MidDay bird!!

ditchbank

Banned
I set my alarm clock for 5:15am last night and woke up to the sun up. I had set my alarm for 5:15pm. I am off work today and tomorrow and wanted to make a day of it. Well I screwed that up by not checking the AM and PM on my phone alarm.

Finally about 10:30 I said I’m gonna try some midday tactics, basically running and gunning.
I got to my spot that I have seen birds during midday in a small hidden field. I set up a lay down hen decoy and Jake decoy and a feeder hen. I sat and called there on and off from 11:30-1:30. Nothing there so I figured if a bird was there he wasn’t coming.

I packed up my gear and headed to another spot on the farm about 1/2mile away. This time in the woods between two big fields and pasture they have been seen strutting in.

I was there and set up by 2pm I called and nothing. I waited about 15 min and called again and bam!! I heard him gobble. I called again after about 5min and he didn’t respond but I figured he was coming. Then suddenly I hear footsteps to my right and he is walking towards decoys at 50yds and closing the distance fast. He saw my jake decoy and you should have seen the colors this boy displayed in the sunlight shinning through the Forrest canopy. He walked right through a good opening and I drilled him at 20yrds. I absolutely love killing them in the woods over the field. It was a quick hunt at that spot but a very very memorable one.

IMG_2340.jpg

57765258876__BB92372F-259E-48F5-A7F0-3E3E29422486.jpgIMG_2345.jpgIMG_2348.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Congrats! Nice bird!
Always great when plan B (or plan C, I guess, since you moved) works out.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
The old AM/PM alarm clock debacle...we've all been there. How nicely that turned out for you though.....you got to enjoy a rare sleep-in and still managed to kill a gobbler. You're golden!