Lunch with a mentor/BIG beaver dam

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Arby’s parking lot looked like a trappers rendezvous this morning in Morganton. Well that’s an exaggeration...it was just me and @41magnum but I can pretend. Got the knife and beam and board (thanks @Prune ) and a buncha stuff from John. Finally got myself a 3 in one trapping hammer. Makes more sense than carrying a framing hammer, something to bust dirt up, a shovel to scoop it, and a hand auger to make dirt holes. It was nice to sit and talk with him and Joy today. I came to NC and this forum with no friends and no outdoor skills. Thanks to y’all and several others...I practically have a second family and the best mentors a fella could ask for. And I know they don’t lie to me...Bc I take their suggestions and I harvest game/fur/fish! Also I hope he doesn’t get me for copyright infringement but I’m gonna post this pic of John next to this beaver dam out at the farm. I’ve seen a lot of dams since I moved here but this ones a bruiser. Thanks for the pic John please don’t sue me 77983BF2-A7D5-46DF-9983-6CC09A3D3D88.jpeg

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
It sure was great to see Chris and chat awhile before ripping back east.

Well, Woodbreath, I layed steel yesterday afternoon and had a 40 pounder waiting AFTER I got home from the Arby's Trappers Rendezvous
Took the chain saw and cut a 3 ft wide 2 ft deep hole in the dam, to get a head start for MORE chopping tomorrow after church.
Whoevers left living in their lodge will go into EMERGENCY DAM REPAIR mode, especially before the 2" rain expected.

IF I can KEEP that hole open by the time the rain arrives, there is a 80% chance it'll BLOW that dam out with the surge of rain/water.
THEN, there is about a 65% chance they will relocate on their own.

IF that DONT WORK, more steel gets laid...AFTER they repair the dam and stabilize water level.

We have a 5 acre pond in a terrible spot, backing up into a crop field.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I might could slip up there one afternoon this week - I can knock a pretty good hole in one,,,,I can hold my own with a pickax, rake, and pry bar,,,,course I ain't as good as I once ones,,,and not sure if I'm as good once I as I ever was!!!

and depending on where it's at in relation to houses,,,I have some stuff that can help "push" ;);)

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
had to stop the chain saw dam break up at 5 ft wide and 2 ft deep and it was ROARING out....hoping tonights rain will finish like it has for me on other properties.
John, I may take you up on that offer but it'll be a week or so
Probably will need to finish trapping them out first.
Thank you sir, i'll let you know.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
you all are thinking wrong,,,,,hmx (whether in det cord or other application) tends to cut versus push...(plus it costs too much for play)

for a effort like that you need "push",,,more than cutting

that's about all I'll say on that subject in public,,,,,,,