looking for a deer blind/stand - opinions please

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I have 2 tower stands but want to put another to the west of my property, have scaffolding set up and the goods to build a solid base, but want to pick up one of them one piece resin/plastic deer stands. When i come down next month i would like pick one up and have seen many different models and styles. I do not intend on breaking the bank either.
Saw some that snap together that peaked my interest, need at least a 4x4
So looking for recommendations and hope they are close enough to pick one up

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've hunted out of one of those black plastic deer blinds. Not sure which brand it was - there's more than a few of them out there. It was ok, nothing special. For a lot less you can build a solid plywood blind that with the right TLC will last you a long time. Doing so will allow you to customize it how you like (shelves, coat hangers, etc.), especially with good windows.

That said, if you're like me and don't have the space or HOA that will be happy with building one at home then I certainly understand building one isn't an option. My suggestion is to find one that you like the layout of inside and buy from a store with a good return policy.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We used to buy scrap or seconds of vinyl siding and make box stands that could be screwed together in minutes using "L" brackets and deck screws. We used them on the ground, on metal tripod platforms, on elevated wooden platforms and anywhere else we didn't want to put a "permanent" stand.
Building one out of white pine or spruce 2x2 is super easy and cheap and they lasted forever with a corrugated asphalt roof over 1/2 inch plywood that screwed into place using the same "L" bracket system.
They were light enough that a single person could lift the walls and screw them into place.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Should note that where i hunt is a little different weather wise than NC, example would be last winter, first snow came in October and last snow was early May. We had wooden built stands prior, they last about 10 years as long as the bears and porcupines leave them alone. One of my stands now had some repairs to the wooden stand legs due to big chew marks.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Working on this one as we speak. Get old and fat and you will appreciate 6x6x7 insulated on six sides, propane heater, swivel office chairs,etc. On a mountain top so does not need to be elevated which helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 23