Machete attack on the Appalachian Trail

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
As LanceR said violent crime is rare on the trail and since most thru hikers also go through a few states that prohibit or restrict handgun carry, it makes it hard to comply with the laws and hike all the way.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
This is the same dude they were looking for up in Bursnville last month. He should have been dealt with WAY sooner.

And my wife always asked why I carry a pistol on the AT. Even when bow hunting.

Most are out there for the normal reasons, but there’s a few people out there walking like this guy cause they ain’t got nothing left to do in life.

Plus, I don’t trust a person who’s carrying a machete on whats arguably the most maintained trail system on the east coast....
Not much need for a blade...

Also, never trust a hiker with a mullet.
Country boy with mullet, yes. Hiker, no.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
When seconds matter the police and EMS are minutes away if you are in town somewhere. In any remote destination there may be an hour or more away and that's IF you even have a means to contact them. Plan for your own defense and travel being aware of your surroundings.

<>< Fish

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This case highlights - once again - that personal security is a personal responsibility. This nut-job was obviously in need of MH services and never did anything (prior to the murder) worthy of locking him up for any significant amount of time.

This case also highlights the importance of following through with criminal complaints if you are a victim. All those folks that didn't want to get involved were just enabling this guy to escalate his threatening behavior.

And lastly, this case also highlights the often overlooked reality that law enforcement does it's best work AFTER THE FACT!

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
One last comment and I'll leave this alone;

My hiking group has encountered sketchy folks before, but we always the advantage of safety in numbers (5-9 guys ... all or most LEO's) and we were ALL armed. In most of those cases, the nut-job chose to stay away from us!

We know there are (more times than not) precursors or pre-assault indicators to violence. In this case, the nut-job was demonstrating a pattern of conflict with many of the people he came in contact with, and the "word" about this guy had already made it's way into the communications network of people hiking the Trail.

As I stated in an earlier post, most of these folks are just a nuisance, but some of them pose a real threat. In all cases - whether you're armed or not - give sketchy folks a wide berth.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Glock 33 is a great trail gun.

If hiking through a state that doesn’t allow pistols, then get a shockwave.

I do feel sorry for the victims.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Dead men tell no tales or truths.
Carry on.

Right to life is above partisan politics.
The day his machete is “banned” in certain states along the trail, that’s when they can tell me I’m not gonna carry my 40...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
911 calls at 2:30 and 3:12,,,LEO shows at 6:00. Now granted,,,likely a hard area for LEO to get to,,but merely demonstrates the need for people to prepare to protect themselves,,,,the LEOs aren't manned to be everywhere all the time,,,and we wouldn't like that type of society anyhow,,,

I know, preaching to the choir,,

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...most thru hikers also go through a few states that prohibit or restrict handgun carry, it makes it hard to comply with the laws and hike all the way.
Not really, many thru hikers still do it segment at a time, returning home in between, then driving/riding back to the next starting point. If not going home they may have friends/family meet them for layovers. It would be easy to be a thru hiker and still carry in legal states with support from friends/family, which most thru hikers have.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I am headed to the AT tomorrow with scout troop. I would rather watch paint dry than go and walk under the canopy for three days. So much more fun stuff to do in NC than the AT. Extremely overrated and not at all looking forward it other than spending time with my son. Going because my son is really excited about this trip. I have offered him just about everything in place of going including float trip with guide in East Tenn, Offshore Fishing, Bush Gardens, Phelps Lake Bass Fishing etc. Walking for three days, primitive camping and no fresh water is not my idea of fun. It is different when I am out elk hunting or chasing bird dogs.
Things we do for our kids. Should I take 9mm or 38?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I am headed to the AT tomorrow with scout troop. I would rather watch paint dry than go and walk under the canopy for three days. So much more fun stuff to do in NC than the AT. Extremely overrated and not at all looking forward it other than spending time with my son. Going because my son is really excited about this trip. I have offered him just about everything in place of going including float trip with guide in East Tenn, Offshore Fishing, Bush Gardens, Phelps Lake Bass Fishing etc. Walking for three days, primitive camping and no fresh water is not my idea of fun. It is different when I am out elk hunting or chasing bird dogs.
Things we do for our kids. Should I take 9mm or 38?
Your description of the AT and my description of the AT are very different.

There’s fresh water everywhere if you know where to drink, and avoid the hollers with hogs.

The N.C. sections of the AT are some of the most amazing and intricate places in North America, and the southern Appalachians are one of the most ecologically biodiverse regions on the planet.

If I was your kid, I’d have picked that 3 days camping with dad in a place like this picture...

