Mackey’s Landing Firearms

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Bought a rifle there today. Did I pay a bit more (less than $100 more than other places) yep but I also haven’t been able to find what I wanted elsewhere. Every time I turned around someone was asking if I needed assistance. The place was packed. The willingness to help and friendliness was the same as the last time I bought from them (9 yrs ago I think). They will remain on my list of places to check before I by.

Reactions: TH7

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Bought a rifle there today. Did I pay a bit more (less than $100 more than other places) yep but I also haven’t been able to find what I wanted elsewhere. Every time I turned around someone was asking if I needed assistance. The place was packed. The willingness to help and friendliness was the same as the last time I bought from them (9 yrs ago I think). They will remain on my list of places to check before I by.

You must have looked like this:los-angeles-ca-june-24-2003-the-bishop-don-magic-juan-at-the-3rd-annual-bet-black-entertainmen...jpg

nchunter78

Six Pointer
I stopped by for the first time this summer on my way to the coast. They had 357 magnum and 10mm ammo on shelf and I got excited. Then I saw the cost LOL. I was willing to more than usual just to have some extra on hand but the prices were so I high that I preferred to leave empty handed. I guess that it why they had some on the shelf.

They did have a lot of firearms though. I am not as up to date on firearm prices anymore, so I really cannot comment on whether they were high or not.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

MUCH different experience than what I had. Congratulations on a positive transaction.
Personally, I doubt seriously that i.will.be back.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The reality is they have a following that never checks prices and just shops there because that's where they've always shopped and their daddy and grandaddy shopped. I'm similar to that description with Ed's Gun Shop but he has almost always been the lowest, same or within $20 of whatever I was buying and in the last 15 years of buying stuff I just go to Ed's and get it as long as they have it or can get it. Same thing is happening at Mackey's their customers just don't know any better or don't care.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I'm similar to that description with Ed's Gun Shop but he has almost always been the lowest, same or within $20 of whatever I was buying and in the last 15 years of buying stuff I just go to Ed's and get it as long as they have it or can get it.

Ed's is where the super majority of my shopping is done. Haven't compared prices in years, but don't feel like I need to. That's because Ed has been right at 82% of SRP when I did check. All others were higher. An example...A factory refurbished G26 in Lumberton area was about $100 higher than a new G26 at Ed's. Mid-South in Wagram is another to consider. Staff at Ed's has changed over the years. Carlos is the one I remember due to an easy to remember name I guess. Once he was getting ribbed for a 416 Rigby choice for Elk hunting in NM. Think I said just get close enough and the shock wave would knock it down. lol. He was a good natured guy. Anyone know if Carlos still works there? Still around?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ed's is where the super majority of my shopping is done. Haven't compared prices in years, but don't feel like I need to. That's because Ed has been right at 82% of SRP when I did check. All others were higher. An example...A factory refurbished G26 in Lumberton area was about $100 higher than a new G26 at Ed's. Mid-South in Wagram is another to consider. Staff at Ed's has changed over the years. Carlos is the one I remember due to an easy to remember name I guess. Once he was getting ribbed for a 416 Rigby choice for Elk hunting in NM. Think I said just get close enough and the shock wave would knock it down. lol. He was a good natured guy. Anyone know if Carlos still works there? Still around?
Carlos is no longer at Ed's

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
If i recall correctly, Carlos passed away

That's what I was concerned about. One day when Ed was leaving to prepare for a show, Ed told Carlos to "buy low, sell high". I told Carlos Ed got mixed up..."by high, sell low". He laughed, don't think he believed me. lol He seemed like a good guy. Assumed he was military but never knew for sure.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Had to update...wife has been looking for a shotgun for a month or two now. My benelli is a bit big (she’s 5’2 maybe,) my SKB 28 gauge is (ahem) MY nice gun and not for swamp hunting. We’ve been looking for the right youth/compact model, over under or semi, Preference for 20/16/12 In that order. Times being what they are, even BPS and Cabelas are slim pickings.

She ran her dog yesterday and did well in a new test system, and woke up Today and said, “let’s go find me a gun.” We would have, but, after our experience there, I’d sooner shop at Dicks. It was that bad.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Had to update...wife has been looking for a shotgun for a month or two now. My benelli is a bit big (she’s 5’2 maybe,) my SKB 28 gauge is (ahem) MY nice gun and not for swamp hunting. We’ve been looking for the right youth/compact model, over under or semi, Preference for 20/16/12 In that order. Times being what they are, even BPS and Cabelas are slim pickings.

She ran her dog yesterday and did well in a new test system, and woke up Today and said, “let’s go find me a gun.” We would have, but, after our experience there, I’d sooner shop at Dicks. It was that bad.

