Model 700 vs Model 7 in a 7mm/08

Middle Age Crazy

What are the pros and cons in these two actions if you are going to want to have either in a short action cartridge? I know there are more aftermarket goodies for the 700 but why did Remington come out with the Model 7 when they had a short action 700?

I want to buy a SS 7mm/08 this year but my options with a factory sporter weight contour barrel at 22 inches are rather slim. I don't want a mountain contour or a shorter barrel. Also considering a Kimber.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you’re looking for a factory 22” barrel in 7mm/08 you can rule out a Model 7, they only come in up to a 20” barrel.

Personally, I’m a fan of the 7mm/08 in a Remington Mtn Rifle, but it has the mountain contour.

If you’re going with a Kimber, look at the Hunter series. They have the 22” barrel you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Middle Age Crazy

I'm not too big on the plastic trigger guard and that stock does not look to be the quality one they used on the original Montana.

That SS Mountain Rifle looks to be the best option. Do you have one? How's the accuracy and how well can you shoot it offhand at say 100 yards? The stock looks to be better than average.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm not too big on the plastic trigger guard and that stock does not look to be the quality one they used on the original Montana.

That SS Mountain Rifle looks to be the best option. Do you have one? How's the accuracy and how well can you shoot it offhand at say 100 yards? The stock looks to be better than average.

I have the older model of the Mtn Rifle from the 80’s and early 90’s with the wood stock in both .280 and 7mm/08.

I haven’t shot either for groups offhand, but out of a Bulls Bag off the bench both will shoot a sub 1” group. The 7mm/08 has grouped around 1/2” maybe just a tad better. The .280 slightly larger maybe around 3/4”. Both with 150 gr Nosler Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips.

I’m a big fan of the Mtn Rifles, the only real downside to them is that the lighter weight, slimmer contoured barrel heats up quickly. That’s really only an issue when sighting in or working up loads. I just allow mine to cool between shots, it’s certainly not an issue when hunting.

Middle Age Crazy

I have the older model of the Mtn Rifle from the 80’s and early 90’s with the wood stock in both .280 and 7mm/08.

I haven’t shot either for groups offhand, but out of a Bulls Bag off the bench both will shoot a sub 1” group. The 7mm/08 has grouped around 1/2” maybe just a tad better. The .280 slightly larger maybe around 3/4”. Both with 150 gr Nosler Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips.

I’m a big fan of the Mtn Rifles, the only real downside to them is that the lighter weight, slimmer contoured barrel heats up quickly. That’s really only an issue when sighting in or working up loads. I just allow mine to cool between shots, it’s certainly not an issue when hunting.

Sorry I was not clear...........I was really more worried about being able to slap a good aftermarket stock on it ( without having to wait on a special order) and realized that mountain contour barrel will be swimming in most stocks OR I would rebarrel to a sporter contour. I also worried it might not be as accurate for the first shot steady or offhand. Not worried about groups ---just first cold bore shot. I don't want it heavy just mid weight to be steady hanging out of a tree and having to hit maybe 250 yds. at most and offhand, but also not too heavy to carry all day with my old bones. They make another with a 24 barrel that's standard---might be better to just cut that down and get a good stock as that stock looks real cheap on that model. I'd be very happy if it shot 3/4" as is and call it good. I've got a 270 that scary accurate I just want a new toy and have never owned a short action other than varmint catridges.

I always wanted a .280 great round

Last edited by a moderator:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry I was not clear...........I was really more worried about being able to slap a good aftermarket stock on it ( without having to wait on a special order) and realized that mountain contour barrel will be swimming in most stocks OR I would rebarrel to a sporter contour. I also worried it might not be as accurate for the first shot steady or offhand. Not worried about groups ---just first cold bore shot. I don't want it heavy just mid weight to be steady hanging out of a tree and having to hit maybe 250 yds. at most, but also not too heavy to carry all day with my old bones. They make another with a 24 barrel that's standard---might be better to just cut that down and get a good stock as that stock looks real cheap on that model. I'd be very happy if it shot 3/4" as is and call it good. I've got a 270 that scary accurate I just want a new toy and have never owned a short action other than varmit catridges.

I always wanted a .280 great round

HS Precision makes a stock for the Remington Mtn Rifle, they even had a model that came from the factory with one for awhile.

McMillan has one for the Mtn Rifle.

I’ve never had an issue with the first shot from a cold barrel being more than 1/2” off, which is pretty common with any rifle IME.
I’ve killed deer with the .280 out to 320 yards using the tree as a rest. So no issues there for me.

As far as weight, the older models I have weigh in at 6 3/4 lbs bare gun from the factory. Might be 6 1/2 lbs with the short action, I disremember currently. With a Leupold 3.5-10x40 and a full magazine they’re in the 8 lb range give or take a couple ounces. I’ve carried mine from hours before daylight until hours after dark when I hunted in the mountains. It wasn’t noticeable to me.

Middle Age Crazy

I was thinking a 2.5 x 8.0 Leupold would be perfect. I have one I bought in '86 that still works great. I'd rather have that 1.75 x 6.0 they stopped making a few years ago. That would be sweet on that short action. I'd like it to weigh in w/ scope about 7.5 lbs. Good to know about stocks being available. Is the HS the one they used on the Ti rifle about ten years ago?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was thinking a 2.5 x 8.0 Leupold would be perfect. I have one I bought in '86 that still works great. I'd rather have that 1.75 x 6.0 they stopped making a few years ago. That would be sweet on that short action. I'd like it to weigh in w/ scope about 7.5 lbs. Good to know about stocks being available. Is the HS the one they used on the Ti rifle about ten years ago?

I put a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on my Bil’s .270 Mtn Rifle. It balances well.

I believe that the H.S. Precision stock they used on the Mtn Rifle is of the same series used for the Ti several years ago.

Another option is Bell and Carlson. They make the stock that Remington uses on the Mtn Rifle SS

If I were going to replace the stock on one of mine, I would use this one from McMillan

Middle Age Crazy

I put a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on my Bil’s .270 Mtn Rifle. It balances well.

I believe that the H.S. Precision stock they used on the Mtn Rifle is of the same series used for the Ti several years ago.

Another option is Bell and Carlson. They make the stock that Remington uses on the Mtn Rifle SS

If I were going to replace the stock on one of mine, I would use this one from McMillan

I agree, but McMillian wait times are 4-6 months I think. I'm a little spooked by Remington triggers too after my yote rifle was recalled. I'd like a Trigger Tech .....then of course getting the action trued....................$$$$ The Kimber is looking better and better LOL

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree, but McMillian wait times are 4-6 months I think. I'm a little spooked by Remington triggers too after my yote rifle was recalled. I'd like a Trigger Tech .....then of course getting the action trued....................$$$$ The Kimber is looking better and better LOL

I’ve hunted with my Dad’s Kimber a bit, It’s a nice rifle for sure, but they’re picky about the bullets they like, which isn’t all that big of a deal if you reload.

His doesn’t have a “plastic” trigger guard, it’s fiberglass just like the stock.
His is a .300 Win Mag, so it’s got pretty stiff recoil in that lightweight rifle.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 7mm08 in a Remington CDL, it has a little longer barrel but the rifle feels great.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

herman

Six Pointer
This is my 7/08 It is a rem with 24 in barrel.a bell and carlson stock ,and vortex 6x24
viper.
It loves the 130 spear bullets going 3000 fps
I bought a mtn rifle in 260 when they first came out and it whats called a tack driver .
One of my friends talked me out of it for his son and I got a rem bdl in the 260 and it is my favorite rifle have taken deer over 500 yds with it.

7/08