Lyme Disease

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I'm on antibiotics now for a tick that latched onto my back on my first ever turkey hunt on Thursday, April 25. I sprayed everything with permethrin, except the shirt I wore under my Army surplus jacket because I ran out of permethrin spraying everything else and didn't have time to get more.

Tried to get it off myself with tweezers, but couldn't reach it. Finally went to a clinic on Sunday, April 29. I know, don't wait that long. A PA took it off and put me on doxycyclone. She said they were probably being overzealous with the antibiotics, but I'd rather have that than risk getting Lyme disease even more than I already did waiting.

But my favorite part of that experience was when they asked me what I'd been doing that I'd been around ticks. "Camping?"

"No. Hunting."

Turned out the nurse and her husband are deer hunters. :D

You knowingly left a tick attached for four days? No thanks...

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My bout with rmsf brought on shingles. Nearly 2 years later and (if I'm lucky) 8 hours of sleep still isn't enough. To add, my body clock rips me out of rem 5-6 hours after going to sleep. So many years of that, and I still can't change it. Sometimes I'm able to fall back asleep, most times I'm not. I just function like a zombie with pulse for a few hours. One tick bite and I have to wake up two hours before being anywhere. Before that, I could go to sleep at 12 am, roll out of bed at 5:30, and be on the road by 5:35... Not anymore.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have had Lyme Disease 3 times and RMSF at least once.....Last time I caught Lyme disease it was about 4 years ago on the Rocky river Portaging a Dam. Doctor called me week or so after he ran the test and told me I had Lyme Disease again. and I showed antibodies for RMSF and he asked me when I had that and I said I had no clue. He said well you have had it.
Anyway Lyme disease aint nothing to fool with .......if you dont treat it eventually it will be not treatable ...

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I often mix a 2 liter drink bottle full to keep a smaller spray bottle supplied. I'm Then get a 20 oz. drink bottle. Measure out 1 oz. of permithrin and pour in the drink bottle. Then fill the drink bottle with tap water and shake.

Horrible advice. Do you know how many folks accidentally consume pesticides because of actions like this?

Yeah yeah I’m sure you keep it somewhere safe and no one can get to it but you and you know what’s in it.

That’s what they all say when you talk to them after someone ingested their mixture...the crazy part is sometimes it’s them accidentally drinking their own mixtures.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's just me and my wife, label is removed and bottle is marked as to what it is used for. Mixture is white and kept in a storage closet. It wasn't a recommendation, it's just what I do. Hopefully folks with young kids have since enough to take proper precautions. I don't STORE it in the 20 oz bottle. I just use it for mixing. That bottle is also labeled for what it's used for.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Be sure and check for ticks after you come home from the woods. I got Lyme Disease from one yesterday while mowing around hunting cabin.
I have had lyme disease and or rocky mtn spotted fever. I waited so long that the blood tests could not conclusively show which.
Lyme disease takes a 2 week incubation period. Sometimes the symptoms dont show up for a month in some people. Spent a week long vacation at Hilton Head taking doxycycline and feeling like crap.
Doctor that treated me said the symptoms can come and go the rest of my life since I did not get treated right away for either.
Never knew I had it til it was too late.
My dad always said if you gonna be stupid you better be tough.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been steadily feeling crappier and crappier over the last 3 days......found tick in the private area 2 weeks ago......fever, chills, body aches, joints aching, no energy......went and got some antibiotics this morning....she said it was early stage Lyme disease.....I feel rough.....even cancelled trip to Kerr lake today-Saturday.....just ain’t got energy to sit in sun all day.....ain’t been in the woods since turkey season and not a tick the whole season......walk through yard and pick one up

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been steadily feeling crappier and crappier over the last 3 days......found tick in the private area 2 weeks ago......fever, chills, body aches, joints aching, no energy......went and got some antibiotics this morning....she said it was early stage Lyme disease.....I feel rough.....even cancelled trip to Kerr lake today-Saturday.....just ain’t got energy to sit in sun all day.....ain’t been in the woods since turkey season and not a tick the whole season......walk through yard and pick one up
If you read ALL the stuff on the meds you aren't supposed to be in the sun taking them. And there is a damn good reason. You will fry. I know I was on them for almost a year and I don't normally burn at all.

