MLB and sign stealing

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
couple years ago guy bunted in the 9th to break up a perfect game iirc... caught a lot of heat..... I get that kind of stuff

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Right, depends on if the other team stole off of you ahead by 6 last time y'all played,,,, etc.

The unwritten rule that stands out for me about baseball is showing up the pitcher after hitting a home run. I remember a game (i'm a Braves fan) where a batter hit one off a braves pitcher and admired the ball pretty much his whole trip around first base. Mccann was waiting on him 5 steps in front of home plate when he got there. How'd you like to have that big joker mad with you ;)

The bat flipping and such has gotten WAY out of hand.

And, there’s too many metrosexuals (in the game) to do anything about it, nowadays.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
The bat flipping and such has gotten WAY out of hand.
I would love to see that against Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens. Hell, Roger Clemens threw part of the bat at Mike Piazza during a game. Neither of them would stand for that bat flipping crap.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I would relate it to hunting...

With a little practice and the right equipment, it's pretty easy to kill a deer with a compound bow and a straight arrow with a sharp broadhead....... Now imagine using a poisoned tip or explosive broadhead,,,,,, still pretty easy with those to kill a deer but where is the challenge. Or likewise, it's pretty easy to kill a deer with a high powered rifle at distances within the shooters skillset. Now imagine a deer hunter holding a 22lr and watching a nice buck at 500 yards,,, to far for the 22, so he calls in for the drone strike. It's all in what you consider a challenge or a sporting chance!
The deer is still dead. It doesn’t care how or why, just that it is.

Stolen signs are stolen signs. It doesn’t matter where you split the hair. Just MHO.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would love to see that against Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens. Hell, Roger Clemens threw part of the bat at Mike Piazza during a game. Neither of them would stand for that bat flipping crap.

Don’t get me started on Roger Clemens.

I have NO respect for pitchers who target LOTS of batters, unless they step into the box, themselves.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
The deer is still dead. It doesn’t care how or why, just that it is.

Stolen signs are stolen signs. It doesn’t matter where you split the hair. Just MHO.
I would say that other hunters and also non hunters would care how the deer was killed. Same with baseball,,,, other teams and their players, fans, they would care if the signs were stolen because your system for relaying them from the dugout to the pitcher is easy for other teams to pick up on,,,,, or if your system is pretty solid and the other team is using tv monitors and devices on their body, etc.. to get an unfair advantage.

Baseball itself just ain't what it used to be. Heck, you guys ought to see how crazy youth baseball has become. Folks have lost their minds over travel baseball. Turns out, there is only so many spots on the field when you get to high school. And half of them are reserved for the coaches friends kids :LOL:

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Baseball is best when the players police themselves. They know the unwritten rules and what is acceptable and not, let them handle it. If MLB wants to suspend the manager and gm fine, but it won't take long this season to find out if the players find their "cheating" as egregious as we all do.

My assumption is they will, but we'll see I guess. Brian McCann (at least while in ATL) was an "enforcer" of sorts for the team. He made sure if players on other teams were out of line he let them know about it. He started every game in the World Series, I wonder what his take on it is now. I guarantee when he was in Atlanta if a team was stealing his signs this way he would have been pissed. Little bit of shoe on the other foot syndrome now.

Also, Chipper Jones is doing his best spin job on twitter to protect Brian... interested in how this all plays out with the current and former players. I don't really care what the media thinks.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Baseball is best when the players police themselves. They know the unwritten rules and what is acceptable and not, let them handle it. If MLB wants to suspend the manager and gm fine, but it won't take long this season to find out if the players find their "cheating" as egregious as we all do.

My assumption is they will, but we'll see I guess. Brian McCann (at least while in ATL) was an "enforcer" of sorts for the team. He made sure if players on other teams were out of line he let them know about it. He started every game in the World Series, I wonder what his take on it is now. I guarantee when he was in Atlanta if a team was stealing his signs this way he would have been pissed. Little bit of shoe on the other foot syndrome now.

Also, Chipper Jones is doing his best spin job on twitter to protect Brian... interested in how this all plays out with the current and former players. I don't really care what the media thinks.

I don’t care what the media or anyone else thinks who is not understanding of the unwritten rules of baseball. These discussions (not saying this one is) usually turn into a debate.

The unwritten rules of baseball aren’t up for debate. They simply ARE.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The problem with unwritten rules is that they're unwritten. That means they're subject to change due to some whim of a some team. Create new ones. Change or discard old ones. You can't even argue over what is or is not an unwritten rule since it is unwritten.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The problem with unwritten rules is that they're unwritten. That means they're subject to change due to some whim of a some team. Create new ones. Change or discard old ones. You can't even argue over what is or is not an unwritten rule since it is unwritten.

Then let them police it.

Problems arise when we stray from that. It’s THEIR game.

same here. Where do you draw the line? Where is the lone drawn for performance enhancement? Limit work outs to X amount per week. Limit caloric intake..... make them use pine bats vs ash, etc.....not just baseball but overall rules in general..... and somehow because there’s no justification for that particular line in the sand, morality is set at that point as well. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I agree. Many have said the baseballs were juiced this year by MLB themselves. What about the Rockies keeping baseballs in humidors! Corked bats theres a long list.

Last edited:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Written overrides unwritten. Are you suggesting that MLB just toss out all their written rules and let the players govern the game completely with unwritten rules?

Look up the written rules denoting the strike zone and see if that comports with your assertion.

Hit me back.

This is one of my favorites. <iframe width="540" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I get your point but I would add where would the game be without the fans? The fans are what keep all the bills paid!

I don’t disagree, but respectfully ask what your point is???

The owners and players know there are boundaries. The players association agrees to rules changes. When a player is suspended for 81 games for abusing a PED, they helped structure that.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Congratulations to Jeter and Walker getting into the Hall. But who is the one idiot who voted no for Jeter? He should have been unanimous IMO.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
This ^ is what I was wondering about. I didn’t get the point you were trying to make.

I thought it was obvious. The ban on using electronic devices was a written ban. The heavy penalties towards the Astros was not for violating an unwritten rule. You cannot govern a game without any rules in place.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I thought it was obvious. The ban on using electronic devices was a written ban. The heavy penalties towards the Astros was not for violating an unwritten rule. You cannot govern a game without any rules in place.

Well nobody is claiming the inverse.