Mentored Turkey Hunt: Where to go?

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
just curious, are you planning to hunt out of a ground blind with the recurve? it would make killing one with a recurve and being a newbie 1000 times easier!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
just curious, are you planning to hunt out of a ground blind with the recurve? it would make killing one with a recurve and being a newbie 1000 times easier!
without a blind, a recurve kill on a first bird would be a lightning strike. It happens but not often.
Well since the indigenous hunters anyway.

WolfpackHunter

Six Pointer
Contributor
I would echo many of the folks on here about the recurve....if your NWTF mentor is worth his/her salt they will let you borrow their gun.
If you get pulled for Sandhills or hunt Uwharrie your chances of killing a turkey will go up exponentially if you can be mobile. That recurve is gonna tie you down, likely carrying a blind and decoys to the woods...both of which make public land success harder IMO.

If your NWTF mentor has access to private land with field birds, then by all means try your recurve if you like.

I live in Moore County and hunt public ground. If you get pulled and need some help with Sandhills GL...shoot me a PM. I'll give you some pointers. If you get pulled and I get pulled too and you just happen to have same days as me, you can hunt with me and use my gun.

Technically, I believe your NWTF mentor would need to have a Sandhills permit for the same days to 'aid' in your hunt. Would double check with the local warden for sure. That may limit you to Uwharrie. I don't venture over to Uwharrie to turkey hunt so I can't help you out there.

If I were you...when I talked to the NWTF...I would get linked up with a mentor in the mountains. Plenty of non-permit public land to roam around on. Make a trip out of it and chase some mountain gobblers. Linking up with someone experienced in mountain hunting would be a great experience for you.

Good luck. Turkey hunting is addicting.

Last edited:

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
ear plugs AND muffs are a good way to go when shooting ESPECIALLY around others, as I was taught back in my competition days
^^ This ^^
If the sound of the guns was still too much you need to up your hearing protection. I always go the plug and ear muff route. Started my 7 yr old daughter out the same way. It really helps. You will also be amazed at how much it helps with the ammount of recoil that your brain "thinks" your body is taking. Its the only way to go when shooting imho. I will throw out the same offer as above, you draw the same days that I do and we'll get you on birds.

KrisB

Ten Pointer

I was thinking without a blind, but the discussion here and some discussions in PMs people have sent me are making me rethink bringing the recurve. I'm putting in a lot of practice with it, but if I'm honest with myself, I probably won't be up to the level shooting and also draw weight (40#) for hunting turkeys this spring. So I may have to borrow someone's gun and/or get my own.

I talked to the NWTF mentor this evening on the phone and he said to wait and see if I get drawn for any of the game lands I applied for (Sandhills and I just put in for Rockfish Creek and Nicholson Creek today) and then get in touch with him next week. He's not sure if he'd be allowed to go with me or not if I get drawn, but since the mentored hunts are being sponsored by the NWTF and the WRC, he thinks we should be able to work it out with the WRC. Will definitely be calling the game warden to make sure.

I've been stunned and truly humbled by all of the help and kind offers that I've been getting on this forum. I can't say thank you enough to all of you for your generosity and your time and your willingness to pass on some tips to a total newbie. I will seriously reconsider my weapon choice and see about those electronic earplugs or whatever else I need to do to get over the loudness thing with the shotguns. I'll keep everybody here posted on how my hunts go! Good luck to everyone this turkey season! :)

TL; DR: Rethinking the shotguns and possibly bringing a shotgun for this first turkey season and thank you, you, thank you, everyone for all the advice and help!

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You'll have see if the mentor part they'll make exception 8f you get drawn because rule is on draw hunts is you can have someone with you but they can't call put out a decoy or participate/assist in hunt. Of course they could still be there for advice or to film wasn't sure if you needed them to call

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I might need him to call. We were all given a free box call at the workshop and I'm practicing, but I think I sound like a chicken with a head cold so far. :p I will be sure to ask about that. Thank you!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
spit has anti-fogging tendecies,,,doesn't last as long but it's cheap,,

but prefer "cat crap"

I think I have seen you post this most useful info before..... glad I ain’t run out of spit!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, we all had ear protection and the noise still bothered me. I literally jumped every time someone shot a shotgun. And the wildlife officer who was helping me very kindly let me borrow his ear protection, which was better than what they had at the range at muffling the sound, but I still jumped around at the noise. For now, I'm sticking with the traditional archery, but I'm sure one day I will figure out how to get comfortable with shotguns. And a youth model is a good idea. Thank you!
Remember that there will only be one shot close to you while hunting.... and with a bird in front of you..... you will not hear your own shot

I went to the NC WRC's GSO (Getting Started Outdoors) Turkey Hunting Workshop today, which is for new hunters who don't have any hunting social support in their families or among their friends. It was great! At the end, they did drawings for 7 NWTF-mentored hunts that you could go on if your name was drawn and I was lucky enough to win one where you can pick the spot anywhere in the state (public land or private land with permission). All I have to do is call the NWTF hunter mentor and coordinate it. And keep practicing my tail off with archery and hope that I'll be ready with my recurve bow by April or May.

