Mead Recommendations

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Any other mead drinkers on here? I was looking for meads made by Starrlight Meadery (based in Pittsboro) today, but the place I went to didn't have any. The guy I talked to recommended some meads they had from Slovakia, said they were great, so I got a bottle of a traditional mead from there. Tried it this evening and it's fabulous! I like it even better than the mead I was looking for!

Does anyone have any mead recommendations? I'd like to branch out and try other kinds made by different meaderies. I prefer traditionals, but am willing to try other stuff, like melomels, which seem to be very popular.

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_220054662.jpg
    IMG_20201111_220054662.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Come to pittsboro.
The meadery is awesome.

Then you will have time to smash some Jordan lake squirrels. Great game land 5mins from starlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
For years brewed my own. Hard part was waiting for 4 months for 5 gal only to drink it (with help) in about a month.🙄 It was good. Used to buy stuff from a meadery in Cary I think, Desis Dew??, but I think he is closed now. Every now and then the local bottle shop has one. This post is driving me To go in there tonight after work. 😀

KrisB

Ten Pointer
For years brewed my own. Hard part was waiting for 4 months for 5 gal only to drink it (with help) in about a month.🙄 It was good. Used to buy stuff from a meadery in Cary I think, Desis Dew??, but I think he is closed now. Every now and then the local bottle shop has one. This post is driving me To go in there tonight after work. 😀

I made my first batch of mead (a traditional mead using Clary sage honey from a local beekeeper) back in July, using the older methods described by Ken Schramm in The Compleat Meadmaker rather than the TOSNA protocol stuff. So, I will have to wait a year to taste it. Planning on making some more batches in the meantime. I'm sticking with 1-gallon batches for now, though I do have a 5-gallon carboy.

What kinds of mead did you brew? Seems like melomels are popular among the meadmaking crowd.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
I made my first batch of mead (a traditional mead using Clary sage honey from a local beekeeper) back in July, using the older methods described by Ken Schramm in The Compleat Meadmaker rather than the TOSNA protocol stuff. So, I will have to wait a year to taste it. Planning on making some more batches in the meantime. I'm sticking with 1-gallon batches for now, though I do have a 5-gallon carboy.

What kinds of mead did you brew? Seems like melomels are popular among the meadmaking crowd.
I kept it simple: honey and apple/ honey. Used champagne yeast, racked it 3 times over 4 months. The honey was sharp, I liked it. Adding apple added a odd but delicious sweet vinegar taste. Daughters really liked that one. Maybe with them out of the house it’ll last longer if I start it up again.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
I bought two bottles of Fox Hill Meadery mead. It’s from Marshal NC. Pulled the cork on the Off Dry (it’s not very dry), not bad. Prob Sunday before I get to the 2d bottle (a traditional mead) unless I decide to really annoy my wife 🙄

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
For me it was same method as brewing hard cider except honey as the base vice cider and a longer process. It’s an acquired taste, never had to worry about sharing most batches with my wife. She likes really sweet and I mostly made drier/sharper.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Never heard of mead. Guess don’t get out far enough.

Sometimes people call it honey wine, but it's different from wine. Mead is thousands of years old and the simplest, oldest version of it is made from just honey, water, and yeast. It's had a big resurgence in popularity among homebrewers in recent years. Nowadays a lot of people like to add different things to it when they make it, like hops to make it more like beer or fruits to give it a different kind of sweetness, spices, etc. Definitely unlike any other alcohol you'll taste, but you may like it. :)

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Trying the 2d bottle. I like it, the missus says it’s closer to tolerable than the other bottle.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Got a bottle of Apimed's Barrique Mead (barrel-aged mead) today to try. It's good, tastes more complex than the traditional one I tried. Looks like Apimed is one of the largest meaderies in Slovakia and has won many awards. They don't have much mead selection at the wine store, but so far I like the Apimed, which they said they get in regularly.

I bought two bottles of Fox Hill Meadery mead. It’s from Marshal NC. Pulled the cork on the Off Dry (it’s not very dry), not bad. Prob Sunday before I get to the 2d bottle (a traditional mead) unless I decide to really annoy my wife 🙄

I looked up Fox Hill Meadery's website, but didn't see the Off-Dry. Have you tried any of their others besides off-dry and traditional? They all sound interesting!

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Will go back and look at the other selections. They had a big selection of brands. I Always try for Carolina brewers.

Wncbowhunter

Ten Pointer
mmmmmmmh, guess this happens when you are not a drinker, but in 49 years I had never heard of this. NCH&F never fails me in learning about new things.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
So, not quite Meade, but it made me think of this thread when I tasted it. Sweet and tame and sweeeeeet.
3f617a63c5fcd91077eef9643bfeaa3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witler

Eight Pointer
Any other mead drinkers on here? I was looking for meads made by Starrlight Meadery (based in Pittsboro) today, but the place I went to didn't have any. The guy I talked to recommended some meads they had from Slovakia, said they were great, so I got a bottle of a traditional mead from there. Tried it this evening and it's fabulous! I like it even better than the mead I was looking for!

Does anyone have any mead recommendations? I'd like to branch out and try other kinds made by different meaderies. I prefer traditionals, but am willing to try other stuff, like melomels, which seem to be very popular.
Name of place you bought Slavakia from?