ML in the rain question

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I am new to hunting with the ML as I have solely been a bow-hunter. My dad has an Optima V2 that I inherited when he passed away in May 2017. I have gotten a good set up right now with it and am excited to take a deer in honor of him. My plan is to hunt Saturday afternoon, sneaking in during the rain with hopes of catching the deer moving once it stops. Do I need to take any precautions with it for the rain? I am using white-hots currently as that is what was working when I sighted in the gun.
Thanks for the advise.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Best thing I've found are finger cots...those work very well and are reusable if you don't shoot the weapon with them on it. You can get them at any office supply place.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Speaking only for myself, I found the slip on type cover like a finger cot works, but can occasionally slip off if it’s caught by a branch, etc.....so I switched to masking tape / painters tape and used that approach for years.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a ton of gloves laying around from being in medicine so I will try them but may bring some tape just in case. Thanks again!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I just keep the barrel pointed down. But honestly, I'm much more concerned with keeping my scope dry...

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Electrical tape, latex glove finger even a condom. Hell, I put a plastic sandwhich bag over the end of my barrel once.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Electrical tape, latex glove finger even a condom. Hell, I put a plastic sandwhich bag over the end of my barrel once.

There ya go! Now your barrel is dry, but you have a new problem... now you have to explain to the mrs. why you need condoms in your hunting pack! Not to worry though, I'm sure she will buy your story!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
There ya go! Now your barrel is dry, but you have a new problem... now you have to explain to the mrs. why you need condoms in your hunting pack! Not to worry though, I'm sure she will buy your story!
Very true, try explaining why you have empty condom wrappers in your Army uniform after having spent 6 weeks in the field, with nothing but a bunch of dudes at that!. Easiest way to keep the gunk out of your M4 barrel while slugging around Ft. Polk. Fortunately my wife trusts me and believes me, I could live 1000 yrs and never find a better woman so no need for her to worry about me cheating.

But, to reduce the chances of fight, may want to avoid the condoms and use electrical tape instead.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
mine is keeping the pan dry,,,,,,,
Where I hunt I seem to have to recharge the pan every time I find a large enough flat spot to stand upright.

To the OP I use Electric tape with a second wrap around the sides like you would if you lobbed off a finger. I usually have two to three extras wrapped around the barrel further down. I’ve found electric tape rewraps good when unwinding from barrel to cover muzzle and it held up to -10 last season on multiple different finishes (blued, SS, Cerakote)being dragged up and down mountains through laurel patches and rocky crags.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Very true, try explaining why you have empty condom wrappers in your Army uniform after having spent 6 weeks in the field, with nothing but a bunch of dudes at that!. Easiest way to keep the gunk out of your M4 barrel while slugging around Ft. Polk. Fortunately my wife trusts me and believes me, I could live 1000 yrs and never find a better woman so no need for her to worry about me cheating.

But, to reduce the chances of fight, may want to avoid the condoms and use electrical tape instead.

Army does have a issued muzzle cap for the M16/M4
acf4e21.jpg

CD

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Electrical tape is a must on my muskets.
Even still wrap tape over the sealed breeches in foul weather from habit with the old guns.

Always over the muzzle, even in dry weather.
The ramrod grabs a lot more crap in the woods than you think.

Plus there’s condensation to worry with if you had your gun in a toasty 70* house and truck, then step out into a 15* day in the mountains with a bit of snow falling.

I’ve missed a lot of chances on deer with muskets cause of simple mistakes like that.

But thank god for the 209 primer, and I’ll never have to fool with a #11 percussion again.

I snapped 7 #11 caps at the same 8pt in the mountains one time. He stood and stood.

Finally got back to the car, and it fired like a charm.

Got a new musket the next week.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
As many have said, I use electrical tape. I also ball a napkin up and place it in the bell of the scope. It's not fool proof but the napkin keeps a good amount of water off the scope lens