Marlin 60

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just traded into one for a small safe I got for free. The stock is pretty good but there is about a 4" area on the barrel the bluing is gone. Now the good part. It's a 1988 model which is around when the changed to a 19" barrel and 15 rounds to appease the Commies. This one however has the 22" barrel and the 18 round tube and a rarity, last shot bolt open.

"During the late-1980s, the capacity of the rifle was reduced to a 15-round maximum limit, to meet New Jersey's firearms law for semi-automatic guns. For a few years in the mid-1980s the Model 60 rifles had both the "last shot hold open" feature and also held 18 rounds in the tube magazine. Those rifles with those two features are among the most sought after Model 60s. "

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I picked up a 60 that holds 18 rounds. a couple months ago....need some work but it is getting there. Squirrel on stock as well......

I'll be disassembling it tonight for a thorough cleaning. Gonna try cold blue paste on the barrel. May just spray it matte black. Worst case there are tons of barrels on ebay.

klim

Twelve Pointer
I highly recommend one of these, put one in mine, made the world of difference.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
45-70; Mack...... have either of you guys tried replacing the disconnect spring with a reworked floppy disk spring. I didn't have the right pliers to hold and bend the thing but I did finally get one to work. It really made a difference in the trigger. If I get motivated over the winter I'm gonna change out the ones in my other 2 Mod. 60.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
45-70; Mack...... have either of you guys tried replacing the disconnect spring with a reworked floppy disk spring. I didn't have the right pliers to hold and bend the thing but I did finally get one to work. It really made a difference in the trigger. If I get motivated over the winter I'm gonna change out the ones in my other 2 Mod. 60.
I have not.....I am going to get the kit klim posted.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just got the rifle today......

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took one of those apart. The gunsmith put it back together for me with a new spring.

Good luck with it.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took one of those apart. The gunsmith put it back together for me with a new spring.

Good luck with it.

I took the stock off to check things out. It's not terrible dirty and the buffer block looks good. Gonna just give her a good cleaning and go shooting.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Good luck with it.

haha

makes me remember,,,

I was 12 I think,,, took my mom's Model 60 down all the way,,, dropped a pin and it went through a crack in the hardwood floor,,, took me a bit to get it back,,, and 3 days of getting that gun back together right,,, good thing mom wasn't looking for it!!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The only real problem I had with taking the first one down (before I became aware of Arrowdodger on youtube) was that I failed to compress the hammer spring before disassembly. It took many tries, tore my fingers all to pieces and nearly put my eye out a couple of times trying to get that pin back behind that spring.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Shout out to Lasttomsbstone for the assist with my double feed issue. Haven't test fired it yet but I think it will be good to go.

On another topic. These iron sight suck and I don't want yet another scoped rifle. Has anyone tried the Williams Firesights made for these guns?