Looking FOR another cooler?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looking another cooler!
Have my eyes on something in the 45 range. Want something that will hold up and stable for hunting, fishing, stand on top or set on.

Have an Rtic 20 I use now for bait on the boat. Was looking another just like it for food and drinks for day trips. Started looking for another 20 Rtic and they are sold out for now. So I started looking at their Rtic 45. If I recall it within a few inches of the 20 but like 5 inch longer and 5 lb heavier.
So in thinking about it why not?

Is there another cooler like it in the 200$ or less?
Only be used for food, drinks and ice on the boat and same for hunting just carry to the clubhouse for the weekend. The 20 would do fine but if you add drinks you will never get a bag if ice in, or it is a fight. And you can not use a basket inside for snacks if you have any bottle type drinks.
For the little more room the 45 would take up maybe it is a better fit.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thought you were a yeti guy....

The cooler threads are always very opinionated, I was skeptical of the yeti and the price but after owning one they are worth the little extra cost up front. 299 for the 45

I have a yeti 45 and imagine it will last my lifetime

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thought you were a yeti guy....

The cooler threads are always very opinionated, I was skeptical of the yeti and the price but after owning one they are worth the little extra cost up front. 299 for the 45

I have a yeti 45 and imagine it will last my lifetime
Yep I love the YETI. Have 4 of them. They are great, even better when I was getting them at more then 50% off.

With most all the gun shops stopped selling them that deal went away.
I also have Rtic and Pelican. There are good and bad in all of them.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I have a pelican 70 and its so damn heavy i never use it anymore. I paid out the nose for it. If I had it to do over again, Rtic all the way

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a small Yetti I got as a gift. In comparable use, it will not keep ice any better that a cheap Coleman Marine about the same size. And is twice as heavy and holds about 1/2 as much. It rarely ever gets used. If packed full of ice and left closed for a week, it would likely hold ice better than the coleman but that is not how I use coolers.

In a boat, I would think space and weight would be important considerations. For day trips or weekends, the less expensive coolers work fine for me. Your mileage may vary! And I do not need the stickers!

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had the Walmart Ozark cooler for 5 years and it’s been on a many of trips and carried many dead animals and beers. No problems and no complaints.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep did not want to start a brand war. That was not what I was after.
What you think about the 45 size? Big but not too big, one person move it fine?

I have a 45 and 65 Yeti, very similar dimensions to the RTIC.
The 45 can be moved by one person, and I’ve floated many miles in a canoe with it on the New River. The 65 is too big and too heavy.
Holds enough for three guys and a couple nights worth of cold provisions.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 45 and 65 Yeti, very similar dimensions to the RTIC.
The 45 can be moved by one person, and I’ve floated many miles in a canoe with it on the New River. The 65 is too big and too heavy.
Holds enough for three guys and a couple nights worth of cold provisions.
Thanks.
I think a 45 will be what I want.

Down at Santee now. Packing the Rtic 20. For tomorrow with drinks and some food it is packed. I ended up putting water and G2 along with propel in the freezer now. There is not much room for ice with the drinks needed for all day and 80 ish degrees.

This was an 100 qt cooler today. Not mine. Those are some of the biggest I have seen. Some were 2 lbs.20210409_174108.jpg

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks guys.
Great feed back.
Yep I need bigger than 20.
40 to 45 should fit. Plan to look more when I return home and get something in the 40 to 45 size.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
My Rtic 45 has proven to a good compromise between size-weight-ice keeping. I've had it since 2017 and can't think of anything I'd want to change about it except the color. Also the Rtic 45 is 45qt unlike the Yetis. The newer lightweight Rtic coolers look great but I have not purchased one yet.

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My Rtic 45 has proven to a good compromise between size-weight-ice keeping. I've had it since 2017 and can't think of anything I'd want to change about it except the color. Also the Rtic 45 is 45qt unlike the Yetis. The newer lightweight Rtic coolers look great but I have not purchased one yet.

<>< Fish
Color was also one if the things I would change.
I have a few tan yeti coolers and they get hot. Too hot to sit on when in the boat.
For sure will do a white or the light gray cooler Rtic offers.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Love my Orion cooler. Got it as a factory blemish. They are not cheap but built like a tank and made in the USA.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Where are you at Santee?? I'll be at Hill's Landing Monday around noon and stay all week......
I stayed at Blacks Camp but we went out of Hills.
They have cleaned up Hills a lot with the new owners.
All of them have good bait now and the live bait store before the turn to Hills.

There were some big waves today. Several boats had problems and took water.
Anytime you see them bail with a bucket you know their pump can't keep up or is broke.

Blacks had a bass tournament over 100 boats. It was a mad house and some of them got beat up bad one the waves talking to some of them.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I stayed at Blacks Camp but we went out of Hills.
They have cleaned up Hills a lot with the new owners.
All of them have good bait now and the live bait store before the turn to Hills.

There were some big waves today. Several boats had problems and took water.
Anytime you see them bail with a bucket you know their pump can't keep up or is broke.

Blacks had a bass tournament over 100 boats. It was a mad house and some of them got beat up bad one the waves talking to some of them.

They must have been on Moultrie?? The client I'm taking wants to beat the cypress trees on Marion with a fly rod. He's paying so we'll be beating the trees......
Anything would be an improvement since the last time I went to Hills, hell I came home and went to the doctor and got a tetanus shot!! A friend also said there had been some positive changes.
When are you heading home?? We'll be there Monday afternoon.... Office hours....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They must have been on Moultrie?? The client I'm taking wants to beat the cypress trees on Marion with a fly rod. He's paying so we'll be beating the trees......
Anything would be an improvement since the last time I went to Hills, hell I came home and went to the doctor and got a tetanus shot!! A friend also said there had been some positive changes.
When are you heading home?? We'll be there Monday afternoon.... Office hours....

Got home late. Last night.
They had the office opened early. 6am
Was one of the changes, others said they show up when they wanted. People waiting for bait all the time and gear. Now the claim is they want to be there any time the fissherman need them.
BTW
Hills fixed their ramp. Lot nicer.