Made a BIG BOY purchase fellas!

CarolinaReaper

If you are ever around Raleigh let me know, I'll listen to it. I know my way around a 5.7 pretty well after 10 years and 163k miles.

Will do. Yeah man, couldn't really believe a service department didn't wanna try to sell me some sort of repair of fix. Hey, maybe I am just being paranoid, but I still think she's making some sort of racket it shouldn't. But, for now, just gonna drive the hell outta the car I suppose. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I am gonna use some all in one fuel system cleaner, fill her up with 89 and change the oil next week. See where that gets me. I am also planning to take her to a local muffler shop and have them poke around for any sort of leak or looseness, and also to do a mid muffler delete, because, why not? šŸ¤Ŗ

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Suggestion, drive it a couple months before spending any money on modifications. Just my opinion though. Just to make sure the car donā€™t throw any kinks into your plans.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Check the plastic upper intake bolts, they are known to loosen. It's something like 15 lbs ft but double check that number. On my 5.7 they were all a full turn loose before I torqued them :oops:

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
If that engine has over head cams and 4 valves per cylinder its going to make more noise on top than engines with cam buried in the center

CarolinaReaper

Check the plastic upper intake bolts, they are known to loosen. It's something like 15 lbs ft but double check that number. On my 5.7 they were all a full turn loose before I torqued them :oops:

Damn, full turn loose? Well okay, I will.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lucas oil treatment is your friend for a quieter engine, I've used it for years to quieten my Nissan Titan's engine which has ticking and tapping from day one but never gave me any upper engine issues. Now the lower part from exhaust manifold back, that's another story.

CarolinaReaper

Little update. After the dodge techs basically told me I was being paranoid, I am still taking her Monday to have the exhaust looked at and see if there is a possible leak. If so, I want it fixed. Also still going ahead with the mid muffler delete, because why not. šŸ¤Ŗ

Been eyeing the hell out of a set of dodge demon rims for her at discount tire. Just gonna have to save a little cash.

vxw-s299_xl.jpg

IMG_2021.JPG

CarolinaReaper

So just a quick update fellas for any of you who may care.

The "ticking" noise is still present and audible. I have now had THREE different auto shops look at her and tell me that that noise wasn't indicative of anything a miss in the engine that will hurt it. They all just keep telling it's a normal hemi noise and to just drive on. Yeah, well, Okay I guess. Just gonna have to get over it I suppose. I got the exhaust straight piped last week. Absolutely LOVE the way it sounds. Took her in today for a full synthetic oil change. I had noticed a slight rubbing noise coming from my front right tire. They ended up having to do a front end alignment because I basically had one tire going one direction and another going a different way. Which added up, because the side that was messed up was where the rubbing noise was coming from. They printed me out a chart and a picture to show me just how bad it was. It didn't look good. One tire was showing a decent amount of wear vs the others. So had that taken care of. Shes still running very well, but I just can't get over that damn ticking racket, but I guess there ain't much I can do, other than to have someone tear the motor apart and spend a couple thousand dollars, which I ain't gonna do. I had hoped the oil change may have helped lubricate the cams a little better, but so far the noise is the same.

Also, my exhaust had 2 very tiny holes around one of the clamps, The muffler shop pointed that out to and let me actually hear where air was leaking out. So I had them weld it and throw those cheap clamps away.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
For what itā€™s worth, my truck has a little over 300,000 on it. It has had a ā€œtickā€ since day one. Itā€™s not a Dodge.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As to the Demon replicas... Discount usually has good sales around the holidays. I've bought a couple sets of wheels, buy 4 get a visa gift card, use their card get another visa gift card.
As to the ticking... I never saw a reply to my question if the big engine cover is installed. The sole purpose of that cover is to mask the loud fuel injector ticking.

CarolinaReaper

As to the Demon replicas... Discount usually has good sales around the holidays. I've bought a couple sets of wheels, buy 4 get a visa gift card, use their card get another visa gift card.
As to the ticking... I never saw a reply to my question if the big engine cover is installed. The sole purpose of that cover is to mask the loud fuel injector ticking.

Yeah, the engine cover is installed. I suppose it's just something I'll have to live with brother.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is the foam stuffed between the upper and lower intakes still there? The front you can see, the rear you have to feel for. It's about the size of a hockey puck in the rear. More quieting junk.....

Last edited:

82ndAirborneVet

Four Pointer
Well, a couple of days ago I made a purchase, that I'v been wanting to make for quite some time now. Been saving and looking for well over a year seriously and finally went ahead and pulled the trigger. In truth, I'v wanted one since I got my drivers license. She ain't brand new, but she's brand new to me! I picked up this gorgeous 2015 Dodge Charger R/T this past week. I had previously only driven 4 cylinder cars as my main transportation. Fellas, let me tell ya, 5 minutes into the test drive and I was hooked. I was like, "Huh, so that's what having actual power under the hood sounds and feels like". It was quite a bit of money, (for me anyway) but I wanted it. I know we have a fair share of Dodge haters here, but for me it's Mopar or no car. Always has been. Raised that way. I'm already looking into changing a few things on her. šŸ˜‚ šŸ¤Ŗ I'd really love to get some professionally done 2 stripe racing pattern across the entirety of the body, I really think a slick set of blacked out rims would look excellent on it, with the tinted windows and black grill. Maybe down the road get a flowmaster exhaust or something similar installed. She's plenty loud, but I want her louder. LOL

Just tickled pink to see her sitting in my driveway boys. (plz ignore the poor photo quality and snapchat filters. Haven't taken too many pics yet)

View attachment 66285
Congrats!

