Loooong track doe recovery success!!

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
Went in today to a new scrape that’s seeing lots of action. I put a camera there Friday AM and wanted to peek at the pics to see what time they were coming to it.
e032b6344ad931ac66957d232129dd7c.jpg
7:55 AM yesterday....look at my watch it’s 6:45....shoot daylight savings time so no time to get my climber on the tree. I ditched it in brush and found a wide oak tree just down over a hill enough to where I could be on the ready and get the shot off. I had the wind. By 7:45 I had a doe walk 20 yds in front of me. Crossbow already up I shot her. But no pass through. I felt confident in my shot though. She was angled more than I thought and my shot hit in front of her shoulder and stuck in her opposite shoulder. I didn’t get a pass through. I tracked her for about 3/4 mile, up and down steep terrain through briars, over 4 creeks and six fences and Finally after she jumped into a pen of donkeys I gave up and turned around. I'd given up so many times already but decided to walk around the other side of the fenced Pen where the field finally descends to the river just to see if I could by chance find blood. Well there she was, bedded down still alive head up looking at me 20 yards away. I couldn't believe it. I quickly finished her with another arrow.

I lost the trail so many times and had to crawl around on hands and knees with no blood at times. I was finally just going by instinct of where I think the deer would or should go and eventually would find the blood again sometimes 50 yards away from the last drop. This was my biggest tracking challenge to date and I’m proud of myself for sticking with it.
Shot her at 7:20. Found her at 9:45 for the finals shot. Took another 4 hours to get her quartered and out of the woods with the help of my kids and their backpacks. It was just so steep that I couldn't budge her.
1fbeec98b612bbcb0444fbfacfb3b16f.jpg
e85e789347b228f439f921415c70c379.jpg
29f5397924a5a939c93f1ec677363049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I admire hunters like WNCTracker. Too many times I hear stories of people "making a good hit" and not putting the work in to follow it up. Heard the same story up here this morning. Waited about 10 minutes after the shot after seeing the deer go down in a cutover and ended up jumping the deer back up and losing it. "Could never find any blood but his shoulder was messed up and leg was just flopping" so he tromped around in the cutover, never finding anything and went out. First, you have to have the knowledge of what you are looking for and doing when you track, then you have to have the patience to wait before taking up the track. There is a lot more to it than some folks realize and their results show it. Great job WNC.