LW sticks/lock-on users - Questions

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought this system, late in the season. It’s taken me a little while to get everything ready. Now, I have a couple questions about logistics.

How many trips up does it take you? My plan is ONE, with 4 sticks. I’ve got my haul line wrapped around the base, with some bungee at the end. I’ll just hook my bow to that, prior to starting up.

What do you attach the line for your pack to?

How do you keep it from tangling with your haul line?

How do you stow your pack, once you’re at height?

Do you carry the stand straps up with you.....or pull the pack up and retrieve them from the pack?

Thanks. Probably do this for the first time, tomorrow.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
-One trip
-Pack line is attached to my harness
-I don't pull my pack until the stand is hung. I usually hang the pack on a screw in hanger or strap style hanger
-Yes, the straps are loose but attached to the stand as I pull it up

jakeller27

Four Pointer
One trip for me. I wear my stand on my back on the way up and leave my straps on it when it is set up. I use a strap hook kind of thing for my pack once I’m up the tree. I use a Summit retractable haul line to pull up both my bow and pack together. I have accidentally knocked arrows out of my quiver doing this though. I’ve done two trips to get my pack a few times and it really didn’t seem to take a ton of extra time.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks guys.

I’m assuming everyone is attached via a lineman’s rope. Forgot to mention that.

It’s one of the big reasons I don’t want to make extra trips.

I see some guys using a lifeline (once up). I’m not against that, but the rope seems like extra weight.

My plan for next year is to put up $50 steps and leave my strap (with hook) in several trees. A lock on setup without leaving my stand there each time. On those, I’ll leave my bow hanger and lifelines there all season.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I do much the same but two trips technically. I set the first step on the ground and then set the second step without a lineman’s rope. I’m 4 feet off the ground - risk is minimal. Then pretty much do the same as everyone else- it’s just easier for me it I get the first two up first, then make my final trip up with last two sticks and stand. I tie an extra loop in my bow rope and clip my bag to that using a carabiner. Once I am up and clipped in, i pull up my bag and bow on the same rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakeller27

Four Pointer
I have messed around with the ez hang hook in the yard but not actually out in the woods yet. I’m going to give that a try next. It sounds like you might intend to do that and have a few spots setup all the time. I’ve only used a lifeline setup on permanent stands. I just use a lineman’s rope on the way up then use a safety tree strap that came with my harness once I’m up there. I don’t feel great about using the lineman’s rope to act as my safety strap too just because I’d have to disconnect from the tree to do that on the way into the stand.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
-One trip
-Pack line is attached to my harness
-I don't pull my pack until the stand is hung. I usually hang the pack on a screw in hanger or strap style hanger
-Yes, the straps are loose but attached to the stand as I pull it up

This....had it down to a science when I lived and hunted in MN on public

slickheadslayer

Six Pointer
One trip,

Steps hanging from my harness on way up, one rope from my harness to stand, and one rope from stand to bow.

Get up, pull up stand and secure it, climb in stand, then pull up bow.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One trip,

Steps hanging from my harness on way up, one rope from my harness to stand, and one rope from stand to bow.

Get up, pull up stand and secure it, climb in stand, then pull up bow.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

What’s your pack attached to?

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
My plan for next year is to put up $50 steps and leave my strap (with hook) in several trees. A lock on setup without leaving my stand there each time. On those, I’ll leave my bow hanger and lifelines there all season.

If you are going this route I would not leave the lowest step and would just carry one stick in depending on the area.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are going this route I would not leave the lowest step and would just carry one stick in depending on the area.

I’m going to use a 20’ step setup.

I’m not leaving a stand in the woods, either.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
You can tie your bow, pull it up, and use a small rubber coated grappling hook to grab your pack from the ground if you don’t want to tie it all