Looking for a lightweight sealed spinning reel

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Just purchased one of the toadfish stowaway travel rods and looking for a decent sealed, lightweight reel for it. Mostly targeting trout and reds, occasionally get into some bigger reds. I'm thinking a 3000 or 4000 size would fit the bill but looking suggestions on which one. Ideally it would be cost effective and reliable but I know asking for all that in a less expensive reel is a real long shot but worth a try bjt im not looking to dump a ton into a travel rod that will stay in the truck. Any suggestions?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Any name brand 50$ reel will last a long time if you take care of it.

I’ve have always looked at fishing gear and most gear as.

I want quality not necessarily pay for a specific brand or the latest and greatest.

I can buy two great reels for what some people pay for one. Or rods. Or bows. Or arrows. Etc

If I was wealthy I might think different.

Any way shimano is a great brand.
I like lews and abu Garcia reels also.
Pfluger makes good ones and so does penn.

Fish have never cared what I caught them on.

Spend your money on some superline. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Im a fan of Penn, especially the Battle II for the money. If you want something that will last forever the Spinfishers are great and are sealed.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I bought a Florida Fishing Products reel, 4000 series and they're awesome. A guide friend down here uses them and had one which had the bearings smoked on a grouper. ( I got to watch that happen and it was amazing how an amateur can wreck fishing gear by not knowing how to properly fight a fish.) Anyhow, I told him I could fix it so I contacted Florida Fishing Products via email and they said, "we won't send you new bearings but send it to us and we'll fix it for free." So I did, and it's like brand new and didn't pay a dime. It's a small company but awesome warranty and repair program.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Daiwa BG is the best value in SW spinning reels. Can usually pick one up for ~$90 on amazon. I have 7 from 2000-3500 and they have been flawless. They run a bit large for their respective size when compared to Shimano, etc...so make sure you look at the specs to compare with a reel you are familiar with.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Since i still use a Cardinal 3 or two (from the 80s) I'm here to tell you that you dont need high dollar spinning reels.
I have so many different sizes and styles that i cant even recommend one over the other.
The next i may buy is a pflueger president. They sell for 50 bucks.
A tackle snob "expert friend" that spares no expense when needed says they are superior to daiwa and shimano.
But we both are fishing in sweet water.

Any of the reels mentioned in other's post will work. A spinning reel just cant be fancied up enough to actually help you in executing casts and the drag systems today are so good you'll be pleased with any of them.
Not an easy decision but not an expensive one either.
Have Fun!

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I use all Diawa bgs for my big drum fishing, they are great. Penn battle s are decent for the money. This year I bought a few okuma reels through their guide program. Azores blue 4000 with 20 lb power pro whipped a few big drum and yearlings under the popping cork no problem. 4000 is over kill for trout. I was pretty impressed with okuma, a few friends who are sponsored by them turned me on to them. It like any reel 50$ or more and rinse it, it should last long time.

Jlc11393

Spike
Shimano is a good one according to what a local commercial fisherman told me in Walmart at Shallote one time.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LMBO! And here my cheap azz is ....still catching fish on the same two $19.99 Diawa rod/reel combos I bought from Neuse Sports Shop 10 years ago........

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Since i still use a Cardinal 3 or two (from the 80s) I'm here to tell you that you dont need high dollar spinning reels.
I have so many different sizes and styles that i cant even recommend one over the other.
The next i may buy is a pflueger president. They sell for 50 bucks.
A tackle snob "expert friend" that spares no expense when needed says they are superior to daiwa and shimano.
But we both are fishing in sweet water.

Any of the reels mentioned in other's post will work. A spinning reel just cant be fancied up enough to actually help you in executing casts and the drag systems today are so good you'll be pleased with any of them.
Not an easy decision but not an expensive one either.
Have Fun!
depends on the level of the daiwa or shimano but a President is not a better reel that a daiwa or shimano if said reels cost over 50 bucks... presidents may be better that the cheap shimanos or daiwas but not if you spend 50 bucks . I have them and I do like the president but it is not better that a comparably priced S or D............

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
depends on the level of the daiwa or shimano but a President is not a better reel that a daiwa or shimano if said reels cost over 50 bucks... presidents may be better that the cheap shimanos or daiwas but not if you spend 50 bucks . I have them and I do like the president but it is not better that a comparably priced S or D............
well that's you opinion mack. My friend and sil begs to differ.
The friend has/does fish even more than you and the sil is coming on fast.
I havent fished one but the bar isnt too high on low end sand d's. I have plenty of them.