Man Bun

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I did it. The real man bun. Bought a sous vide setup. I have been getting it dialed in on venison steak, and am here to report that it is the real deal. What is working for me is to season with steak tenderizer, Montreal seasoning and thyme. Then water bath it for 1:15 at 138 degrees. Finish by pan searing in butter. VERY GOOD!!

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I thought I wanted one but I cooked a venison steak yesterday on the flat top. Put some butter down and a teaspoon of minced garlic and in 13 min 47 seconds it was cooked and eaten.

Not totally against it. I might have to have someone cook me something with it.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I did it. The real man bun. Bought a sous vide setup. I have been getting it dialed in on venison steak, and am here to report that it is the real deal. What is working for me is to season with steak tenderizer, Montreal seasoning and thyme. Then water bath it for 1:15 at 138 degrees. Finish by pan searing in butter. VERY GOOD!!

138F seems high to me. I don't cook venison steaks but I cook a beef ribeye at 126.5F.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
There is no doubt they are a wild game tough meat gift to earth.
I would never put a back strap in one.
120* 4-6 hours makes meat ready to fry or curry.
Or shred.
I would say it is the lean wild game gift to earth. It cooks to perfection and doesn't lose a drop of moisture. I will be trying a back strap in the near future.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
It's the jam. I'm running home at lunch to fire up the joule. Elk ham peckers (eye of round) on 120* for 4 hours then seared in a pan on high heat for about 30 seconds a side. Fork tender.

Going to do some squirrel hams soon. Sousvide to tenderize then fried crispy tossed in buffalo sauce.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It's the jam. I'm running home at lunch to fire up the joule. Elk ham peckers (eye of round) on 120* for 4 hours then seared in a pan on high heat for about 30 seconds a side. Fork tender.

Going to do some squirrel hams soon. Sousvide to tenderize then fried crispy tossed in buffalo sauce.
Haven't yet tried it on our elk, but will be soon!!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Haven't yet tried it on our elk, but will be soon!!
You should try it on a big hunk of backstrap. I do mine at 125* for an hour, then pan sear in butter for a little crust. Perfect medium rare every time.

My brother does his the same, but then finishes it on high broil in the oven to crisp it. Haven't tried that yet.

You'll be going down a rabbit hole now...

You can do a lot of stuff with the sousvide.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I learned a new thing to use with the sous vide. I finished off a batch of summer sausage. I have used it in the past to finish summer sausage after vacuum sealing. This time I tossed them directly into the water without sealing. Everyone says this was my best summer sausage so far.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
By his second sentence I was thinking he actually had his hair in that silly looking thing and was going to be excommunicated. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
138F seems high to me. I don't cook venison steaks but I cook a beef ribeye at 126.5F.
Yeah. Still playing with it some. I started at the recommended 133, but didn't like the texture. Upped it to 138 and increase time just a bit and got something l liked much better.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Everything I have seen says 140 is medium. Having said that, my results from 138 look very much like what is suggested in the pic.