Monday is almost here...

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My mentor called me first thing this morning to confirm our hunt opening day. It’s gonna be the usual suspects so it’ll be a good time. He also said he just got a 2 year old female plott and wants me to be involved with training so I’m excited about that. Also mentioned he wants me loading/unloading dogs like I did last time and of course chasing the hounds in the woods. Can’t wait gonna be a blast

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There isn’t anything like a young dog when they do good. On the other hand there isn’t anything that will make your hair turn the color of mine like one when they have those teenage days.

My next to the last one was absolutely gifted and never gave me a minutes trouble as far as stupid stuff. She was a little aggravating over being an over achiever but she was so much fun she caused me to eat my words and I now have a younger one that as well has been much much easier that most pups. Had I not just been through his sister he would be by far my best young one on record. But I have had some that have almost driven me nuts over the years. A couple in my early years I even gave up on that knowing what I do now I shouldn’t. Also a couple I didn’t that knowing what I do now I should have.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Thought this might be a skirl hunting thread 😁

We are ready for Monday too. Wanted to get in one last run before the rains come. Will be my dogs 2nd year, she just turned 2 back in July.

Lots of squirrels this year, she struck 'em real good on sight, held the tree and lit it up pretty dang good this evening. Treed a couple in short time. She knows what I expect her to do for sure now, hope we dont hit too many bone-headed moments this year.

Good luck to ya @YanceyGreenhorn. Hope y'all kill some, been seeing lots of bear lately. Keep up with me, I may have a spot or 2 out towards Green Mtn/Pigeon Roost y'all can turn out in late season....

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thought this might be a skirl hunting thread 😁

We are ready for Monday too. Wanted to get in one last run before the rains come. Will be my dogs 2nd year, she just turned 2 back in July.

Lots of squirrels this year, she struck 'em real good on sight, held the tree and lit it up pretty dang good this evening. Treed a couple in short time. She knows what I expect her to do for sure now, hope we dont hit too many bone-headed moments this year.

Good luck to ya @YanceyGreenhorn. Hope y'all kill some, been seeing lots of bear lately. Keep up with me, I may have a spot or 2 out towards Green Mtn/Pigeon Roost y'all can turn out in late season....
Heck yeah. Don’t forget I’d be happy to chase that skirl dog with ya too. There’s only one thing I truly wanna watch dogs hunt, and that’s everything.
Bar, that boy be huntin bars.
Haha that’s right

Reactions: DRS

RJ1

Ten Pointer
My older hounds know it's near, when we pulled into the dog barn yesterday afternoon with 2 trucks to load them up for the to the hunting camp they got a little rowdy. When I pulled down to the dog pens at the camp this morning all 32 of them were standing at the wire ready to go.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My older hounds know it's near, when we pulled into the dog barn yesterday afternoon with 2 trucks to load them up for the to the hunting camp they got a little rowdy. When I pulled down to the dog pens at the camp this morning all 32 of them were standing at the wire ready to go.
I love hearing that. If I remember correctly, I think we should have about 16-20 on the ground tomorrow. A few are pups that will stay with me on leads as we hike to the tree. Plenty of experienced dogs too tho. Nice assortment of walkers, plotts, English, blues, and a few mixes of those mentioned above. Can’t wait

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I love hearing that. If I remember correctly, I think we should have about 16-20 on the ground tomorrow. A few are pups that will stay with me on leads as we hike to the tree. Plenty of experienced dogs too tho. Nice assortment of walkers, plotts, English, blues, and a few mixes of those mentioned above. Can’t wait

I run 10 at a time so those that run on Monday will not run again until Thursday, got two really good young hounds that are doing everything they are suppose to do but they have never been in on a kill going to take one Monday and the other one Tuesday to see what happens. One is a cross between a B/T and a Bloodhound I haven't run a cross in a long time but I really think he is going to be an outstanding bear hound.

Reactions: DRS

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I run 10 at a time so those that run on Monday will not run again until Thursday, got two really good young hounds that are doing everything they are suppose to do but they have never been in on a kill going to take one Monday and the other one Tuesday to see what happens. One is a cross between a B/T and a Bloodhound I haven't run a cross in a long time but I really think he is going to be an outstanding bear hound.
Look forward to hearing your updates ! Sounds like you’ve got a fine pack of dogs

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Can't wait hear the tales I'll be chasing squirrels early if rain will hold off but may be short hunt gonna be awful warm for mid October

I spent alot of time with my dad and grandad chasing bears but I also spent alot of time chasing squirrels with them to.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
My mentor called me first thing this morning to confirm our hunt opening day. It’s gonna be the usual suspects so it’ll be a good time. He also said he just got a 2 year old female plott and wants me to be involved with training so I’m excited about that. Also mentioned he wants me loading/unloading dogs like I did last time and of course chasing the hounds in the woods. Can’t wait gonna be a blast
Better get a kennel ready. That young plott will probably be yours. We tried to earn you 🤣

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
CONGRATS!!!

Now that you’ve been along and killed one... you better for sure get started on those kennels!!! 😁😁😁
I did him one better. Someone contacted me about 2 nice shingled dog houses they’re getting rid of. I grabbed em for him and he’s on his way to get em now. Free of charge of course !

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
He’s certainly got a face that you won’t forget.... it’ll haunt your nightmares forever!!! 🤣🤣🤣
You n @Ol Copper gonna have me buying collars and building a truck box before the old man ever says anything to me bout taking one of them dogs 🥴🥴🥴 and yeah one of them guys said I’m only allowed to hunt again if I shave and I said god almighty y’all think I’m ugly now ...don’t tell me to shave