite a bit. By the time the younger fellers caught up to the dogs, the bear had killed one dog and injured another that had to be carried out. Sadie was my mentor’s best female. She was my favorite dog to walk on a lead Back to the truck after leaving the tree. She never once got far enough in front of me for the lead to go taunt. She was fierce in the pack and had a nice sound to her. She’d always try to blast thru the hole in the dog box if I ate snacks on her side of the truck. Dang bear bout ripped her lungs out. She will be missed for sure
The best ones always seem to get hurt. It sucks when you lose a good one and I've lost many . I want to run tomorrow but our season is a week away and I can't afford to lose what I have before the season. When a bear kills a good hound I want the bear dead . Funny but true a friend had a great hound killed by a bear which I killed a couple days later , I called and said I had killed him and my buddy said don't skin him yet I'm on my way, he pulled up to my farm walked over to the bear and shot it with a 44 , got back in the truck and left lol

Reactions: RJ1

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
The best ones always seem to get hurt. It sucks when you lose a good one and I've lost many . I want to run tomorrow but our season is a week away and I can't afford to lose what I have before the season. When a bear kills a good hound I want the bear dead . Funny but true a friend had a great hound killed by a bear which I killed a couple days later , I called and said I had killed him and my buddy said don't skin him yet I'm on my way, he pulled up to my farm walked over to the bear and shot it with a 44 , got back in the truck and left lol
Haha yeah that sounds about right. My mentor said he was gonna sit in a deer stand and wait for that bear to come back thru and shoot it. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen that man resemble anything I’d consider “sad.” One positive takeaway from it was that the dogs did end up on another bear that day and his new Plott female was there at the tree with the bear up in it when the boys got up there.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Crazy day yesterday. Long and the short of it is....dogs struck pretty quick and went blistering down the mountain and in and out of hollers on the heels of a boar. He was either walking the dogs or fighting with them. Finally got some people caught up with em and he was wallering dogs left n right. One dog needed his side patched up but we didn’t take any losses and the others faired pretty well. Downhill drag to the truck. Maybe 500 yds. Got to test out the new transfer case plenty lol. 380lbs. Good day for all! Definitely a family hunt. Spouses, cousins, kids, you name it. Looking forward to hear how Monday goes for @Woods and water and whoever else hunts starting Monday.
D6E128AD-BCDB-470A-8AC1-5D03D62F066C.jpeg0606857E-5AFB-48AC-B68B-511F24550099.jpeg57C99FC8-391A-408A-A4C6-76FA85E60425.jpeg