Machete attack on the Appalachian Trail

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
WYTHE COUNTY, Va. – Multiple agencies are investigating reports that a man with a machete attacked hikers on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia, according to a local sheriff's office.

https://myfox8.com/2019/05/12/man-w...-attacking-2-hikers-on-the-appalachian-trail/

https://www.wjhl.com/local/1-dead-another-injured-after-appalachian-trail-assault/1997583055

Last month, Jordan was charged with threatening people on the AT in Unicoi County.

Jordan was accused of threatening other hikers on the trail with an axe, according to police, and was sentenced in Unicoi County Sessions Court.

Jordon, 30, of Massachusetts, received probation and ordered to pay fines following his hearing.

He previously threatened hikers in Madison County and Unicoi Co TN and was arrested but released with probation.

https://www.wjhl.com/local/unicoi-c...y3TxiVLcdiAFcLe2zqQEGom-JnS0JGtEDcCt8Esrhg6tU

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I personally don’t feel sorry for the hikers. The world is full of zombies and this zombie took advantage of the situation knowing full well that chances were slim that anyone would be armed. I bet his sorry ass wouldn’t have come charging out of the woods swinging an axe at a group of deer hunters in November. You can either behave like a predator or behave like the prey. It’s called reality and there is no middle ground.

Seems like they had him and then let him go. Once again this is a reminder that it is not the government’s job to protect you but to enforce the law and they did what they had to do. Convict, sentence, and in this case, let him go. Your safety is your responsibility.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I carry a gun every time I go in the woods, including AT, and other public trails.
It use to be illegal to carry on AT. Not sure if that rule changed. I use to hunt an area where the trail went through and it was a pain to cross over it while armed. Rules may of changed and it probably varies from state to state but I bet a thru hiker can't legally carry the whole way.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The AT crosses the Nantahala and Pisgah game lands and outside of hunting season you could only carry certain .22 LR/.22 L/.22 SH handguns.

Thank goodness that changed a few years ago.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thankfully, this sort of thing is an aberration on the AT. But unfortunately, the ever increasing number of homeless folks has led some of them to adopt a quasi-hiker lifestyle by semi-permanently hanging out on the Trail at the Shelters and other campsites. Most of them are just a nuisance - a few of them are dangerous.

Anywhere you happen to be can potentially be safe ..... right up until the very moment it isn't.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
They are saying he got on the trail and started harassing/threatening people in Hot Springs

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Seems like every few years since forever some psycho is attacking/killing people on the AT.

Mike

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I personally don’t feel sorry for the hikers. The world is full of zombies and this zombie took advantage of the situation knowing full well that chances were slim that anyone would be armed. I bet his sorry ass wouldn’t have come charging out of the woods swinging an axe at a group of deer hunters in November. You can either behave like a predator or behave like the prey. It’s called reality and there is no middle ground.

Seems like they had him and then let him go. Once again this is a reminder that it is not the government’s job to protect you but to enforce the law and they did what they had to do. Convict, sentence, and in this case, let him go. Your safety is your responsibility.

I agree we live it a predator world. But I don't think we can be full arms all the time. My wife is a CC that jogs everyday but doesn't carry while out jogging. I think we all have times we are vulnerable for an attack. I carry and am on guard with my surroundings most of the time, but I am not allowed to carry at work or even have in my vehicle. So I am vulnerable from the time I leave work to I get home.

It is unfair not to feel sorry for victims of of crimes just because we feel that should been able to protect themselves. Sometimes it just happens. Even those that carry can be attacked and killed.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns

Bad things can happen regardless of how “prepared” you may be. Kind of an ass sentiment, honestly.

Tell us, what do you know of how prepared these folks were? Details, please.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It use to be illegal to carry on AT. Not sure if that rule changed. I use to hunt an area where the trail went through and it was a pain to cross over it while armed. Rules may of changed and it probably varies from state to state but I bet a thru hiker can't legally carry the whole way.
I have day hiked parts of the AT in NC, VA, and PA, and legally carried a gun each time.

Lee

Six Pointer
I am usually unarmed when I hike long distances; I only carry a 38 Special or 380 versus my usual.

That said this is a study in failures on many levels.

Edit: Poor attempt at humor. I am always armed. I consider a 38 Special or 380 almost unarmed.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am usually unarmed when I hike long distances; I only carry a 38 Special or 380 versus my usual.

That said this is a study in failures on many levels.
I used to be unarmed other than in municipalities that don't allow it two places, church and in the shower. In light of things that have transpired over the past few years now one. And my firearms don't really need soap and water to be cleaned anyway. Other places that don't allow being armed I don't frequent often luckily.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
The AT crosses the Nantahala and Pisgah game lands and outside of hunting season you could only carry certain .22 LR/.22 L/.22 SH handguns.

Thank goodness that changed a few years ago.
I was told by the game ward that when the stand your ground law was passed in N.C you could carry anything you wanted to at any time.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
Reading this has got me thinking. The only place I haven't been armed is the court house. Shower? Yes, its under my towel on the sink. Church? Absolutely, and I find comfort knowing my preacher is packing during the service, as is most of the males there. I always carried on the AT, even through the GSMNP which has always been prohibited. Just finished texting an LEO friend in Wythe County and said maybe I needed to get back on the trail. He said to be well armed!

double

Twelve Pointer

Legal or not I would much rather explain why I had a gun than be getting treated for a machete wound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Guns are legal in national parks now
Not in states that don't allow conceal carry. You have to comply with the state law to carry in NP. A number of states on trail don't allow. So a thru hiker would not be able to legally carry. I would say the amount of crimes in NP seem to be in the rise. There are some parks i won't go to because of the risk

Reactions: CRC

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Legal or not I would much rather explain why I had a gun than be getting treated for a machete wound

Eggzactly, I am not saying that I do or I don't take mine out every store I walk in that has a no CCP sign posted, matter of fact I don't look real close unless they have metal detectors at the door.

double

Twelve Pointer
Eggzactly, I am not saying that I do or I don't take mine out every store I walk in that has a no CCP sign posted, matter of fact I don't look real close unless they have metal detectors at the door.

I go by the saying our of sight out of mind. At the moment you know I have my gun we are both gonna need it and you are gonna be glad I have it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And if they have metal detectors and I happen to not be able to pass their restrictions of entrance I probably have no reason to be there or already knew that I shouldn't be carrying in that particular place anyway. Concealed means concealed.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Seems like every few years since forever some psycho is attacking/killing people on the AT.

Mike

There have only been a handful of murders along the AT in all the years it has been in existence. They get a lot of publicity but when you consider the nearly 2200 mile length through 14 states and the millions of folks on the trail in any given year the violent crime rate is remarkably low. In fact, it's a tiny fraction of the violent crime rate in the population at large.

I will note that if more of the folks who had earlier encounters with him had all pressed charges that he would most likely have been held for psychiatric evaluation before now.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I often carry a pistol in easy reach while hiking but along the AT it's illegal to carry at all in the two national parks (Great Smokey Mountain and Shenandoah). It's also illegal for a NC concealed carry handgun permittee to carry concealed in several of the 14 states the AT traverses. If memory serves, it is illegal even to posses a handgun in at least NJ(?), NY, CT and MA without a permit issued by that state. And it's illegal to posses or carry in in many of the state, county and city parks the trail passes through.

We have done a considerable amount of hiking already this year and we'll be section hiking parts of the AT this year too. P239 in .40 S&W will be along for the trip as part of my 'base weight". We're leaving for Appalachian Trail Days in Damascus, VA in the morning and I'm sure we'll hear a lot of conversations about these events.

Lance

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
There have only been a handful of murders along the AT in all the years it has been in existence. They get a lot of publicity but when you consider the nearly 2200 mile length through 14 states and the millions of folks on the trail in any given year the violent crime rate is remarkably low. In fact, it's a tiny fraction of the violent crime rate in the population at large.

I will note that if more of the folks who had earlier encounters with him had all pressed charges that he would most likely have been held for psychiatric evaluation before now.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I often carry a pistol in easy reach while hiking but along the AT it's illegal to carry at all in the two national parks (Great Smokey Mountain and Shenandoah). It's also illegal for a NC concealed carry handgun permittee to carry concealed in several of the 14 states the AT traverses. If memory serves, it is illegal even to posses a handgun in at least NJ(?), NY, CT and MA without a permit issued by that state. And it's illegal to posses or carry in in many of the state, county and city parks the trail passes through.

We have done a considerable amount of hiking already this year and we'll be section hiking parts of the AT this year too. P239 in .40 S&W will be along for the trip as part of my 'base weight". We're leaving for Appalachian Trail Days in Damascus, VA in the morning and I'm sure we'll hear a lot of conversations about these events.

Lance

You may want to brush up on the legalities of carrying in GSMNP. Perfectly legal to carry so long as you're doing it in compliance with the law.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm