Minimal Equipment Food Plot Technique

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Works like a charm with crimson clover, radishes, turnips and rye grain. Actually matches up pretty well with commercial agriculture cover crops in no-till systems.

TravisSouth

Button Buck
It does seem like it works well with the smaller seeds. I've tried a similar approach with beans without much luck- Then again it didn't have nearly as much "thatch" to work into.

You make a good point with matching up with the no-til drill operation. I should have specified it being unlike the the old school methods of plowing/disking etc.
Works like a charm with crimson clover, radishes, turnips and rye grain. Actually matches up pretty well with commercial agriculture cover crops in no-till systems.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Not saying that you have to use no-till drill to plant these seeds, but rather commercial agriculture operations use this same method to plant cover crops. Also, a good opportunity for folks who hunt properties with larger easily accessible fields which may be left bare by the farmer in the winter. Just broadcast seed after the summer crop is harvested.

I'm not a big fan of weed killer. I dont like putting poison in the soil. Not enough research done for me on long term affects. Everyone wonders why cancer is so prevalent today. All these man mad chemicals they put in the ground now a days makes me wonder if this is the cause. Round up and what not.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Go figure, "progress". I would venture to guess that our lifestyles today put us in contact with hundreds if not thousands of man made chemicals each day. This is not even counting "natural" things that humans have genetically engineered "to better fit our needs". Plastics in our coffee makers, foams in our furniture, various compounds in our electronics, synthetic medications we are pretty much bombarded with man made chemicals. God has surly blessed us with all we need to "survive", but who among us just wants to survive in this day and age. I agree with you completely that is it not the best idea to use herbicides. In fact, my two latest posts promoted decreased use of herbicides. But, I am not sure that blaming herbicide use for the rise in cancer is a fair proclamation when we are surrounded my man made chemical 24/7.

Go figure, "progress". I would venture to guess that our lifestyles today put us in contact with hundreds if not thousands of man made chemicals each day. This is not even counting "natural" things that humans have genetically engineered "to better fit our needs". Plastics in our coffee makers, foams in our furniture, various compounds in our electronics, synthetic medications we are pretty much bombarded with man made chemicals. God has surly blessed us with all we need to "survive", but who among us just wants to survive in this day and age. I agree with you completely that is it not the best idea to use herbicides. In fact, my two latest posts promoted decreased use of herbicides. But, I am not sure that blaming herbicide use for the rise in cancer is a fair proclamation when we are surrounded my man made chemical 24/7.
I agree with most of what you said here. We are being bombarded with man made chemicals. There has not been enough long term research done to know all the effects. We use to use lead paint and asbestos too. That being said there has been some research done on herbicides and cancer. In fact Round up is currently being sued for this very issue. Not all "progress" is good progress.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Never said all progress is good. A lawsuit does not equal guilt nor does it mean innocents. As with so many things today much of it comes down to politics. By latest posted info EPA "clears" round-up. Of course, this is "Trumps EPA". Am I convinced, apparently not, as I did spray glyphosate yesterday, but possible dangers did cross my mind while doing it. TO be fair I kind of had the same thought when I was eating my Big Mac and drinking a Coke at lunch. My biggest question is how a single molecule or compound can be deemed a carcinogen when any test subject is bombarded and impacted with many chemical substances daily.

Not naive to carcinogen as my dad was given a respirator when he first went to work in the steel industry which had asbestos used in the filter. Really comes down to none of us are getting out of this life alive. I do not know anyone who is fully self efficient, producing everything that they and their family consume. To function, we have to have some level of trust that the people that provide what we do not produce for ourselves are not harming us or place such a high value on what they provide us that we do not care. This level of trust and valuation as well as where we get our information is different to each of us. At the end of the day I just hope that my exit from this earthly life is quick and painless, not a punishment for the many stupid decisions I have made as to the food, drink and herbicide I have interacted with.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I spray glyphosate without worrying, but I'd be nervous eating a Big Mac.:oops:

Glyphosate is so prevalent in commercial ag, you'll never avoid it. Even that Coke was made with gly.

TravisSouth

Button Buck
I didn't mean to start a gly debate. At any rate, I've found red clover to do wonders with weed suppression. Albeit, spray may be deemed necessary to start it, but once established and with a few mowings, it does a fine job of weed suppression. Maybe frost seed a bit during the winter. Alternatively a good til can be used but not everyone has access to that kind of equipment.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
IMO, Lindsey is cribbing info he gleaned from others. The QDMA forum had members doing this throw-and-mow method for years. Their pictures were amazing! I'd venture to say at one point there were more members doing it this way than tilling.

Then QDMA shut their message board forum down. Cynics thought this new method was cutting in on tractor and supply advertisers profits on that website. LOL.

You start with rye GRAIN not rye grass as your first crop to build organic matter and battle the weeds, from what I remember. The whole point of not tilling is to maintain the organic matter in the ground to benefit whatever you plant.

Redneck Richie....you don't have to use weed killer if you can live with a food plot that's not picture perfect monocultural in nature. Heck, deer like to eat certain weeds as much as anything we can plant.