Break it down...what happened

la angler

Six Pointer
Just somewhere to look to kill time for me and be a tire kicker been many times but have never needed anything as bad as their prices are. Wouldn't bother me if they went out.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Break it down...what happened
Guy argued with us about what she wanted to look at, (how many times do I have to repeat SX4 compact,) tried to push her towards guns she wasn’t interested (not interested in the TristaR with bright red metal, not interested in an a synthetic stock...) asked if we were there to look or buy, said I was there to buy, he kept being difficult, finally I blew up and said “we were ready to buy one today but you’re treating us like a*holes, so we’ll leave.” Im not typically one to blow up. I’ve been on all sides of customer-seller transactions. I’ve been paid on commission to some degree most of my professional life. I don’t get bent out of shape based on price, and I understand that the customer is not always right. But this place was exceptional in its apparent resentment of their Potential clientele.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I almost thought about stopping in there on my way back from Nags Head last weekend. They didn't seem to have much business for it to be the middle of day and a Saturday.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
her and the pup did well!
She did, I was proud of her, and thank you.
Expensive, terrible attitudes, and the explains why I have not stopped their in years.
Their prices weren't awful, especially if one considers buying online, FFL fees, etc...A bit on the high side but they included sales tax.

But the attitudes...Go in enough gun stores and you'll find a certain level of grumpiness or gruffness or whatever, is somewhat common. Not a big deal. This place took the cake.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did a stop, look and see.
Exactly what I did
Stopped.
Looked.
Saw.
Not impressed at all.
Had cash in my pocket, but am not an idiot. Did not see anything at their prices that i couldn't do without.
And, was never greeted at all..the ones working either was enthused with their personal conversations or just gave a look with an obnoxious attitude. (For lack of any better explanation)

la angler

Six Pointer
Seems I recall everytime I have been in there the salesman was always glued to someone shopping with a female with them. Must be a sign of a better percentage of a sale

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve seen it mention that the store includes sales tax in the listed price, are people taking the tax in account when saying it’s overpriced?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have been there many times over the years. What else is there to do after work, when your out of town and staying in Plymouth? Never bought a firearm there until this year. I bought 2 one fairly priced, the other a heck of a deal. The second was the cheapest price for a specific firearm I had ever seen. Management is grumpy for sure. Try them early in the week, the owner is there later in the week and he is the worst.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Apparently not too many good choices over there on the OBX. I’ve heard the same stories for decades about them ....

So if you’re in the central part of the state, you owe it to yourself to go to Mid South Guns over in Wagram (near Laurinburg). Best selection of new and used guns imo you’ll find anywhere. The owner (Phillip) is very nice and they will deal with you on the price of a new or used gun and will also take trades. If you haven’t been, go sometime even if you’re just that “looker”.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Apparently not too many good choices over there on the OBX. I’ve heard the same stories for decades about them ....
There’s not a legitimate gun shop anywhere out here. Frisco Rod and Gun is about the closest thing to one. I haven’t been in there in a while but heard they don’t carry as much stuff as they use to.

There’s a guy a guy that runs one out of part of his house on Saturdays and there’s a Army Surplus in Kitty Hawk that sells a few guns. Neither of them actually know much about guns. One sells AR’s but doesn’t know what a 223 Wylde is, the other sells muzzleloaders and thinks Blackhorn 209 is reloading powder.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
There’s not a legitimate gun shop anywhere out here. Frisco Rod and Gun is about the closest thing to one. I haven’t been in there in a while but heard they don’t carry as much stuff as they use to.

There’s a guy a guy that runs one out of part of his house on Saturdays and there’s a Army Surplus in Kitty Hawk that sells a few guns. Neither of them actually know much about guns. One sells AR’s but doesn’t know what a 223 Wylde is, the other sells muzzleloaders and thinks Blackhorn 209 is reloading powder.

There's a new shop in Pungo at the junction of 99/45. The owner is retired military. Easiest people I've ever dealt with. Not a huge inventory, has a lot of consignment sales, but will order whatever you're looking for. It's called County Line Outdoors. Owner is Mike Paniagua.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
how did gun stores turn into this surly place to shop. I mean we are enthusiasts and by and large our consensus is most of us hate the process and more importantly the people who work there. weird for sure

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
There's a new shop in Pungo at the junction of 99/45. The owner is retired military. Easiest people I've ever dealt with. Not a huge inventory, has a lot of consignment sales, but will order whatever you're looking for. It's called County Line Outdoors. Owner is Mike Paniagua.
Yep. I’ve been in there a couple times. You can get lunch and a gun. That’s hard to beat.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor

I don’t know about fr&g but a lot of the mom and pop places don’t carry inventory Anymore because the sheer cost of it and two things. 1) They can’t get prices from a distributor like hicks the way some of the big outfits or large online retailers can and 2) because of 1 people come in to look, handle , try the guns then leave and go order it online to save $25 bucks.
I personally had rather give a local guy enough profit to stay in business for convenience than save that $25 bucks for the same reason I deal with local tackle shops when I want gear.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Nice folks, always check county line out when I'm waiting for my food from the grill👍