Lucky little dude...or dudette.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was out working yesterday in a Bermuda hay field in Onslow Co. I heard something "bleating" behind me. I turned around and this little guy was making his way to me on a bee line. I'm thinking "It thinks I'm mama". It gets to about 15 feet from me, stops and realizes "That ain't mama!" It turns and starts to run but the grass is so tall and thick and it is so tiny that it has a very hard time making any headway. So, it goes about 10 feet and just plops down lying dead still. I'm guessing it couldn't be more than a few days old. Lucky for it that it encountered me rather than some kind of predator. I left it alone, because I'm sure mama was nearby. I hope it learned a valuable lesson from the experience.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had the same thing happen to me one time. I am guessing they learn quick that every noise coming through the woods isn't always mama coming back to them.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Had a sad experience with a fawn here today. Theres a little patch of high grass and a couple trees on the edge of a field. I had been seeing mama eating there a few times and figured she chose that spot to have her fawn. Well she got hit by a car and was laying there dead 3 days ago.......today the buzzards are fighting over the fawn laying dead in the field.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Dang shaggy, that’s sad to hear. Always make me sad when the buzzards are fighting over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBB1

Spike
That’s rough, I have a pair of twins raising behind the house, we usually catch a glimpse of them every couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk