Meat eater Back 40 episodes

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone watched any of these on YouTube? Pretty cool video series. Steve Rinella from Meateater and Mark Kenyon from Wired to Hunt buy a small parcel of land and go through their management strategy for it. Pretty relatable and down to earth. I like how they focus on not just the deer management, but overall wildlife management and biodiversity goals. Has great tips for the average hunter and land management on small parcels. Even better, it's not some fenced in farm in Iowa. Just an ole piece of farm land in rural Michigan. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I agree it is good stuff. Excited to see how they manage it over the next several years.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Didn't they do this last year? And we're supposed to give the land away to a fan? They killed 1 decent buck but otherwise it was quite uneventful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Didn't they do this last year? And we're supposed to give the land away to a fan? They killed 1 decent buck but otherwise it was quite uneventful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The Drurys did give away a Farm last year, Kenyon & Rinella mentioned giving it away, but it got pushed back. They were doing a hunt giveaway last year. If you listen to Kenyons podcast, he mentions several times that some of the plans got canceled or moved around & he had more pressure on the property than he expected due to tours & a couple small game hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Watched this yesterday (thanks for the post). Not too bad. Wish I owned that property.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoyed the series because it was way more realistic than most hunting shows. Very relatable. Almost any average guy could go out and buy a farm like that and go through the same trials and tribulations of trying to turn it into a decent place to hunt. I also liked the fact that it was in Michigan, state that is not really known for giant bucks. Rinella and his crew have plenty of money, they could have easily went out and bought a farm in Iowa, Kansas or some other big buck state and had gobs of footage of monster bucks walking around. Instead, they chose to pick a local place (Rinella is from Michigan as is Kenyon) and work it like a normal person would. No special mineral supplements, no feeding stations, no super duper biologically engineered food plots. Just a regular ole piece of farm land that they are trying to turn into a decent hunting spot. While they may not have been covered up in deer, I think any hunter would be happy to kill a buck like Kenyon did on their personal property.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I enjoyed the series because it was way more realistic than most hunting shows. Very relatable. Almost any average guy could go out and buy a farm like that and go through the same trials and tribulations of trying to turn it into a decent place to hunt. I also liked the fact that it was in Michigan, state that is not really known for giant bucks. Rinella and his crew have plenty of money, they could have easily went out and bought a farm in Iowa, Kansas or some other big buck state and had gobs of footage of monster bucks walking around. Instead, they chose to pick a local place (Rinella is from Michigan as is Kenyon) and work it like a normal person would. No special mineral supplements, no feeding stations, no super duper biologically engineered food plots. Just a regular ole piece of farm land that they are trying to turn into a decent hunting spot. While they may not have been covered up in deer, I think any hunter would be happy to kill a buck like Kenyon did on their personal property.

It kinda tore Kenyon up that they wanted to squirrel hunt it... but I think he finally came around to it. 😆

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It kinda tore Kenyon up that they wanted to squirrel hunt it... but I think he finally came around to it. [emoji38]

It’s going to be interesting this year- I did hear him say on a podcast that now that the show has aired, they are having issues with neighbors.. But that he is trying to keep the pressure as low as possible..

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Where’s the fenced in farms in Iowa?
That's what I like about Rinella/Meat Eater. He absolutely gets into some trophy animals, but he also gets skunked, and he also shoots non-magazine cover deer, and he talks about eating it every trip. And he isn't above casting a spinner for Pike when he's moose hunting in Alaska or doing a show setting trot lines for catfish or shooting doves and pigeons.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Half the stuff he cooks out in the wild, I'd love to try.

The film of the moose steaks he cooked on the side of the river looked like they'd be awesome !

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
One of my favorite to watch and after seeing him eat a coyote no doubt he’d try anything he hunts

Not sure which was more interesting, that coyote or the monkey in the Amazon....

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Well done proConservation documentary. The only thing I found funny was how poor Rinellas voice over sounded... not typical of any of his productions. Not a complaint just was surprised. His cabin in Prince of Wales looks incredible

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just add this here. Rinella's film "Stars In The Sky" is now available on NetFlix.

