Low end smokeless MZ?

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Shot my first black powder deer around 42 years ago with a CVA 45 Caliber flintlock kit gun. Killed around 15 over the years with CVA 45cal inline but thinking of going smokeless. I no longer enjoy spending 30-60 minutes cleaning the gun or deer becoming invisible in a cloud of smoke after the shot. But still enjoy challenge of restricting myself to only one shot (usually). So what is a good low-end smokeless gun now that Savage got out of that market? Any input would be much appreciated. I reload center-fire and shotgun so understand importance of staying within published safe loads.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
CVA Scout 45/70 Conversio can be done for around $650. TC Encore around $1100. Past that the skys the limit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not smokeless but not far from it. Blackhorn 209 cleans up very easy. I run 2-3 wet patches and one oiled patch and done.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you was having a 45/70 conversation who would you send the barrel to.
Jeff Fisk at Bestill Custom Creations or Hollis Weber at center Punch LLC. Get all the parts from arrowheadsportinggoods.com

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the inputs.

Does Blackhorn 209 make a brief cloud of dense smoke after the shot?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have a tc encore 45/70 with savage bp.
SS 24".
May end up selling due to just not using
If you have a frame it would be a good starter.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would contact 1SHOT1KILL via PM on this forum and see what he suggests. He's a good guy and the guru on smokeless muzzleloading.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Wow, lots of good input here. I am shooting Goex FFg . I better get with the times and try some Blackhorn 209 in order to reduce smoke and ease cleanup. Thanks all...

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wow, lots of good input here. I am shooting Goex FFg . I better get with the times and try some Blackhorn 209 in order to reduce smoke and ease cleanup. Thanks all...
What gun are you shooting? Blachorn needs a magnum 209 primer and a different breech plug in some guns.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I am shooting a CVA Eclipse, 54 caliber using Number 11 percussion caps. The breech plug got stuck at least 10 years ago, although I never took it to a gunsmith or sent it back to CVA. By now, even a gunsmith probably won't be able to remove the breech plug.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am shooting a CVA Eclipse, 54 caliber using Number 11 percussion caps. The breech plug got stuck at least 10 years ago, although I never took it to a gunsmith or sent it back to CVA. By now, even a gunsmith probably won't be able to remove the breech plug.

BH209 won't fire in that. You'll need a ML that takes 209 primers and stay away from the "muzzle loader" 209 primers, they are weak.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Looks like I won't be going down the Blackhorn 209 trail unless VA gunsmith gets my breechplug out. Thanks for helping me avoid wasted effort and $$.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had you tried on the breach plug? I’ve had a few get stuck in pretty solid and between multiple penetrating oils and ATF, I have gotten them out. One of them eventually had to be in a vise and use a hammer to get it to start moving.

herman

Six Pointer
If you are interested in smokless check this one out.Will make you a good deal

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Herman, thanks but that's about my budget (unless I sell some other toys).

Pattersonj11, thanks for the reminder. It has been several years since I tried. Meanwhile I have gained a lot of experience unfreezing stuck bolts on outboards, mowers, etc. BTW I have not had best results with acetone/ATF. I have used both old and new forms of ATF--they are immiscible liquids like oil and vinegar. When I apply the mixture it goes onto the frozen area as either ATF or acetone, but not a thoroughly mixed, homogeneous liquid. Best try has been to shake thoroughly then squirt quickly.

Has anyone been able to get ATF and acetone to mix?

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I converted an Encore 209x50 to smokeless. Bought an Arrowhead barrel, bullets, resizing die, and their primer system. Just sighted in yesterday; 60gr H4198 with their 275 grain bullet(no sabot) and CCI BR Large rifle primers 3/4” group at 100 yards pushing 2600fps. Been wanting to do it for a long time. I’ve shot BH209 since it came out but it’s still dealing with cleanup and smoke. Around $1100 if you have an Encore frame.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I converted an Encore 209x50 to smokeless. Bought an Arrowhead barrel, bullets, resizing die, and their primer system. Just sighted in yesterday; 60gr H4198 with their 275 grain bullet(no sabot) and CCI BR Large rifle primers 3/4” group at 100 yards pushing 2600fps. Been wanting to do it for a long time. I’ve shot BH209 since it came out but it’s still dealing with cleanup and smoke. Around $1100 if you have an Encore frame.
This is 100% the way to go. Glad you like it and have had an easy transition.