Maine Turkey Hunting

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well I had a blast even though I never even fired a shot. This was my first time turkey hunting in Maine and I can tell you I got to increase my knowledge some.

20210515_075947.jpg

I was hunting about as far north as you can and still be in the United States. This winter there was large flocks that stayed in areas where they we often seen by people and could get food from bird feeders and cow :donk:donk:donk:donk . Now that spring is there and the flocks have broken up they have so much area to roam its tough to find them. I thought if I found the hens that their mobility would be some what limited and the gobblers would be around them. I'm not sure why that thinking was so wrong or maybe the hens hadn't started nesting yet. I found a couple of hens with a strutting gobbler Sunday ( no hunting) late in the day so that's where we started Monday. We'll that didn't work.

20210512_081151.jpg

I could of used my snow camo hat lol

I was on public land most of the time and didn't encounter anyone else. For 2 days I didn't see any turkeys nor did I hear any. Days were long shooting... light was 430 and it was 30 to 45 minute ride to get to where we hunted and it was about 830 before it got dark.
The one day I had 2 gobblers responding but the were on the opposite side of a very large agricultural field and I didn't have permission to hunt.

I guess the kicker was on my way home not long after I got on 95 south there was a Gobbler strutting along the medium with no other bird around him.
I'll be back probably in the fall but certainly I've got to get back up in the Spring and figure out where these birds go....

20210510_092804.jpg

Typical situation you driving to a spot and you find the beavers have blocked the road so you got a 20 mile some backtrack to get around.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
20210514_101916.jpg

Brunch one day cooked sausages over open fire. We ate good I guess cause it didn't depend on our hunting ability. đŸ˜‰

Made plans for bear hunt and turkey hunt this fall....maybe a moose hunt to if one of my family or buddies draws... my last year sitting out of the lottery.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Made plans for bear hunt and turkey hunt this fall....maybe a moose hunt to if one of my family or buddies draws...

have,,,,,,,,,

guns,,,​
camping gear,,,​
cooking skills (well depends on who you ask),,,,,,​
strong back,,,,,​
"totin' skills",,, whether that's luggage or game,,,,​
truck that don't mind miles,,,,​
game tracking dogs,,,,​
secret turkey weapons,,,,​
will hit up "Grandma's Donuts" for bait over the summer,,,,​

outdoorNC

Spike
I understand that you can hunt private land in Maine and some of the other New England states without permission of the landowner, unless the land is posted. However, it is considered good manners to ask the landowner if you can hunt the land even if it is not posted. So if you see a gobbler on non posted private land you hunt him.