CarolinaReaper

Also, to my dodge guys, is it possible to just have this particular section replaced, or would that require a whole front bumper swap?

IMG_2059.JPG

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@CarolinaReaper, not to go back several pages to quote, I'll just share a bit of info here, although I'm sure with the timing it6a moot point now. Gas. Stations normally have two types in the ground. Regular and premium. Mid grade is only a mix of the two. If you can see the pumps fuel meter (not the one you look at while pumping), you can tell which tank the fuel is coming from as they have two mechanical meters on each pump. One for each in ground tank. When running mid grade, both meters roll...

On a side note, even though I'm not fond of the Chargers, we do like the Challengers......20170703_102226.jpg

CarolinaReaper

@CarolinaReaper, not to go back several pages to quote, I'll just share a bit of info here, although I'm sure with the timing it6a moot point now. Gas. Stations normally have two types in the ground. Regular and premium. Mid grade is only a mix of the two. If you can see the pumps fuel meter (not the one you look at while pumping), you can tell which tank the fuel is coming from as they have two mechanical meters on each pump. One for each in ground tank. When running mid grade, both meters roll...

On a side note, even though I'm not fond of the Chargers, we do like the Challengers......View attachment 67761

Sweet ride man. I would have gotten a challenger, but all the ones I found locally were either a V6 or had tons more miles.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So just a quick update fellas for any of you who may care.

The "ticking" noise is still present and audible. I have now had THREE different auto shops look at her and tell me that that noise wasn't indicative of anything a miss in the engine that will hurt it. They all just keep telling it's a normal hemi noise and to just drive on. Yeah, well, Okay I guess. Just gonna have to get over it I suppose. I got the exhaust straight piped last week. Absolutely LOVE the way it sounds. Took her in today for a full synthetic oil change. I had noticed a slight rubbing noise coming from my front right tire. They ended up having to do a front end alignment because I basically had one tire going one direction and another going a different way. Which added up, because the side that was messed up was where the rubbing noise was coming from. They printed me out a chart and a picture to show me just how bad it was. It didn't look good. One tire was showing a decent amount of wear vs the others. So had that taken care of. Shes still running very well, but I just can't get over that damn ticking racket, but I guess there ain't much I can do, other than to have someone tear the motor apart and spend a couple thousand dollars, which I ain't gonna do. I had hoped the oil change may have helped lubricate the cams a little better, but so far the noise is the same.

Also, my exhaust had 2 very tiny holes around one of the clamps, The muffler shop pointed that out to and let me actually hear where air was leaking out. So I had them weld it and throw those cheap clamps away.

as far as the exhaust is concerned, the clamps arenā€™t always bad. Most of the time they can be tightened or replaced. Welds are hard to change without cutting and more welding. Just a thought out there for ya.

I put on a new set of headers that had a couple pinholes from the factory.....they are still there due to the factory wanting them sent back for proof and headers are just not something you feel like taking off.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
as far as the exhaust is concerned, the clamps arenā€™t always bad. Most of the time they can be tightened or replaced. Welds are hard to change without cutting and more welding. Just a thought out there for ya.

I put on a new set of headers that had a couple pinholes from the factory.....they are still there due to the factory wanting them sent back for proof and headers are just not something you feel like taking off.
I think QC on most of the header companies have gone to crap. I have welded a bunch of them for folks for reasons just like you. It was easier to get someone to fix them (if you could get to the spot to TIG them) than it would be to take them off send them back and get another set and put on and risk having a hole in them.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Every charger with a 5.7 Iā€™ve had would tick while idling and Iā€™ve driven the ever loving crap out of them to put it mildly. Never had any engine trouble but have worn out the front suspension on two different ones a 2013 and a 2016.

CarolinaReaper

Every charger with a 5.7 Iā€™ve had would tick while idling and Iā€™ve driven the ever loving crap out of them to put it mildly. Never had any engine trouble but have worn out the front suspension on two different ones a 2013 and a 2016.

I reckon itā€™s just something Iā€™ll have to get over. Hell I done bought it lol. Iv and 3 places, one of which being the dealership tell me it was fine. But they also apparently let me drive off the lot with my alignment off pretty bad... so.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sweet ride man. I would have gotten a challenger, but all the ones I found locally were either a V6 or had tons more miles.

I know what you mean, but there are some out there. They're demanding big bucks if the mileage is relatively low. There are a couple of different dealers always trying to get this one but I don't think it'll be going anywhere soon. It's an 08, limited edition SRT with the 6.1 Hemi. I think the mileage is just a tick over 6k and has not been rained on since new......

CarolinaReaper

Glad to see you posting. Was starting to worry you've been in a ditch somewhere the last week or so!

Well, if Iā€™m being honest. Started Seeing a new girl about late April. That has pretty much consumed most of my free time outside of work right now. šŸ˜‚

Funny how I care a lot less about the political shtick going on.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Well, the dealership service department had my car for about an hour and a half. They pulled it around and called me up front. I walk up and ask the guy, in a joking manner, "So, is she a ticking time bomb?" He laughs a little and says I have nothing to worry about, that the noise was normal engine noise for those engines and the techs couldn't hear or find anything wrong. So either I'm a total idiot or that service tech didn't wanna fix anything. Who knows. I guess I'll just have to get used to hearing it while driving around.
I can't hear it for you but there are a fair few cars that tick. Drive it in good health, get the oil changed on time, pay attention to the service intervals in the manual. No experience personally with the mopars but I can verify I've heard it with a couple others.