ML season nears

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Eastern season is 5 weeks out. What's everyone's ML of choice for the season? I'll be shooting a TC Impact 50 caliber with Hornady 240 gr XTP's in green sabots over 100 gr BH209. She wears a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC.

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
I'll be hunting later than that here in Stokes County and with the same setup I have used for about 10-11 years and will likely be passed to my oldest son when I die.

It's a Savage 10ML II .50 cal smokeless with Accutrigger in stainless and brown laminate stock sporting a Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42 scope. I guess it's officially a factory custom (semi-custom?) rifle as at special request they didn't drill and tap it for iron sights since I didn't want to look at plugged screw holes. But otherwise it's bone stock.

EDIT: And I forgot that I added a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad to get a bit longer length of pull for my 6'4" frame and long arms.

Lance

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna try the new Maxim 50 if I get a good load worked up for it, if not the old trusty TC Omega will get used...... prob will end up using both if the wife and kids wanna play too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Dont know what I will do.
Maybe Retro and shoot the 1842 smoothbore. ..

Plan to sell my smokless TC encore 4570 barrel. Just don't have the time to work up loads.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you’re hunting cutover, you need that 007 from the classifieds. Otherwise that Knight will do about as good as any others.

I’ve been saying for the past few years I am going to try to get one with my .40 cal LR at bow range. Maybe this will be the year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If you’re hunting cutover, you need that 007 from the classifieds. Otherwise that Knight will do about as good as any others.

I’ve been saying for the past few years I am going to try to get one with my .40 cal LR at bow range. Maybe this will be the year.
90% of my ML kills are from bow range. That is how i like to hunt so just use the "best" legal weapon as the seasons change.
So far (knock on wood) it's range has cost me one really nice deer because of range.
But I will be peeking into one this year so we all know where that will lead. :)

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Most of my ML kills are at bow range too. I believe that I'll keep the Knight in the safe this year and really go after them with my InvestArms .50 Hawken.
A prb over a little 3f should do the job nicely at 35 yds.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The same old Remington M700MLS I’ve used for 20 something years.
I did put some new glass on it this year though.
Put a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 on it in place of the old Leupold M8 4x it’s worn since I bought it in 1998 I believe.

240 gr Hornady XTP over 100gr FFg Goex in a Green Hornady crush rib sabot
Still busting CCI No 11 caps on it too...

Killed them from 8 yds to 222 yds

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Savage ML 10 II with Sightron 3-9x40 scope. 43 grains AA5744 with 300 grain Hornady XTP MMP black sabot. This is my field/long range gun.

TC Encore .50 cal with Iron sights. 300 grain Hornady XTP with 80 grains by volume Blackhorn 209. This is my woods/mountain gun.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
Most of my ML kills are at bow range too. I believe that I'll keep the Knight in the safe this year and really go after them with my InvestArms .50 Hawken.
A prb over a little 3f should do the job nicely at 35 yds.

Shot one 2 years ago with my Investarms .54 cal. Forget the yardage, but was less than 60 yards. Ran less than 40 yards. Pretty much sealed the deal for me and got me back into traditional muzzleloaders again, put up the plastic....If I don't use my CVA Mountain Rifle, it will be my Investarms.....

Good luck with it.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
It worked.I know,several who,use these,mzl, and shoot it,I,tried it and,it done,well,going to,shoot some more in,it,but a,combined 25 years of those guys using it and no,problems, I,might get blown to smithereens next shot,but not heard of any problems yet,thanks for sharing your thoughts.

klim

Twelve Pointer
Savage ML 10 II with Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope. 43 grains AA5744 with 250 grain Hornady XTP MMP black sabot.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It worked.I know,several who,use these,mzl, and shoot it,I,tried it and,it done,well,going to,shoot some more in,it,but a,combined 25 years of those guys using it and no,problems, I,might get blown to smithereens next shot,but not heard of any problems yet,thanks for sharing your thoughts.

There are a lot of dumb things that work.... until they don’t

But hey it’s your fingers and your face.... carry on

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
I know of several guys that do the same thing in their Knights. I would like to see some reliable pressure curve data to see how it does as opposed to heavy charges of BH or 777, even though I don't think it would change my mind on trying it.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Yep,I think,I,will,go to Blackhorn, and be,safe,Or Alliegient black mz. I have done,alot of research on OT the last couple,days,it may never,happen but it could blow,up next shot.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
CVA Apex 45/70 smokeless conversion.
10/42 duplex load
250 grain Barnes smooth form
2500 FPS

Most likely going to switch to a 40 cal pitman this year with the light blue harvester sabot so i can go with a single charge. Should be able to push the 275 pitman around the same speed with a much higher ballistic coefficient.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I'll be carrying my CVA Bobcat 50 cal percussion that I got on the cheap, refinished and reworked myself. Shooting 75g Goex under pillow ticking lubed with Trapper Mink Oil and a 490 round ball. Gun shoots lights out if I do my part.

VqlX9iC.jpg

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Knight Disc Elite Stainless
.44 HP Hornady XTP w harvested green sabots
90 grains of Triple 7

Haleh

Spike
Think I'll try my .62 caliber flintlock smoothbore. .595 ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with deer tallow over 65 grains ff goex. Posted my .50 caliber earlier. Been practicing with my smoothbore and I'm ready for a deer.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I just cant get into hard bowhunting yet with this relentless heat, so this afternoon I decided recheck my smokepoles for the upcoming seasons. My 32 caliber Traditions was still dead-on at 30 yards. Squirrels much further than that I need optics. Next I took two shots from the CVA Bobcat that I reworked at 60 yards., just to recheck sights. Almost through the same hole. I love the smell of real black powder smoke drifting through the air!

Last edited: