Looking for a spot no more than 2 hrs from durham

chef

Ten Pointer
Now that "we are a fishing family" (10 y old words), my kids are asking when we can go fishing again.

Can anyone point me to a brackish/salt water spot as close to durham as possible?

Looking for a bank/wading area for flounder, spec, sheepshead etc. Any suggestions are much appreciated

la angler

Six Pointer
I don't think you can be to that type of water in two hours of Durham. I guess the Wilmington area might be the fastest to you but I don't know that area. I fish mostly near new bern or morehead city

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I don't think you can be to that type of water in two hours of Durham. I guess the Wilmington area might be the fastest to you but I don't know that area. I fish mostly near new bern or morehead city

Are you bank fishing around New bern/Morehead or using a boat?

chef

Ten Pointer
You bump that to 3 hours and your options increase 10 fold.
yes, i know. unfortunately, 6 hours in the car + fishing during the day does not work with the age of the kids. i would definitely do that if we were spending the night somewhere, but if we are looking at down and back in the same day, we are looking at 2 hours. it might not be possible, which is an answer also.

chef

Ten Pointer
If you just want to get the kids into fish, why go all the way to salt/brackish water? Plenty of freshwater options within an hour or so of Durham.
absolutely, we are going to the eno which is literally in our backyard. but they love the coastal fish. the are really interested in those fish especially if we are going to be keeping any.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
absolutely, we are going to the eno which is literally in our backyard. but they love the coastal fish. the are really interested in those fish especially if we are going to be keeping any.
Gotcha. I live in North Raleigh, and can be on Mercer's Pier in Wrightsville Beach in 2 hours. This is not the right time of year, though. Too hot, and few fish. Much better in October.

witler

Eight Pointer
Make that 2.5 hours and you can fish Wrightsville Beach. You have Johnnie Mercer's pier, on North end is Mason Inlet and on South end is Masonboro Inlet.
Be prepared, they charge to park everywhere and it is not cheap.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, the Wilmington area is gonna be the closest to you. Topsail beach and Carolina beach are a little cheaper than Wrightsville. If you have a boat there are several boat ramps in the area.