Low profile barrel nuts for AR 15

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I received a barrel nut with a upper kit and I've never quite seen one like it. It's got flats like as if to use a adjustable wrench and a spanner slot as well. I know I can guess pretty well at the torque with the adjustable wrench but this is a very light duty nut that I'm not at all used to but it's made to fit the free floating handguard.
It's slim enough that the gas tube is above it and goes directly into the upper receiver.
Has anyone dealt with this kind of barrel nut before and any issues?

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It looks like it should’ve had a wrench/ratchet attachment to fit it.

I’m guessing a standard armorers wrench won’t work with it?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A standard armorers wrench doesn't have anything that matches the pattern on the end. I think a crowfoot wrench would work for the flats and that's probably what I'll end up using. I can borrow one from the autoparts store since this may be a one and done for me using this brand of handguard.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep Crowsfoot or adjustable wrench will work.
There is a wrench for that pattern, looks like a DD type pattern. They have a wrench that looks like a castle nut for stocks.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
15900190729901806690026.jpg15900191283951066071750.jpg1590019181818511879846.jpg

Many places sell them for 5 to 20$
Most shops have them setting around if you check your local store.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got the two that look like enclosed spanners but they aren't the same pattern. I'm thinking that I can measure the flats and hopefully a crowsfoot will work.
I've done similar but nothing as thin as this one.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Was the handguard marked?
Must be a first gen or knock off,.not seeing any barrel nuts like that on current FF handguards.
CMMG and MWI used some that looked close to that.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Was the handguard marked?
Must be a first gen or knock off,.not seeing any barrel nuts like that on current FF handguards.
CMMG and MWI used some that looked close to that.
I bought it as a upper kit from Delta Tactical...I won't be doing that again...but I can't find any markings on any of the parts except the gas block. It's a very well made handguard and fits nice and tight when I matched it up to the receiver as a test so I think it's a quality part that they had made from a decent maker. It fits like a scorpion handguard but doesn't have the scorpion style holes.