Looking for mentor in Raleigh area

ReconWolf

Button Buck
Been working on getting into duck hunting for the past year - is anyone willing to mentor a newbie ? I have the gear but haven't had the courage to go solo just yet ...I have done some scouting and fishing for fun around Jordan and found some birds... Thanks in advance

nettereo16

Six Pointer
You can pull it off solo! There's not much to shooting wood ducks. If you are finding them on Jordan you know where they want to be. You dont need to call and you can get away without decoys for woodies if you're where they like they hang out.

Get there early! Be courteous and dont set up close to others if they get there first.
Know what a cormorant and grebe are and dont shoot those....
Set your expectations low, this is not youtube. If you kill a duck on public you had a pretty good day. Get out there and enjoy it!

Source -- I'm a self-taught NC public land duck hunter

Last edited:

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
I live up just outside of Raleigh, I don't hunt public land much this way anymore, but have hunted Falls, Jordan and Harris in the past, a whole bunch. Send me a PM and I'll be glad to help where I can. Another option is to look up the NCSU Ducks Unlimited or Raleigh DU events and meetings. That's a great way to meet good people locally.

Adam1371

Button Buck
I live in Ramseur and take my boat to Jordan all the time for hunting by myself. If you want to tag along shoot me a message. I’m not a guide or a veteran waterfowler though. This will be my 5th year duck hunting