Male cow killer

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
For those of you not familiar with this insect, it's book name is velvet ant, but for those of us who grew up in the country down East it is and should always be called a cow killer. My sister stepped on one which she had chopped in two a half hour previous while hoeing tobacco and it still managed to pop her in the instep and she hopped on her good foot for over a hundred yards before putting the affected foot down, crying the whole time. They hurt!

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Kinda hate to admit I have a blood cousin that did the following...he saw the bright red insect crawling on the ground. He picked it up between his thumb and index finger. He said he saw the stinger come out then "BAM!!!". Got him on his thumb. I laughed and said something like,"You saw that bright red cow ant that is colored in a way to be a warning and you picked it up???". Sometimes I don't know about that boy. 🤣🤣

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Daughter filmed a female (cow killer, I know what some jokester is thinking already lol) running through the back yard today. Sucker moved pretty quick for a little bug. Can't seem to share the video.

Reactions: DRS