May 8 2020

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Ready for em. Didn't today em and they've been scattered lately. Not as dependable. We'll see.

Good luck

hawkman

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Not feeling too optimistic this morning anymore. Was excited that I got to the gate I wanted first this morning. Wanted to get here yesterday morning but a truck was already here so I went to plan B. Walked half a mile back to where I wanted to start and have since had 2 separate people walk by me....I parked directly beside the gate [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Heard 2.5. 2 growed ones and a short hair. The short hair was running with one of the long beards, the other one had 3 hens. The 2 came but only the jake showed himself in range. The others have wandered off property.

Gorgeous morning.

stevewes2004

Four Pointer
Ended up hearing one gobble across the road probably 400yds. My only hope for tomorrow is that he roosts on my side tonight.. or there’s another bird near by that I didn’t hear this morning.

Great day to be out!

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Not feeling too optimistic this morning anymore. Was excited that I got to the gate I wanted first this morning. Wanted to get here yesterday morning but a truck was already here so I went to plan B. Walked half a mile back to where I wanted to start and have since had 2 separate people walk by me....I parked directly beside the gate [emoji2371]

Are you on a draw hunt?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
End up with 4 hens flying down, a few minutes apart, and then walked in past my setup. This was late, around 7am. Then, I finally heard a gobble but he was a little far off. Had to work so I'm gone now.

hawkman

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Heard one way off that we couldn't get to. We were in a bottom and I swear we heard another one close but could not tell which direction he was gobbling from. He gobbled twice and shut up. No clue where he was.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Miss is all i can accomplish lately. two spot miss this am. As everyone has noted it was a fine morning to miss.
But hitting would have been much better. :)
I had a season start that way several years ago. Missed three the first week and knew something was wrong. Set up a target and starting shooting. Found out it wasn’t me there was very little shot in the shells. I called Winchester complaining and the guy admitted they had a defective run of shells. He offered to send me some but I told him no thanks. Last time I have shot a Winchester shell. If you’re missing regularly it might not be you.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hunted with a guy I've been friends with for over 48 years up by his property in Franklin County this morning. He tagged out in 3 hunts this year and the only reason it wasn't in 2 hunts is the shot on the second bird was questionable, so he got a pass. We heard and saw zero turkeys today. Beautiful day to be in the woods until the wind got up, just not the right outcome. Tomorrow morning I'll be at my old standby. It has given up closing day birds before.

Jim

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Talk about “misses”, one year I was down in Alabama, first three birds I shot all flew off one I shot twice, we’ll im disgusted and know I can’t be missing that bad, well I find a big piece of discarded cardboard where somebody had threw out there trash, I set it up walk back about 30yds( it was kinda thick there I couldn’t see much further) and shoot and about 75% of the pellets ( 3.5” 2ounce of #4) stuck in The cardboard, haven’t put another Winchester turkey shell in my gun since

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I had a season start that way several years ago. Missed three the first week and knew something was wrong. Set up a target and starting shooting. Found out it wasn’t me there was very little shot in the shells. I called Winchester complaining and the guy admitted they had a defective run of shells. He offered to send me some but I told him no thanks. Last time I have shot a Winchester shell. If you’re missing regularly it might not be you.
well i meant miss in terms of "missing gobblers that are ready to play, not shooting misses." :)
unfortunately though i do miss and when I do it's all me. LOL.

np307

Ten Pointer
Enjoying walking through some new territory. Just a wingbone and a shotgun today. This is my last hunt, can't get out tomorrow. Maybe heard a distant gobble at sun up but nothing after that. Good luck all.
Fitting end to a tough season. Quiet with lots of walking. Now to take care of all the things that have been simmering on the back burner for the last month.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I think this was in 2004, zach’s Grandpa what year was your Winchester problem?

In 2005, I shot and lost a turkey at 37 yards with Winchester Supreme 1 & 3/4 oz. of #6s I'd bought that year. He was behind very few sweetgums no bigger around than a #2 pencil at the base and less than 3' tall. I saw more bird than leaves. It rolled him and he got up running. I found cut feathers and a little blood, but never found the bird. I was confident I was on him for the shot. Never knew about Winchester ammo issues until right now. I switched to Federals for a couple years and went to Hevi after that.

Jim

Middle Age Crazy

First I've heard of this but back about the same year I pulverized one with Winchesters so hard that it knocked him flat to the ground from 30 yards.............then he got up and flew over the river like nothing happened. I shoot Federal now in shotguns and in rifles Federal and Hornady.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
In 2005, I shot and lost a turkey at 37 yards with Winchester Supreme 1 & 3/4 oz. of #6s I'd bought that year. He was behind very few sweetgums no bigger around than a #2 pencil at the base and less than 3' tall. I saw more bird than leaves. It rolled him and he got up running. I found cut feathers and a little blood, but never found the bird. I was confident I was on him for the shot. Never knew about Winchester ammo issues until right now. I switched to Federals for a couple years and went to Hevi after that.

Jim
That's what I was shooting Win Supreme

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Helped my nephew get his first this morning. Nothing like waiting till the end, but we’ll take it.

Congratulations to the young man!

Better late than never? Of course! It makes it all worthwhile.

My first bird ever came to me in the last Friday evening of the season! I worked hard for it and it was such a thrill to get it. I kept repeating "I got a bird" again and again. Forgot I had that on cell phone video.

hawkman

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Left my spot this morning and drove past a field where my buddy has been striking out in his quest for a gobbler that hangs out there. There he was, 40 yds from the asphalt, 0900, full sun, strutting like a madman. Whatever end of the field you pick, he'll appear at the other. [emoji2369][emoji3]

hawkman

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nothing worse in the Turkey hunting game than figuring out your ghost bird on the next to the last day.
Wednesday my brother said he heard a bird gobble on the backside of our place. I have not heard that bird since the week of opening day. I go out Thursday morning and nothing again. This morning I go over to some land I have permission to hunt on Barbecue creek where I heard 3 on Sunday. Not a bird gobbled this morning. Come back and go to the back of our place and call and still nothing .... Go back to Barbeque creek and still no gobbling birds.
I go home to head out for work at 8am.
My daughter comes out and said , daddy, a Turkey was gobbling in the woods past the house at 7 30ish. I go back to the property again and call and still NOTHING.
I just assume it is one of the 3 jakes that she and my brother heard. Well my wife gets home and says ,,,, hey babe ,I heard a Turkey gobble this morning when I left down the road .

What????
Something told me to check my front field. I had disced it up Wednesday evening and something told me that ghost bird just may be hanging out with his hens down there being the Quiet Man he is.
I go down there after work today and you could not step anywhere without stepping in a Turkey track. Looked like a gobbler and a hen and possibly 2 more birds. Yes the gobbler had been strutting in the field from the spinning pattern of his tracks.
Hopefully I will hear him tomorrow.