LTB my first 1911 in 45acp

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I don't know much about the 1911. I have held a couple, I prefer the full size with the full beaver tail. Any brands I should stay away from?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Be serious and ask yourself what are you really going to do with the 1911. If you just want one "just because" or just for a fancy bbq pistol and it has to be a brand "X" then get the one you want. If you plan to use it for self defense, practical shooting, hunting, competition, etc... get one tailored towards the end uses you have in mind.

Here's a good article on 1911's. The prices are dated but the information is still accurate. https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/1911s-good-bad-ugly/

<>< Fish

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
If you are looking for something with a little history you should check out the CMP. They have had 2 lotteries for USGI surplus 1911’s. I got mine in the first batch.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Be serious and ask yourself what are you really going to do with the 1911. If you just want one "just because" or just for a fancy bbq pistol and it has to be a brand "X" then get the one you want. If you plan to use it for self defense, practical shooting, hunting, competition, etc... get one tailored towards the end uses you have in mind.

Here's a good article on 1911's. The prices are dated but the information is still accurate. https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/1911s-good-bad-ugly/

<>< Fish
Just because 👍

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Its all what you want!
I have several different brands, colts, remington, Ithaca, Kimber, RI, springfield......

All good guns, just depends on money, history, need and likes.

For the price it is hard to do better then springfield or RI.
For history some if the early 1911 guns or later 1911A1.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I should add that I bought a basic R.I. 1911 and added a beaver tail and skeletonized hammer.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Can anyone confirm that RI builds on old Colt machinery? I’ve been told this but haven’t confirmed.

Ruger makes a solid 1911, too.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you cut the tail or drop in?
RIA also does not have the FP safety. That was one reason I stopped buying colt, kimber and others.
I used a drop in, Wilson Combat I believe it was.

I am comfortable with the 70 but I will say that years ago I did drop a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup (carrying mexican while running!) and it did uneventfully strike muzzle first on concrete. Whenever I recall that memory it seems to replay in slow-motion for some reason.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am comfortable with the 70 but I will say that years ago I did drop a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup (carrying mexican while running!) and it did uneventfully strike muzzle first on concrete. Whenever I recall that memory it seems to replay in slow-motion for some reason.
Ouch!! If like me, you were probably running in slow motion.