Made a BIG BOY purchase fellas!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Here's the 10 year old gal on trade in day with 163k miles.

View attachment 66290
Nice. That dealer was at one time very good. They are now the hardest dealer I have run across to deal with.
They stopped taking the Mopar package oil changes and also the mopar coupons for service, parts or discounts.
Not sure how...

Went to get my last oil change they wanted 150$ for a sinking oil change. They have been about 55$ to 60$ with the Mopar package.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
CAI's, Worth the money for sound and performance?
I say just keep your money in your pocket for now. Spend nothing other than what is needed to keep it on the road...
Run it and put miles on it. Then after you know it is solid and you are still in love with it and still wacking off in the front seat then put money into the bitch!

But hold on tight for several months.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice. That dealer was at one time very good. They are now the hardest dealer I have run across to deal with.
They stopped taking the Mopar package oil changes and also the mopar coupons for service, parts or discounts.
Not sure how...

Went to get my last oil change they wanted 150$ for a sinking oil change. They have been about 55$ to 60$ with the Mopar package.

Yeah I wasn't very happy my last trip up there either. Thought I'd finally found a good one but....

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations @CarolinaReaper . that's a big step. Keep at it, and the next "Big boy" thread title will be about your own home! Looking forward to reading that one.

It's refreshing reading your positive posts. You used to post as a bitter young man. I'm glad things are looking up for you.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Diagnosing engine sounds with a video is like a deaf person playing Marco Polo.

You said it had 80k and it’s a 2 owner sports car so it likely has some hot rodding; It could be dirty oil/sludge around lifters, incorrect oil or filter, even a frayed serpentine belt or idler pulley. Little known is some vehicles fuel injectors make a tick when firing.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want people to hear it you will have to change the settings on that vid

Sounds like hemi tick. As said above could be injectors, they are loud on these motors. That's why the big engine cover I asked about earlier. Any idea when the oil was changed and what was used? I ran Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 synthetic filter for over 100,000 miles with no tick. I'd give it a try if you're due a change.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Lol. These things fascinate me. I’ve owned 3 four cylinder Subaru outback’s. And the only other thing I’ve driven a lot is an ‘87 half ton Toyota truck.
One day ima be a big boy and drive something with more than 200hp.
maybe a Subaru WRX:LOL:

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Best of luck with that Dodge ! My two brothers and are have mostly been Mopar people.
Oldest a plum crazy '70 roadrunner , 383 cu.in. , he could only afford the $4200 new.
Other bro has a 2016 blue Charger Daytona, 2019 blue Hemi-Ram and a blue Harley D.
Me, i'm still running my V-8 '97 Dakota currently (22years), pretty satisfied with it's performance parts.
I was looking at the new Durango r/t last year but couldn't justify the $$$ when the Dak only costing me gas money.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
you’ll give up your outback if you try one...😜
When I have a reason to have a “drivin around” car up here, I’ll have a WRX.
With my mix of gravel and secondary roads, there’s no way i can get a ticket with it while
Simultaneously trying to burn the block out.
I live in pitchy country. I need a light, sticky, torquey car that rarely sees 5th gear.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
With my mix of gravel and secondary roads, there’s no way i can get a ticket with it while
I live in pitchy country. I need a light, sticky, torquey car that rarely sees 5th gear.
Fun fact. Of literally all car models, a person who owns a WRX has more speeding tix than ANY other car model.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor

Sounds like what the wrx was built for. A not so new, but not ragged out gen 1 or 2 would fit that bill perfectly. Plenty fast and not something you’d worry about throwing gravel under. A nice parking lot on a wet day or a fresh dusting of snow is about as much fun as you can have too. I enjoy mine immensely.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I would like a WRX , It would be fun, but settled for the Outback ,( 2nd car ).
Have you seen the 2022 outback Wilderness model?
They fixed the low gear torque problems and raised the approach and exit angle and ground clearance. Also added towing capacity. It’s a sexy trim. I might get one as a personal with the turbo 4 in 2 years and sell my outback to my company to get wrapped as a service/estimating van.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like what the wrx was built for. A not so new, but not ragged out gen 1 or 2 would fit that bill perfectly. Plenty fast and not something you’d worry about throwing gravel under. A nice parking lot on a wet day or a fresh dusting of snow is about as much fun as you can have too. I enjoy mine immensely.
Mine is more....

I ride a lot of gravel and paved mountain roads at night/early morning where I’m in very controlled traffic situations
So I can really tease out what they were meant to do. I’d love to find a cherry wrx with 60k miles and a bit of body damage from phoenix. No salt damage and all highway miles.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Mine is more....

I ride a lot of gravel and paved mountain roads at night/early morning where I’m in very controlled traffic situations
So I can really tease out what they were meant to do. I’d love to find a cherry wrx with 60k miles and a bit of body damage from phoenix. No salt damage and all highway miles.
Then you’d see images of game stuffed into a WRX instead of an Outback.
This was just the latest to ride home on AWD
0AA86237-8B43-4585-B072-FD67CB87CF27.jpeg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So i changed the setting from private to public, will that fix the issue
Yep, can view it now. Sounds like valve train noise. For sure isn’t exhaust. But from the video it isn’t terrible with a vehicle with 80k on it. No I wouldn’t like it but I wouldn’t go chasing it trying to repair it because it wouldn’t exactly be cheap.

You mentioned CarMax if you bought it there don’t you have several day to take it back hassle free? If so I would consider that. If not even as good as it looks you don’t know exactly how well it has been maintained. If you keep it I would consider changing the oil and running a can of Marvel Mystery oil in it for 500 miles or so then changing oil again and see if it quiets down. I am not much for cures in a can but I have seen it work.

CarolinaReaper

Yep, can view it now. Sounds like valve train noise. For sure isn’t exhaust. But from the video it isn’t terrible with a vehicle with 80k on it. No I wouldn’t like it but I wouldn’t go chasing it trying to repair it because it wouldn’t exactly be cheap.

You mentioned CarMax if you bought it there don’t you have several day to take it back hassle free? If so I would consider that. If not even as good as it looks you don’t know exactly how well it has been maintained. If you keep it I would consider changing the oil and running a can of Marvel Mystery oil in it for 500 miles or so then changing oil again and see if it quiets down. I am not much for cures in a can but I have seen it work.

Thanks for the info. I bought her
From kernersville jeep Dodge Ram. Don’t know if they’ll take it back. I’d say not.

Honestly, don't wanna take her back. I like the car. But I am also concerned about driving around a ticking time bomb that will end up killing itself.

Last edited by a moderator: