Looking for a mentor.

McNett

Button Buck
This is my first season hunting in NC, I was wondering if anyone could be a mentor. I never hunted growing up, and not looking for any honey holes just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I’m willing to put in the work just not confident in going out solo yet. Located in Hubert.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Wish you were closer I’d help out… but plenty of good forum fellows down that way… I’m sure someone will step up

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
This is my first season hunting in NC, I was wondering if anyone could be a mentor. I never hunted growing up, and not looking for any honey holes just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I’m willing to put in the work just not confident in going out solo yet. Located in Hubert.
In NC starting hunting by targeting waterfowl is a good way to get discouraged. Public areas that hold waterfowl are crowded. So I recommend hunting squirrels initially then deer (which you can scout for while hunting squirrels). Croatan Nat Forest has some decent deer hunting especially if you hunt closer to roads where deer doggers don't hunt so much (don't want dogs to get hit by vehicles). Although I did kill 1 nice buck in an area where there is a lot of dog hunting. Good luck.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I recommend hunting squirrels

yup,,,, I am a HUGE fan of squirrels as starter game for new hunters,,,,

ducks are good too,,, but the learning curve is a might steeper,,,

if you're bent on only ducks,,, then I'd recommend guided hunts till you find a mentor/friend who duck hunts,,,

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
join a skeet/trap club for starters, learn how and when to shoot, proper form and all that fun stuff, at least you will learn how to hit stuff thats flying by you. From there if your social skills are good, you will meet new friends and the discussion will eventually turn to hunting, from there you may get an invite or at least helpful hints
Check out the local DU chapter, put in some time with their projects, get known and again it will greatly help if your not a goof - most goofs dont realize they are goofs lol
Seriously though, check out the local chapters of DU, Turkey fed, quails, whatever is out there where you can put some time learning and helping, the more people get to know you the better the chances of some opportunities

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@McNett hope you find someone. I ain’t start till age 30 (I’ll be 36 soon). This forum pretty much was my mentor until I started connecting with local guys. I scoured every section of this forum daily and wanted to learn how to do it all, all at once. I don’t know that I’d recommend that approach to anyone lol. But at the time, it’s what I needed. Kept me busy and outta trouble. Ironically , a duck hunt is one of the few things I haven’t done yet. There’s a great bunch here. Some have become like family to me

McNett

Button Buck
@McNett hope you find someone. I ain’t start till age 30 (I’ll be 36 soon). This forum pretty much was my mentor until I started connecting with local guys. I scoured every section of this forum daily and wanted to learn how to do it all, all at once. I don’t know that I’d recommend that approach to anyone lol. But at the time, it’s what I needed. Kept me busy and outta trouble. Ironically , a duck hunt is one of the few things I haven’t done yet. There’s a great bunch here. Some have become like family to me
Same here. Hunted a little as a kid but never got into it. 30 now and just starting out.