Good luck.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry to hear this, ticks are especially bad at my house this year and I have free ranging chickens that are supposed to keep up with them. Chiggers are also something that I've never had problems with in my yard and this year I get them regularly.
Watch the sun exposure with antibiotics, you can get a severe burn that will cause you much more pain and other problems.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have had lyme disease and or rocky mtn spotted fever. I waited so long that the blood tests could not conclusively show which.
Lyme disease takes a 2 week incubation period. Sometimes the symptoms dont show up for a month in some people. Spent a week long vacation at Hilton Head taking doxycycline and feeling like crap.
Doctor that treated me said the symptoms can come and go the rest of my life since I did not get treated right away for either.
Never knew I had it til it was too late.
My dad always said if you gonna be stupid you better be tough.
your dad was a smart man but being tough when it comes to these things isn't the way to play.
I have had a horrible season for them finding me and I do a ton of preventive stuff.
and Scotty good luck and like you the dang yard ticks busting me more than the woods variety.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I had a tick scare, and the more i think about it the funnier it became due to my fear. After my trip up north where i did pull off a few ticks, several days later taking a shower and look down by my feet and there it was, dang dang dang a tick. Well upon further investigation and looking back the past day i had eaten a bagel with an abundance of Flax seeds. Flax seeds don't digest well, flax seeds look like ticks

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I had a tick scare, and the more i think about it the funnier it became due to my fear. After my trip up north where i did pull off a few ticks, several days later taking a shower and look down by my feet and there it was, dang dang dang a tick. Well upon further investigation and looking back the past day i had eaten a bagel with an abundance of Flax seeds. Flax seeds don't digest well, flax seeds look like ticks
Sounds like you crap on yourself in the shower? ??

bigblue

Eight Pointer
I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever a few years back and never did find a tick or tick bite. Worst sickness I’ve ever had...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever a few years back and never did find a tick or tick bite. Worst sickness I’ve ever had...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard they just need to walk across your body to transmit it.........

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard they just need to walk across your body to transmit it.........

Have heard that also, but not sure. I do know that if we find one on us at work, even unattached, we have to note it just in case. And if possible secure the tick in a ziplock bag or other suitable container.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I got RMSF 2 years ago. For 6-8 months, I was ALWAYS tired. If I blinked too long I'd wake up 3 hours later... still tired. Didn't want to do anything. Didn't care to do anything. I felt like a zombie. I wasn't depressed, I just didn't have the energy. I had to make myself do stuff just so I could muster up the false motivation to continue to do it.

Red meat was out the door for months... Close to a year. Anytime I ate any red meat, my heart would race, I'd get nauseous, dizzy, and disoriented. That's not the case now but, it did encourage me to experiment with my food. I now have an expanded expertise. Lol. I can't complain about that.

Tick diseases suck... Just don't fall too far into the tired hole. My wife did a good job of bossing me around during that stage. If not for her, I probably would have slept my life away.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got Lyme last hunting season. I felt like crap for a month or so but finally kicked it. It's a weird disease and attacked everyone differently. Some people it hits the whole body while others it will park in an organ or one part and be tough to eradicate. A family member had to do a special diet along with long term antibiotics to finally kick it.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
KTman had a nasty bought of RMSF and got the Alpha Gal allergy along with it. Nasty Nasty bug!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got RMSF 2 years ago. For 6-8 months, I was ALWAYS tired. If I blinked too long I'd wake up 3 hours later... still tired. Didn't want to do anything. Didn't care to do anything. I felt like a zombie. I wasn't depressed, I just didn't have the energy. I had to make myself do stuff just so I could muster up the false motivation to continue to do it.

Red meat was out the door for months... Close to a year. Anytime I ate any red meat, my heart would race, I'd get nauseous, dizzy, and disoriented. That's not the case now but, it did encourage me to experiment with my food. I now have an expanded expertise. Lol. I can't complain about that.

Tick diseases suck... Just don't fall too far into the tired hole. My wife did a good job of bossing me around during that stage. If not for her, I probably would have slept my life away.

I have read your responses to this. This sounds exactly like my own experience. I was tested positive with blood work in 2013. Right now it is 6 years after almost to the day and I still have the same issues you have listed like sleep problems and body aches/fatigue that just never seems to go away.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just an add on to this Lyme discussion, I had a patient recently( last week) present with a bright red "rash" on hi upper thigh that didn't have pustules, wasn't raised, no typical "bulls-eye" tell-tale sign of an infected bite, just the bright red rash that was itchy and somewhat hot to the touch. He tested positive for Lyme disease and was put on Doxy quickly.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Glad you're at the Dr's office, that's the best place you could be in that situation.

He was recommending a topical cream for a bug bite. I’ve seen welps, bites, and stings. I know the Drs know much more than google, but it looks exactly like what you see when you search for the Lyme bullseye rash. I had them draw blood.