Luke Kuechly

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
If I was Cincinnati, I would do anything to sucker a team like Carolina into a trade that would get a bunch of future #1 picks and their best players. While everyone is going wild over Burrows, he was just an average QB until the right coordinator came along. He broke the championship TD record of Heisman trophy winner Matt Leinart. The NFL is filled with Heisman busts. There is no guarantee that his skills will transfer well in the NFL. Or that Brady's schemes will transfer to the NFL.

There are plenty of QB's who are just a coordinator away from being average. Being in the right system helps immensely. If they tried to make Lamar Jackson a pocket passer like Tom Brady, he'd have average numbers too. Whatever Joe Brady did with Burrow, it turned into one of if not the greatest collegiate QB performance ever and quite possibly the best offensive performance in the history of college football and that was only 3 years removed from Les Mile's offenses which were atrocious. I just don't see that as a coincidence to write off Burrow. The guy was crazy accurate.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I would usually agree to trade up if you really need a QB, put the Panthers have so many needs right now, especially at O line, they need as many picks as they can get. Need to shore up O Line, D line, need a solid number 2 corner, and need LB help too.

You could address all of those issues and the Panthers would still flop because of their QB woes.

It reminds me of Aaron Rodgers and how many guys around him he made look so much better. Guys like James Jones who looked really good playing with Aaron then goes to Oakland and looks average then comes back to GB and is a 900 yard receiver again. Same with Jordy Nelson. And then you look at the guys on the offensive line with Aaron, David Bakhtiari who is regarded by many as the best offensive tackle in football and most haven't even heard of him. And how many RB's have run through that offense and looked really good? Eddie Lacy in those early years, Ty Montgomery and now Aaron Jones. It's been plug and play like that for years and the only constant was Aaron Rodgers. Simply put, the right QB will elevate everybody else around him. Joe Burrow's accuracy and decision making set that LSU offense apart from everyone else and I see no reason why that won't translate to the next level.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
He's not an old man sacrificing his health...........he's 28 and probably has another 60'ish years to live. He's doing it right! He's going out by his own decision rather than being carted off the field.

Football is not a 3-month job. It's the rigors and sweat of 12 months.
I'm not dogging the guy good for him for retiring glad he can all I'm saying is I know Lot coal miners that have more dangeeous job and live with many side effects for lot less to feed families. I wish everyone good health I guess I just have more respect for working people than adults playing a game for millions, its just my 2 cents on matter I hope he goes on to coach or whatever and lives happy healthy life

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
The price they’d have to pay for Burrow would cripple the franchise for a long, long time.

No way, not at all. We’re only talking trading up what, 5 spots? I’ve seen way more aggressive moves and not only that but without Kuechly, the Panthers now have an extra $30m to spend in 2020 and 2021.

They could likely make the move on trading picks and/or cash let alone cripple the franchise for years. Not having a QB will set you back further. It’s all in whether or not Tepper can justify Burrow.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
It will cost way to much to move up for Burrows given that Cincy wants him and it would take a Kings ransom to trade out of #1.
If Cam isnt coming back I would ride it out with Allen unless the guy from Alabama or the QB from Oregon happen to fall.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Panthers trade up 1 spot with the Chargers, take 6'6" 237 lb. QB Justin Herbert from Oregon. WIll work out better in the long run, as it leaves money to by a MLB, and Herbert is no joke!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Panthers trade up 1 spot with the Chargers, take 6'6" 237 lb. QB Justin Herbert from Oregon. WIll work out better in the long run, as it leaves money to by a MLB, and Herbert is no joke!
I'm not panthers fan but if I was I would pray they don't take him I've watched many of his games and he has mediocre written all over him. for sure no one I'd trade or give up anything for I've watched him choke and stink it up against average college defenses. Of course this is just my 2 cents but I'd put money on in 5 years he'd be that

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I've watched Joe Burrow all year and I think when he gets to rhe pro level, he's another Cam Newton without the size. Just the attitude. He'll be a piece of work. If he tries to run like he did this year.... He'll get beat to pieces aka RG3.
He's a pouter too... he'll be drama. Useless, in my opinion.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Im not even a panthers fan and Luke was one of my favorite players to ever play in the NFL. Smart, tough and played with class, never called attention to himself.

I think some folks might be forgetting how many concussions he has had over the years. I am sure he is starting to see effects from that made the right call. We all remember what happened to Junior Seau.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
The new owner hiring a college coach instead of an experienced professional tells me he wants to start rebuilding instead of working with what he already has. Cam is probably gone, Luke is retiring, probably Olsen too. McCaffrey should try to get on a team that will get him a championship and that ain’t thePanthers.

I dont think there is anyway the Bengals are gonna trade out of that pick without someone giving up the farm. Tom Brady is a free agent though.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If I was Cincinnati, I would do anything to sucker a team like Carolina into a trade that would get a bunch of future #1 picks and their best players. While everyone is going wild over Burrows, he was just an average QB until the right coordinator came along. He broke the championship TD record of Heisman trophy winner Matt Leinart. The NFL is filled with Heisman busts. There is no guarantee that his skills will transfer well in the NFL. Or that Brady's schemes will transfer to the NFL.
I agree about the quarterback/heisman busts but disagree about Joe Brady. For every first round that pans out (Eli or Peyton or Ben Roethlisberger) there is a Drew Brees or Brett Favre or Tom Brady that isn't a first round pick. The Panther's new head coach seems to have parameters of what he wants in players at certain positions, and therefore seems unlikely to simply give the farm away for Burrows because he's a hot item.

Joe Brady doesn't seem to be reinventing the wheel, he seems to be doing the conventional exceedingly well. He coached in the NFL as an assistant with the Saints during two winning years before LSU. I see no reason he won't be successful at his job.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Joe Brady doesn't seem to be reinventing the wheel, he seems to be doing the conventional exceedingly well. He coached in the NFL as an assistant with the Saints during two winning years before LSU. I see no reason he won't be successful at his job.

Joe Brady himself describes his position with the Saints as "an assistant to an assistant". You make it sound like he was a key coach in New Orleans success.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_3845cfe2-2e6a-11ea-a164-87b21393dd7f.html

College coaches don't alway do so well in the NFL. One of the most successful college coaches was a complete flop in the NFL. Any Miami Dolphin fan will know who that coach is.

Last edited:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Joe Brady himself describes his position with the Saints as "an assistant to an assistant". You make it sound like he was a key coach in New Orleans success.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_3845cfe2-2e6a-11ea-a164-87b21393dd7f.html

College coaches don't alway do so well in the NFL. One of the most success college coaches has a complete flop in the NFL. Any Miami Dolphin fan will know who that coach is.

and I still despise Saban for that....the way he handled it and that he set the franchise back a decade by going with culpepper over Brees........ Dont forget the 'ole ball coach.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

College coaches don't alway do so well in the NFL. One of the most successful college coaches has a complete flop in the NFL. Any Miami Dolphin fan will know who that coach is.
You're absolutely right, but we don't have the same easily visible track record for Coordinators as opposed to head coaches. A great Collegiate head coach is a good recruiter first and foremost. Robbed of his ability to woo talent and dependent on a GM to bring it in, a HEAD coach has to deal with greater parity in general.

There are plenty of coordinators that have demonstrated competence at the Professional level and failed as collegiate head coaches. Recruiting, being a huge cause.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup not lot college guys do well in pros but some do Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson come to mind. Pro is just diffetent type of management

country

Ten Pointer
Hope he can stay healthy. Finally getting a real quarterback to throw him the ball...