Lost dog, Claremont N.C.

Einstein

Six Pointer
A shot in the dark here, but my hunting buddy escaped his kennel and then the back yard fence last night (August 1st) at approximate 9:45pm. I don’t really know why, as he never once has gotten out his kennel or fence. I was originally afraid someone had stolen him, but I’ve watched the security camera and it appears he wandered out on his own.

He is a 3 year old black male Labrador. He is an absolute machine and has traveled the country with me chasing ducks. As anyone whose trained a dog before knows, I have countless hours with him over the past few years. My biggest fear is someone who knows a little about dogs could have picked him up and is planning to keep him. The only real distinguishing marks are that’s he’s about 56lbs and has a small notch missing in the tip of his right ear where he got caught in a barbed wire fence. I also have his DNA on record if proof of ownership is needed. Please let me know if you have heard about/seen him in the Catawba County area.

a1144bb50d4015512f883b276ad0babe.jpg

20cad7761b7362f881070e21940e6293.jpg

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Dog in heat close enough possibly cause him to leave?
I second this suggestion. Gus broke out of his fence and went almost 2.5 miles like the crow flies for a dog in heat. Took me 3 days to find him. And only found him because a neighbors dog broke out and went to the same place.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What part of Claremont? I live off Hwy 16 close to Taylorsville and my dad lives off Hwy 10 close to country market i'm going over there later today will keep eye out, ? does he have a collar on? what's his name?

Einstein

Six Pointer
What part of Claremont? I live off Hwy 16 close to Taylorsville and my dad lives off Hwy 10 close to country market i'm going over there later today will keep eye out, ? does he have a collar on? what's his name?

At the intersection of Bethany Church and Wishing well lane. I’m about a half a mile from the country market, on the Claremont side of Bethany Church rd. He did not have a collar on, his name is Tar. He’d come to just about anyone who calls his name or does a few blasts on a whistle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I’m in Sherrills Ford but I’ll keep my eyes peeled on FB yardage groups and stuff for the area and let you know if I see anything.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just rolled through Claremont. Didn't see him at Hardees, which was slow as heck btw.

I'm thinking like some others that there might be a dog in heat nearby.

Fudd

Four Pointer
I live about a mile from you on the other side of hwy. 10 off of Bethany Church road. I will watch out my way and let you know if I see anything.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Utilize social media. Lost a lab for two weeks once and found it through Facebook. Facebook has a page for lost dogs. Craigslist is also a good source. Males can smell a female that is in heat over 3 miles away. Make sure you also notify local shelter. Does he have a chip? I have been there and it is a terrible feeling hope you find him.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I hate to say this because the thought of it will drive you mad. If you have a friend that is in local Law Enforcement ask them if there are any local pit bull owners that they suspect conduct dog fights. Those sick criminals like to use Labs as bait dogs before a fight because of their size and nature not to fight.

Einstein

Six Pointer
So still no word, haven’t had a single person say they have seen him. I’ve contacted every law enforcement agency and they were very willing and sent a picture to deputies/officers if they were in the area and had seen him wandering. I’ve been pretty big on social media as well. Contacted all local animal shelters and animal control as well, all to no avail.

I’ve knocked in about every door within miles and have been on the road pretty much 24/7 looking.

Not a word. Almost as if he’s disappeared into thin air.

Keep searching for me!

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Prayers from here there’s a huge difference in losing a dog and losing a hunting partner. I’ve spent more quality time with my dog than I have with my wife.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would hold out hope someone has a dog in heat and is pinned up and he is camped out in hopes of getting to her.

I would and I know you’re going nuts worrying over him. All I can do is wish you a happy outcome to this.

Einstein

Six Pointer
Glad to report this ol’ rat is back home. Luckily, an honest person saw him out and put him in their basement. They then called animal control who called me immediately. Big shoutout to Catawba County Animal Control who went beyond their duty to see I got him back. Thanks for all you guys getting the word out.

56c6d1b4795a62f020bc70766bcf5a7c.jpg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man I am glad for you. I may be out of place but if it were me I would go straight to Tractor Supply and get their low voltage electric fence. It is the cheapest one that have,about 30 bucks. Also get a few of the fiberglass 3/8" fence posts and weave them in his kennel at the top and then get the insulators that go on them and run a hot wire around the top. That will stop the great escape. He may try it once or twice then that will be the end of it.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man I am glad for you. I may be out of place but if it were me I would go straight to...
....gun dog supply and buy an engraved collar with your contact info for $15, and put it on him!

Very glad you found him. Personally I’d hate to have that amount invested in a nondescript black dog without a collar with info. I know the one time mine disappeared at an offsite location, at least I knew if someone wanted to find the owner all they had to do was read the tag. I don't know a hunting dog alive that hasn’t run off a time or 3.