Micarta scales and knife sheath

nchunter13

Eight Pointer
This is my first attempt at making a knife. The blade is a blank that I ordered. The scales are my first attempt at home made micarta and are made from construction paper. My grandson picked the colors as the knife is going to be his. The sheath is my first leather project also. I am in the process me making a file knife and one from stock. I hope to have pics soon of those to post. Many thanks to crittergItter and the others who have posted details of their projects, the posts have helped a lot.

Attachments

• CAM00056.jpg
    CAM00056.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1
  • CAM00057.jpg
    CAM00057.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1
  • CAM00055.jpg
    CAM00055.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

nchunter13

Eight Pointer
Thanks BamBam. For my first attempt at doing any of this I am pretty happy with how everything turned out. I have a lot to learn but it's fun and my grandson has a one of a kind. I would like to hear what others have to say good and bad about it.

nchunter13

Eight Pointer
Thanks. I used fiberglass epoxy from Wal-Mart. You take strips of the construction paper or fabric and wet them with the epoxy and stack them until you have enough for the thickness needed and then clamp until the epoxy cures. There are a lot of videos and instructions on the web. You can buy the micarta about as cheap as you can make it but it was somethinI I wanted to try.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've seen it made using the different formica colors, but never construction paper, that is very unique.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
That looks great! I know he will love it. When I get back from Florida I will show you how to put your mark on it if you want me too.

Eric, most Micarta is made from either paper or fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using My big fat fingers.