Mangrove snapper

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Got a week scheduled in Palm Coast FL next wk. we’re staying right on a small canal. I don’t plan to do much “serious” fishing, but being there’s a dock in the yard I’d really like to put my kids on some fun, productive fishing. Anyone know much about catching these or have any tips? I’ve been told there quite a few mangrove snapper in the area, but I’m totally clueless. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thx

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Thx. I’m hoping they’ll keep the kids’ interest and maybe with some luck get us a supper? Heck anything to tug a line will be a win.

Im gonna be a few miles south on A1A in Ormond. Charter a boat out of Port Orange if you are looking for keepers. If yall are fishing the Halifax good luck. Full of sail cats and rays .. Some decent sheepshead around bridge pilings. A few small trout on the banks on the deep side of sand bars as well. Live shrimp works well.

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
By a cheap chum bag and pick up a few frozen blocks to hang off the dock. Use light fluorocarbon leader because those things are finicky and small weighted hooks like these tipped with squid or shrimp and hide the hook. My two boys had it perfected after our second trip to the keys.
f716b0e582fd3d6d82e40ad79501e1b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If I read regs correctly, no fishing license required if fishing from land correct?

I've had to buy an adult saltwater license fishing from the shore in FL but I wasn't fishing on property owned or rented by me

Local tackle shops should know

Edit- don't know if kids/minors need a license or not

Everyone over 16 has to have a license. You can buy a 3 day non res license for $17. If you charter a boat you dont need to buy one.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
All you need to keep some live shrimp alive (you don't need live) is

a bucket and something like this:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Also, if you've never handled a mangrove before, keep your fingers away from their mouth (especially the kids). They have two vampire teeth like a speckled trout and those things will clamp down and get lock jaw.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Thx all. I saw where residents can fish from the bank with no license, but appears nonresidents must have. I’d have asked when I got there, but just trying to get small stuff taken care of before hand. Those teeth do look nasty - looks like more punch than a speck would have

Carolinacrazy25

Button Buck
Yupp. Cut shrimp into 3-4 pieces depending on size put on a small circle hook with a split shot. Let it sink to the bottom (usually won’t make it there if the snappers are there) lift it a few pulls, reel up and cast again. Should be fairly simple for your kids to catch some

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Plenty of youtube videos on mangrove snapper as well

Inshore and offshore videos

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Live shrimp, live pilchards, play the tides. One of my favorite fish to eat in a large fish fry. Don’t throw grunts away, they make fantastic Grunts and Grits breakfast.

Reactions: CRC