Magnetohydrodynamic(catapillar)drive on US submarine

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Magnetohydrodynamic drive(catapillar drive) being tested on the USS Montana submarine. When The Hunt for Red October came out, I wondered if the technology would be implemented on a sub in my lifetime.

JayR

Four Pointer
What's the date on that article?

The technology works, it was actually mentioned in one of my engineering textbooks. However, one practical issue is that while running the current through the seawater, you're essentially performing electro-machining (opposite of electroplating), and one of the electrodes just erodes away.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What's the date on that article?

The technology works, it was actually mentioned in one of my engineering textbooks. However, one practical issue is that while running the current through the seawater, you're essentially performing electro-machining (opposite of electroplating), and one of the electrodes just erodes away.
The date on the article is 4/1/2024....

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
In the novel I think Clancy said "a seismic anomaly". Article says"seismic activity". He was basically spot on. He had some good resources. And knowledge from research. He sold the rights for the "The Hunt For Red October" for $5,000. $5,000!!!

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
This tech is new to me .
What caught my attention was the Catapillar name and new drive ,
but with a simular name you may know as a hydrostatic transmission.
( I used to manufacture and inspect parts for these )