I'm a total newbie at all of this, so I wanted to ask: Where would you suggest I go as a first-time turkey hunter? I'm in Moore County, so Uwharrie National Forest is, I believe, the closest non-permit game land to me, but I'd be willing to look around further afield (on public lands). Don't need GPS coordinates, of course, just want to know where you experienced hunters would send a new hunter on their first turkey hunt. Thank you!

Kris, I was there, too!!! That was a great program, I think, for beginners! So much information. I'm glad you won a hunt. I was not as lucky, however, I think you should just ask the Mentor. I'm sure they have a number of places in mind.

My husband won a mentored hunt and called last night to talk to the mentor. Lots of good information was shared.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Kris, I was there, too!!! That was a great program, I think, for beginners! So much information. I'm glad you won a hunt. I was not as lucky, however, I think you should just ask the Mentor. I'm sure they have a number of places in mind.

My husband won a mentored hunt and called last night to talk to the mentor. Lots of good information was shared.

Nice to talk to another person that was at that workshop! Even though you didn't win a mentored hunt at the workshop, you might still be able to find somebody who would be willing to take you on a mentored hunt. Somebody else who was at that workshop is in a Facebook group with me for women hunters in North Carolina and one of the NWTF hunter mentors whose mentored hunt somebody in our workshop won is in the group and she offered me and the other person to go on a mentored hunt with her. I had to decline because where she's at is too far for me to go, but the other person took her up on it. PM me, if you want more details. Maybe she'd be willing to help you out or might know somebody who could.

Nice to talk to another person that was at that workshop! Even though you didn't win a mentored hunt at the workshop, you might still be able to find somebody who would be willing to take you on a mentored hunt. Somebody else who was at that workshop is in a Facebook group with me for women hunters in North Carolina and one of the NWTF hunter mentors whose mentored hunt somebody in our workshop won is in the group and she offered me and the other person to go on a mentored hunt with her. I had to decline because where she's at is too far for me to go, but the other person took her up on it. PM me, if you want more details. Maybe she'd be willing to help you out or might know somebody who could.

Thanks Kris. I'm in the group, with you, on FB. So funny that we find each other in both locations (here and FB). My husband's mentor has graciously offered to mentor me (in place of you) and pawned my husband off on her husband!!! So we're BOTH getting a mentored hunt. We've even scheduled it, already!!!

I wish you luck in finding a place and connecting with your mentor.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just curious........I'm guessing neither of your mentors are members here on the forum. Hope you invited them over.

Amazon....... Wendell isn't too far from the Golden Corral. Be nice if you and your husband could join us Sat. night.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Just curious........I'm guessing neither of your mentors are members here on the forum. Hope you invited them over.

Amazon....... Wendell isn't too far from the Golden Corral. Be nice if you and your husband could join us Sat. night.

They don't seem to be. I will be sure to get on that, lasttombstone!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Thanks Kris. I'm in the group, with you, on FB. So funny that we find each other in both locations (here and FB). My husband's mentor has graciously offered to mentor me (in place of you) and pawned my husband off on her husband!!! So we're BOTH getting a mentored hunt. We've even scheduled it, already!!!

I wish you luck in finding a place and connecting with your mentor.

So I've been talking to the same person! LOL I got in touch with my NWTF mentor, but he said to wait and see if I get drawn for one of the game lands I put in for and then touch base with him next week. That's great you've got yours all scheduled! Good luck to both you and your husband! I hope you both have great hunts!

We would need to know their "handle" to establish if they are on here or not. They might be. They've had their hands in the hunting arena for some time. I've FM messaged to see.

Which Golden Coral & When? I'll see if the husband is up for it. We're going to the Dixie Deer Classic during the day so we might be tapped out for cash! o_O

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It is scheduled for 7 PM..........but some will be there earlier, at the Golden Corral on South Saunders St, right before the 70/401 split. There is a sticky at the top of the General Forum I believe. Check that out and you will see what a wonderful group of people will be in attendance. It is a great opportunity to meet and put a face to some of the local and not so local forum members. I think today's folks would call it networking.

It is scheduled for 7 PM..........but some will be there earlier, at the Golden Corral on South Saunders St, right before the 70/401 split. There is a sticky at the top of the General Forum I believe. Check that out and you will see what a wonderful group of people will be in attendance. It is a great opportunity to meet and put a face to some of the local and not so local forum members. I think today's folks would call it networking.

Are you not one of "today's folks"? bwahahahaha

I am familiar with that GC. What side will you all be on?

I'll talk to the husband and let you know if we'll be attending.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm still alive so I guess I'm one of "today's folks". But that and this forum are about the extent of it.

Room on the right side.......... closed off and away from the rest of society. We are too dangerous to be allowed to roam free.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I will be at the Dixie Deer Classic and the Golden Coral, Amazonchick, if you and your husband want to see a face that you've seen once before. :p Hope to see you there!

Will be hard to beat that venison chili we had Saturday. That was some good stuff!

That is true, Rodman BUT my husband made him some mean venison chili on Sunday, too. Different than Deet's. We like a little more spice in ours. Good stuff. He, my husband, said the suggestion of turkey dumplings changed his life. (I'm surprised he didn't get up and shake that man's hand!!)

I can't wait until after our mentored hunts for him to make it! He's the cook. I don't cook. He's just WAY better at it than I am.