Give it a shot. I promise you even a short walk on the AT is more fun for an outdoorsman than a free pass to Busch Gardens for the day.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
But to answer your question...

Carry what you’ll be ready to use when you need it.

You’re defending yourself against humans.
The bears and hogs tend to keep to themselves.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I hope that you are right. My experiences on the AT have not been all that fun. If I wanted to walk for three days I could do that on my farm or on the beach. Rally can not see much through the mountain canopy. Yesterday there was a decent marlin bite and much rather be offshore trying to raise a billfish.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This case also highlights the importance of following through with criminal complaints if you are a victim. All those folks that didn't want to get involved were just enabling this guy to escalate his threatening behavior.
That is not necessarily true. I know from personal experience that pressing charges in the early events likely would not effect the events that happened later on the AT. If charges were pressed he still would of likely been released on bail a waiting trial. His lawyer would get a continuous and his actual trial could be months after he was initially arrested. He makes bail or gets released and he is back out in world. Nothing will happen till he misses his court appearance and then they issue a failure to appear warrant. He likely would of got back on the trail like he did and continue his crazyness. The wheels of justice turn painfully slow and the suggestion by some of the news reports and law enforcement that had initial witnesses delayed their departure from the area so they could hold this guy is not based on reality.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well this is just my 2 cents I was born raised and bleed Appalachian and to me the AT is just silly I love to hike spend many many days in mtns hunt fish camp walking but I don't want anything to do with trail that puts bunch people in same spot. I have so so many beautiful spots I can hike camp in where I don't have to worry about nut job with knife stabbing me in back. I can take people on absolute gorgeous walks where you won't see a soul and won't have worry about legal carry. Just never understood why people want to be herded on a trail when there are thousands miles walking to be had in piece and quiet. Now take into account I'm bit of loner never was much for lot people just increases chance of running into one them nutcases

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I hope that you are right. My experiences on the AT have not been all that fun. If I wanted to walk for three days I could do that on my farm or on the beach. Rally can not see much through the mountain canopy. Yesterday there was a decent marlin bite and much rather be offshore trying to raise a billfish.
I get it on the offshore itch this time of year. Waiting on the call for a dolphin coffin ride. Our Grady is sitting in Charleston waiting on a weather window....

Look at it this way, you get to be in the outdoors in May for 3 days in N.C. and prolly won’t see but like 3 mosquitos.

That’s an experience in itself..,

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Well this is just my 2 cents I was born raised and bleed Appalachian and to me the AT is just silly I love to hike spend many many days in mtns hunt fish camp walking but I don't want anything to do with trail that puts bunch people in same spot. I have so so many beautiful spots I can hike camp in where I don't have to worry about nut job with knife stabbing me in back. I can take people on absolute gorgeous walks where you won't see a soul and won't have worry about legal carry. Just never understood why people want to be herded on a trail when there are thousands miles walking to be had in piece and quiet. Now take into account I'm bit of loner never was much for lot people just increases chance of running into one them nutcases
I feel the same way about the amount of ppl up there, but the trail goes where it does for a reason. Ppl being there is the same reason I wouldn’t expect a private viewing of old faithful. Part of it.

I like how used to people the deer get during the summertime....;)

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I feel the same way about the amount of ppl up there, but the trail goes where it does for a reason. Ppl being there is the same reason I wouldn’t expect a private viewing of old faithful. Part of it.

I like how used to people the deer get during the summertime....;)

I’d love to hunt the section up in VA in Grayson Highlands. Between the balds, ponies and deer everywhere you could have a fun western style spot and stalk backpack hunt with great scenery and some unique scenarios (like ponies stampeding down the trail you are camped beside of). And the sunset, best sunset I have ever seen getting to watch the sun become an orange ball sinking across the flat horizon. Best part was when I went in mid-June the joker traffic was sporadic, so come hunting season and colder weather you’d have the place to yourself about.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting the first knife/machete/whatever he used to menace and threaten people in TN/NC was confiscated and he must have gotten another one between released from jail and the attack in Va.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I totally understand the allure of hiking the AT (if that's what you enjoy) but to do so in a helpless condition (unarmed) just makes no sense to me. We KNOW there are evil people that also hike the trail (as evidenced by the articles that people have posted) and we KNOW that LEO help is not just minutes away but HOURS away is utterly ridiculous.
If/when it comes to being totally legal (unarmed) versus being armed and able to protect myself and my partners from harm I'll throw myself on the mercy of a jury of my peers. "Tried by 12 or carried by 6..... your choice.... I know mine....