MINERAL LICK

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Techically I believe the regs say it has to be marketed for deer to be legal.....just saying. Now Im pretty sure all is fair game for those squirrel mineral sites.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I put out cattle based minerals for my cows that I plan to get at some point, go ahead and get the minerals into the soil. Who am I to tell those darn deer not the eat it? Or my goats, or my sheep...whatever I put out those darn deer seem to find it and tear it up, I may have to shoot them to keep them out of it.

mattharris0414

Techically I believe the regs say it has to be marketed for deer to be legal.....just saying. Now Im pretty sure all is fair game for those squirrel mineral sites.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah thats Bout as illegal as discharging a bow in charlotte city limits apparently... 🤣😂🤣😂

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've used the range mineral for lactating cows and sheep mixed 1:1 with red trace mineral salt and it provides a lot of what the "deer minerals" do for a decent price. Just make sure the range mineral isn't the "medicated"kind and I try to stay away from high sulfur products even though the deer used to love the sulfur blocks we used for the cows.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
50lbs white salt
50lbs dicalcium phosphate
100lbs trace mineral

Around $50

The cows love it.
That about the same as I used.
I think it was 5o Dical 5o mineral mix and 1oo stock salt
Some use the mineral mix with salt and cut back the stock salt.
Dical.is the big thing and sometimes hard to find.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Molasses Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Soybean Oil.
Range mineral ingredients typically provide the DiCal and a lot of the rest of the goodies that the deer minerals offer.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I get the deer cane blocks. Bust them up a little with a sledge. They tear them up. I got a foot of dirt ate out of the ground. https://www.amazon.com/Evolved-Habi...57&hvtargid=aud-829758849484:pla-758342566458

I used to use this when it was originally called deer co-cane.....first saw it is Texas. Bought some and put it out just off a well used trail and within a month it looked like a bomb had gone off.....tried the newer stuff and it just doesn't work the same. The only thing I have used that comes close to getting the same use is the 30-06 from whitetail institute and it still doesn't match up.

I agree the trophy rocks work pretty good also.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Trophy Rock can’t be beat for starting a site
I kept a camera on a trophy rock for a whole season before. The only animal that came to it was a red fox, to lift his leg and pee on it. Do the deer start hitting it after it dissolves fully?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I kept a camera on a trophy rock for a whole season before. The only animal that came to it was a red fox, to lift his leg and pee on it. Do the deer start hitting it after it dissolves fully?
Deer lick ours until there are tongue grooves in it...

Best way to start a lick is the Trophy Rock 465 mixed in the dirt and a Trophy Rock placed on top

Andrewd

Six Pointer
100lbs white fine mixing salt
50lbs of non medicated minerals
50lbs of dicalcium phosphate
My deer love it. I put it out in early spring and in fall.

TarHeel Tyler

Button Buck
Make sure you pick an area deer frequently travel. Find an old stump and add the following: 50 pound bag crushed Trace Mineral (tractor supply), 1 trophy rock, and one bottle of maple syrup. The maple will draw them to it to get it started. Results:7A7729B8-76E7-4768-9A29-C1C148D0D885.jpeg1924D578-3C9B-4C4D-90B3-BC6D614809A5.jpeg0A1A73F1-D266-4D22-81F0-D0B9C46DCB06.jpeg8DEBFCD0-878E-4A5F-9C83-46BAC785A1EA.jpeg

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
anybody have a good recipe for mineral licks. going to try my first after the season goes out.

Good stuff

greenoakl

Six Pointer
Is it labeled dicalcium phosphate or some other way still can’t find it any where locally. The people at southern states didn’t seem to know what it was.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Is it labeled dicalcium phosphate or some other way still can’t find it any where locally. The people at southern states didn’t seem to know what it was.

If Southern States didn't know what it was, they might need some new employees. Tractor supply in Wilson has it in stock.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Good stuff

At 50.00 for a 40lb bag, that stuff better be lined with gold!!!