Minnow trap bait ?

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Haven't done a lot of minnow trapping but when I do I use bread. I ball it up some hoping to make it last longer but it still doesn't last as long as I'd like.
Anybody got a bait they'd care to tell be about?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
This is gonna sound goofy, but if you’ve got relatively slow moving water, crunched up “everything bagel” flavored rice cakes work great for me. With all the air, they float. A curious minnow will swim in and feed on it topwater and the others will get curious and follow suit

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
My Grandfather used "meal cake" in his glass traps (big pickle jars) and it always worked. If I recall correctly he bought the meal cake at a feed and seed store, it was about an inch thick and about 12" in diameter. Check a local feed store, one cake lasted him almost all summer since you only use a small portion.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Haven't done a lot of minnow trapping but when I do I use bread. I ball it up some hoping to make it last longer but it still doesn't last as long as I'd like.
Anybody got a bait they'd care to tell be about?
Here's what you do: Put the bread is a plastic zip lock bag, take a pair of scissors (works better than a knife), and cut the bag in about a dozen places. The bag will hold the bread together, but the many holes let out the scent and small bread pieces escape to attract the minnows. Guaranteed to work.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Grandfather used "meal cake" in his glass traps (big pickle jars) and it always worked. If I recall correctly he bought the meal cake at a feed and seed store, it was about an inch thick and about 12" in diameter. Check a local feed store, one cake lasted him almost all summer since you only use a small portion.
That is cotton seed meal. That stuff worked great. I have no clue where you would find it now though.