Mig Welder

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I’m buying a new mig welder. Needs to be 115 or 120 volt and preferable no less than 140 Amp. I know a 210 volt is better, not needed for what I’m doing.

Who has the best feed and power out of Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln?

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I’ve got a miller 211 and it’s been pretty good for fab work and hasn’t given me anything to complain about.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hobart or Miller and make dang sure and get it set up for gas. Do yourself a favor and go ahead and get a 220V. You can turn it down, you can't add to it. 140 amp is the very top you can push a 120 volt.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Only 110v welder we have at work is a tig/stick. Miller 160 but it has another plug for 220. It’s night/day different.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I bought a Mig 180 from Eastwood last year for me it works great and couldn’t beat the price at less than $500. It’s dual voltage comes with a pigtail for 110/220. I love it so far. It’s not one of the brands you asked about but it carries a good warranty. A guy I work with bought one at the same time he likes his too.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
220 all the way….I will come help wire up whatever and wherever you need to use it….nothing more frustrating than a weld popping because it didn’t get hot enough to WELD

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have Lincoln and Miller welders..I have not used any other brands, but am happy with my Miller mig units. One is 220 only, with the other selectable. You are very limited with the thickness you can weld with the 115v selection, but can use it in more places. Not everywhere has dedicated 220v recepts for operation of that.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh, I forgot to mention..... select proper wire size, especially if you go 110. For thinner metals, use .025, not over .030. For heavier metals you'll be good with the .035...

hot_rod_eddie

Six Pointer
I bought a Mig 180 from Eastwood last year for me it works great and couldn’t beat the price at less than $500. It’s dual voltage comes with a pigtail for 110/220. I love it so far. It’s not one of the brands you asked about but it carries a good warranty. A guy I work with bought one at the same time he likes his too.
I used a Miller for years at work. I bought the Eastwood and have made dozens of projects big and small. No complaints. Dual voltage and aluminum spool gun for half the price.