MLB and sign stealing

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Tip, let's say your playing poker and your opponent happens to lean over and show you his hand by accident. His loss your gain.

Now imagine using sophisticated technology to look at your opponents hands. You don't see the difference?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Cant the players just think for themselves and ban signs altogether, that in itself is cheating and all done for a girls game, sheesh

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cant the players just think for themselves and ban signs altogether, that in itself is cheating and all done for a girls game, sheesh

Having caught pitchers who could throw multiple pitches.. no not really if your not ready for a hard breaking pitch your odds of catching it go way down. We are not talking about base running signs here.. we are talking about pitchers and catchers communications.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1) I think its BS to forbid stealing of signs. Its the responsibility of the people using the signs to make them secure. If they can't do that then that is their problem.

2) Since it's illegal to steal them, regardless of that being BS, if you get caught then you should be punished.

3) What I object to is the victimhood mentality demonstrated by those who had their signs stolen. Stop being a whiny little bitch and design a better mousetrap.

Disagree on 1 but understand your point

on 2 not a single player was punished

On 3 is where you lose me. They have designed a system that works inside the rules. If there is a rule book you should not have to design a system to defeat cheating. It is on the governing authority to insure everyone plays by the rules and when someone does not the ones who do have every right to be upset that they got cheated.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just let them use wireless coms between pitcher and catcher. Use technology to solve the problem

I would be ok with this one, but if they change the rules to allow it, should the teams then be required to come up with coded transmissions even though hacking into the communications would surely be against the rules?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I would be ok with this one, but if they change the rules to allow it, should the teams then be required to come up with coded transmissions even though hacking into the communications would surely be against the rules?

Nope. But if they don't encrypt the coms, they don't get to bitch when its hacked.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I say they already have a bat boy and a ball boy. Why not have a sign boy run out there every pitch. Go to the pitcher then run to home plate. God forbid the pitcher try to shake a pitch off. 🤣

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Lol. Not at the girls game comment.

I’m laughing at a game without signs.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
From the limited amount I have been following this, it seems to me that the astros got caught, but there are other teams that were doing the same things. A player that came to the astros from the Yankees (drawing a blank on his name right now) told them that their system for stealing signs was pretty much antiquated. I believe that if an in depth investigation was done, there are lots of teams in baseball that did this. Would be interesting to see how many players have a better batting average at home vs away. Maybe I am just cynical, but I believe when you get that much money involved, that their is an extra added incentive to do things like this and PEDs. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Nuke: Why's he calling for a curve ball? I want to bring heat. Shake him off. Throw what you want.
Crash: Why are you shaking me off?
Nuke: I want to bring the heater. Announce my presence with authority.