Mathews Monster MR7

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Got a friend looking to sell his Monster MR7 and im thinking about it. Just wanted to get any input good or bad before I do. I onkw its an older bow but I can't afford a VXR or Vertix so it's within my price range. What are any issues or good things about it that I might need to know? Also any idea of a good price range for it?

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Ok so sounds like a decent bow from thise two responses. He said he wants $450 for it. Is that a reasonable price? Its in good shape

30/06

Twelve Pointer
One of Mathews better efforts, buy it cheap, throw on new set of custom strings and be good to go for years to come. It was fast for its day, don't let what the bow companies say fool ya, new bows aren't much better, just cost a ton more.

Last edited:

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
Buy it and save your money. I'm still shooting a 2013 Elite Answer. It's not that old but the technology of bows hasn't jumped enough to justify the increase in price.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
$450 is on the warm side when it comes to price.....but I’m not saying it isn’t worth it.

I still shoot a Monster 7. I think it’s a 2010 or so. You can’t really do any better for deer hunting. Even today....I don’t know that anything has really improved since then.

That should be a 33-34” axle to axle. So much better to shoot than the teeny bows that everyone thinks they need for a tree stand.

They are good bows. I’d offer $300 and see where it shakes out.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought brand new bare halon last year and a used obsession hemorrhage loaded out the other day both for less than he’s asking for a much older bow. Look on archery talk without being in a hurry and you’ll find deals to be had on 2 to 3 year old flagships. Wait a few more days and one of mine will probably be looking for a home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would say that if you are shooting a bow for the first time, a speed bow like the MR7 may be a little tricky for one to start with. It’s a good enough bow but you are going to pay close attention to grip, face pressure, balance, and make sure DL is exact. Mathews do run a little long.

Boggsjp

Button Buck
I would say that if you are shooting a bow for the first time, a speed bow like the MR7 may be a little tricky for one to start with. It’s a good enough bow but you are going to pay close attention to grip, face pressure, balance, and make sure DL is exact. Mathews do run a little long.

Great advice! I hunt with an mr7 currently. It has been a great bow in the woods. It is not very forgiving when shooting for target points but plenty strong and accurate in the woods.

Check out the archery talk forum if you want to shop around. Price seems a little high to me. I bought mine 4 years ago on the AT forum.

If your still looking when Halloween rolls around, Id consider letting mine go to a good home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
It’s not worth anything If the draw length and draw weight don’t match your personal stature perfect.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Did you make a choice yet?
Sorry I haven't responded yet, work has been crazy this week/month so far. Yes I did go ahead and pull the trigger on it. He came off the price some for me. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet as I'm gonna get new strings and such like I always do right out the gate with used bows.

Officerstanley

Button Buck
So I just picked up the bow and it is in great shape so im happy with that. One question I have is when you come to full draw on it the cam stop where it catches the cable make a pretty noticeable noise. I know its just the cable going in the groove on the stop but is there a way to make it quieter or silent? I've read some people have used mole skin or something which could work but its such a narrow groove it might prove challenging to get good adhesion. Slso my concern would be it making the back wall a little more mushy. I could live with the slight mushy feel if it were silent. I just don't want the noise to scare a deer.

Officerstanley

Button Buck
I only hear ot from the one (top one). I've not taken it to my local shop to have the strings replaced and tuned yet so that may help some im sure. Im probably just jumping the gun on it but I'm trying to get a plan in case it doesn't solve the issue

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Makes a noise when the cable goes into the cable stop groove?

a bump? Screech? Wail? Click?
What kind of noise?

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Kind of a thud. To me it just sounds like the serving on the cable hitting the aluminum of the cam fast and coming to an immediate stop. Granted with the more aggressive cams I muscle through the draw pretty good so it comes into the back wall pretty hot. Not fast enough to jump back out of the wall but not a slow smooth break over the peak into the wall. Not sure if the draw cycle terminology is the 100% correct wording but thats how it feels to me.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
It’s been my experience that with the MR series of bows they need to be drawn “smooth” into the back wall. Meaning dont bounce it off the cams when at the back. My suggestion is pull it to the hard spot and then ease it through it. Also don’t put moleskin on it. Some of those bows had shallower groves cut in the cam and the bow could derail if something was in the track.