It's well-produced, and has a solid message. I think everyone here will enjoy it. Great way to spend an hour as the hunting season approaches...

https://www.netflix.com/title/81292225
Yes, I like that documentary. I know Rinella is a very polarizing figure in the hunting world. It seems people either love him or hate him, no in between. I think we need more people like him. He is very educated, articulate and not afraid to approach both sides of the aisle for their viewpoints, regardless of whether he agrees with them or not.

He writes some good books, as well. American Buffalo is a good read. And his wild game cook books offer some interesting ideas for the dinner table. I can honestly say he has opened my eyes to eating parts of an animal I never considered before, and has shown different ways of preparing wild game that have really helped increase my cooking knowledge and has made my family fall in love with wild game meat.

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Yes, I like that documentary. I know Rinella is a very polarizing figure in the hunting world. It seems people either love him or hate him, no in between. I think we need more people like him. He is very educated, articulate and not afraid to approach both sides of the aisle for their viewpoints, regardless of whether he agrees with them or not.

He writes some good books, as well. American Buffalo is a good read. And his wild game cook books offer some interesting ideas for the dinner table. I can honestly say he has opened my eyes to eating parts of an animal I never considered before, and has shown different ways of preparing wild game that have really helped increase my cooking knowledge and has made my family fall in love with wild game meat.
I agree with everything you are saying, what’s nuts is I can’t believe anyone would dislike him (aside from PETA) the guy is pretty genuine and doesn’t play it off that he’s the best in all aspects of hunting, matter of fact he talks about on occasion how bad he is at archery and leans towards his rifle for ethical kills. Someone mentioned his America buffalo book and I will agree that it’s well written but his “must read” book (that he did not write) he quotes more often than not is “my life with the Eskimo” INCREDIBLE. One of the best books I’ve ever read in my life. So between the culinary aspect, the conservation aspect, the self deprecating aspect of Rinella, he’s entertaining at worst. Insightful at best.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I laugh hard when he takes a shot and misses (which isn't often). He'll say something like "I don't know what happened there. It's like amateur hour or something."
Like said... he's genuine. He admits he's fallable. He's honest with himself and his audience.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I enjoy listening & watching Rinella’s content.. he has an entertaining crew.. I will say though, the “public land trumps all” singular mentality he has towards politics gets a little old.. Did not agree with his support of Tester.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy listening & watching Rinella’s content.. he has an entertaining crew.. I will say though, the “public land trumps all” singular mentality he has towards politics gets a little old.. Did not agree with his support of Tester.

Yea, I don't necessarily agree with all Rinella's positions, but that doesn't mean I still can't like him and it doesn't mean that he's not a good face/voice for the sport.

Guys like Rinella and Randy Newberg catch a lot of flak, especially from the hard core western hunting crowd, because they have actively promoted western, DIY public land hunting. There is no doubt that they have drawn lots of new people to the sport. Some people don't like that and blame them for "overcrowding" and "ruining their favorite public land spots." Groups like the Hunting Public and the Hunting Beast catch a lot of scorn, as well, because some people feel like they are "giving away secrets." or "taking the learning curve out of public land hunting." Personally, I enjoy their content and feel like they offer great insight, both into hunting and conservation in general.

Rinella is also an avid reader and I like to read some of the books he talks about. My Life with the Eskimo and Arctic Dreams are both great books.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yea, I don't necessarily agree with all Rinella's positions, but that doesn't mean I still can't like him and it doesn't mean that he's not a good face/voice for the sport.

Guys like Rinella and Randy Newberg catch a lot of flak, especially from the hard core western hunting crowd, because they have actively promoted western, DIY public land hunting. There is no doubt that they have drawn lots of new people to the sport. Some people don't like that and blame them for "overcrowding" and "ruining their favorite public land spots." Groups like the Hunting Public and the Hunting Beast catch a lot of scorn, as well, because some people feel like they are "giving away secrets." or "taking the learning curve out of public land hunting." Personally, I enjoy their content and feel like they offer great insight, both into hunting and conservation in general.

Rinella is also an avid reader and I like to read some of the books he talks about. My Life with the Eskimo and Arctic Dreams are both great books.

I do enjoy the content, but didn’t necessarily agree with the “public lands trumps all else “ mentality.. I would definitely say Rinella is attracting more folks, or at least giving them something to think about. THP is definitely a favorite of mine & it’s alittle near sighted for the folks to scream about “more hunters” on “their” public lands.. More hunters simply means more money being generated & potentially more access.