Mechanical or Fixed

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
These heads are what I was using before mechanical heads became legal in nc. I think they were called blood trailers. They would fly great but were not reusable after hitting a deer,I only had five to hunt with and eventually was down to this one when I switched to mechanical heads. The first mechanical heads I hunted with are on the right, rocket 100 grain super penetration but also one time use. Both are recovered from kills20210731_100834.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Please share pics of some points you've made. I have to get to a different computer to access my pics...but I will.

Jim

:eek:
sorry,,,,didn't use my "I'm just messing around on this annual thread" font,,,,,,,:taz::stir:

which also explains my "can't figure out how to make one mechanical" post,,,:party:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sorry I missed that...I was hoping you might also be a flintknapper.

I made all but the fluted points in the bottom frame on the right. My buddy John Crawford made those Clovis points.

Jim

oh I wish I had the time,,, cool skill to have,,, those are some nice points,,,well done!!šŸ‘

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Latest Meateater podcast has an interesting discussion on arrows/broadheads.

wl704

Ten Pointer
There are tradeoffs...
Mech can create big holes, fly all with minimum effort... Can deploy too early or not at all...

Fixed may take a bit of work, have a long track record and used for all sizes of game. I'm not just hunting deer... Fixed for me.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Latest Meateater podcast has an interesting discussion on arrows/broadheads.

I was just about to post this before I saw it was already up. Some real eye opening data that guy talks about. All his data shows a mechanical head is about as bad a choice as a field point!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was just about to post this before I saw it was already up. Some real eye opening data that guy talks about. All his data shows a mechanical head is about as bad a choice as a field point!
How about we stop the gaslighting. That was not about shooting deer, which is what most people will assume. There is nothing wrong with a well placed mechanical. Nothing. Effin ranch fairy bullchit.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
How about we stop the gaslighting. That was not about shooting deer, which is what most people will assume. There is nothing wrong with a well placed mechanical. Nothing. Effin ranch fairy bullchit.
Pretty sure even Ashby goes on to say as much, but he still uses his preferred set up ā€œjust in caseā€. Thatā€™s what I took away from that podcast anyway. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø Donā€™t mind me though. Iā€™ll hurl a volley at em and walk away :ninja:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I switched to mechanical last year to see what all the Rage was about, pun intended, but going back to fixed this year.

Nothing to do with lethality ( I had one shot and he didnt make it 20 yards). They are just a pain in the arse when walking thru any type of brush. I felt like my collar was always breaking or needed to be messed with. Its just one less thing for me to screw up so I am going back to Muzzys. Cheaper too. lol. I do admit it was nice not having to mess with tuning as much but I would rather than than deal with the other crap. definitely indian error, Im just sloppy, but it is what it is.

Ask yourself this....which one has better steel, will not fail, can be sharpened, gives the best chance at recovering the deer when you make a bad shot or the deer moves?