Maine Turkeys.... trying to figure out how many they got

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Population #s have to be a challenge. The birds have really taken hold in the northern regions we saw a lot when we were moose hunting. But then this winter has been one of the snowest on record. My mom has already had to have her roof shoveled off 8 times. How turkeys will survive in those conditions is beyond me I suspect there will be significant winter kill this year.
Looks like Maine Wildlife folks are going to tag birds to help get some population #s.

https://www1.maine.gov/wordpress/in...s-to-determine-maines-wild-turkey-population/

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup I'm sure far northern states have challenge with the winter kill w
Wi Mich and Minn couple others that come mind. Birds are tough they'll hang in them trees for days on end when snow is to deep I just hope that's not case for Maine tough getting them started and established in area like that to have em get killed off. Reminded me of story buddy of mine from Pa told he watched them out his kitchen window for week sold bear a big snow storm to point he felt sorry for the birds and quit hunting them for while.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Not sure how long they can tough it out over an extended period. It certainly has been a tough one up that way this winter.